Transmission slams into gear so hard that it feels like I just got rear ended | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission slams into gear so hard that it feels like I just got rear ended

Ted Rodriguez

Reaction score
City, State
Boerne, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Callsign
OVER1K
2013 Ford Explorer -
Sometimes the transmission slams into gear so hard that it feels like I just got rear ended with a big bang!

Transmission shops will probably take advantage of me unless I have some knowledge of what I'm talking about.

I read somewhere that this might be due to the problem of having a worn out solenoid in the vale body?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2013 Ford Explorer -
Sometimes the transmission slams into gear so hard that it feels like I just got rear ended with a big bang!

Transmission shops will probably take advantage of me unless I have some knowledge of what I'm talking about.

I read somewhere that this might be due to the problem of having a worn out solenoid in the vale body?
Welcome to the Forum Ted.:wave:
There have been others that have had the same issue. Does this happen when starting off from a stop or after you've been accelerating? How many miles on it?
Also, what is that Callsign? I was not able to find it in the QRZ Callsign Data base.

Peter

Mine does the same. Really notice it when I am stuck in slow traffic. 5-10mph stop and go. Seems like it holds 1st, then wham it slams into 2nd.

I already had a transmission failure at 16k miles. They rebuilt the tranny and it still sucks in my mind. Even went with a Livernois tuner, which did help a bit.

Overall, my biggest complaint with my Explorer is the transmission. I am willing to be it fails again before 100k miles.

Welcome to this forum! Did you check the fluid level in the transmission, and the rear universal joints on the driveshaft?
Supposedly all that was checked during my last oil change - 2 mos. ago.

Welcome to the Forum Ted.:wave:
There have been others that have had the same issue. Does this happen when starting off from a stop or after you've been accelerating? How many miles on it?
Also, what is that Callsign? I was not able to find it in the QRZ Callsign Data base.

Peter
It happens just like the other Explorer owner noted - When I'm in slow traffic 5-10mph stop and go. I read somewhere that
the problem is due to a worn-out solenoid in the valve body? iIm not a mechanic, but the transmission expert says to start there in hopes of saving big $$$. I have over 135k miles on my Explorer.

There was a TSB for the transmission slamming into gear. I had that happen to me when I first got the car. It just happened to me in traffic as well.

There was a TSB for the transmission slamming into gear. I had that happen to me when I first got the car. It just happened to me in traffic as well.
The TSB is listed in the 2011 + Explorer TSB thread in the 'Sticky' section. It applied to the 2011 Explorer.

Peter

Back