Vacuum Reservoir confusion...

Only1Mia

Reaction score
City, State
VISALIA, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi everyone...
I have a 97 Explorer 4.0 V6 SOHC... when I bought it there was a thing that looked like the float in a toilet tank... it was just kinda hanging around in the way and I did not know what it was or where it belonged...I searched around the forum and I think it was a vacuum reservoir... I have a vacuum leak now and my guess is its because I seem to have lost the float looking thing and I have two lines with nowhere to call home... I have looked everywhere and that does not seem to be a part for my Explorer so if anyone has a part number or knows what should be attached to those lines I would really appreciate some intel... thank you in advance...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I bought it it was just laying on top by the intake... I kept moving it around trying to figure out where it belonged and somewhere along the line I lost it...

It looks like this... I have not been able to find one for my Ex, they seem to be for 5.0l and newer Ford's...

IMG_0761.jpg

Dorman 47076 is about $15.00, might need a couple vacuum line connectors.

Reservoir should have vacuum check valve built into it, or you can add one to the inlet.

The vacuum ball is the same to all Gen II Explorers and Mountaineers. Engine doesn't matter.

I remember the first time I saw a vacuum reservoir was on my dad's new '65 T-Bird. It looked like (and probably was) a large grapefruit juice can painted black. It was used for the power door locks, rear window vent and maybe some HVAC controls. Any vehicle that uses vacuum motors has a vacuum reservoir and a check valve. On Explorer's the vac ball is bolted to the passenger side plastic inner fender right in front of the tire. You have to drop the plastic inner fender to see the ball.

The Dorman 47076 is not a fit for my truck... can I use it anyway??? Does it really matter...

So I got the Dorman 47076, had to get new line to make it reach where it was supposed to be and it seems to be running just fine... thanks to all for your help... I love this place...

The Dorman 47076 is not a fit for my truck... can I use it anyway??? Does it really matter...

A ball is a ball. As long as you can bolt it down and connect the 2 lines to it it'll be fine.

Words to live by...

A ball is a ball. As long as you can bolt it down and connect the 2 lines to it it'll be fine.
Where does the other line go one goes into my cab but the other one I don't know where it goes ?? Help

Thanx for your replies...albeit condescending! OK...first of all the interior lights flicker or fail; the power door locks fail; the CD player goes into a search loop; the pwr transfer case will not engage either High or Low. I have checked related fuses and relays with my multimeter and all are good. I have replaced driver's side door lock actuator AND pwr window motor. Well, I actually disassembled the unit and found broken plastic gears and tri-armed safety failsafe. I dumped out that S**t and replaced the arms with 8mm ball bearings! The mech. works awesome...just don't get your hand or arm in the "bite"...there is no failsafe and it will keep closing until the remaining plastic gears blow out! As far as the rest of the issues...they seem to only occur, like I said, when the temp gets below 38 degs Farenheit.

I had to get mine from a wrecking yard but it solved my AC coming through defrost vents issue. My vacuum globe had something loose inside

This is the ford part number I found for it

Genuine Ford Vacuum Reservoir F67Z-19A566-BA​

Back