2020 Explorer PIU | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer PIU

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No worse then the carbon monoxide coverage that hasn't affected sales.

I would like to think most have common sense when reading these crap reports.

I agree. Both the explorer and JGC. They'll both continue to be top sellers.

Technologically... now this is the Ford I like seeing coming out to play.

Are they still going to build a 100% gasoline PIU, or are they all hybrids going forward?

Notice, no PI Sedan. I wonder when that will officially die.

Yes to a gasoline PIU.

Yes the PI Sedan is officially dead

I think the next gen will be a 2021 model year. If anything will sway me by that point it's going to be that new Edge ST which looks pretty enticing.

New platform with stronger and more efficient engine would be a big plus, 10 speed engine lol. Maybe they will finally put the dreaded water pump in a more accessible place in the engine bay to satisfy the long term buyers. I like the Land Rover square type of look on explorer and I don't want to see major body changes, especially to more round or oval designs that some companies make. I think that as of now, explorer exterior looks 90 percent better then all other SUV's on the road. The interior is so outdated, they should make instrumental cluster more dynamic and the screen bigger. They should make the front seats with a knee extender. Make the sunroof bigger like in the Edge. Add heads up display on front windshield. Add some other latest technology that other car manufacturers offer.

Funny you mention that. Recently I had 2 of my coworkers say that the current gen Explorer looks kind of like a Range Rover. Both mentioned it as a positive thing.

Yes to a gasoline PIU.

Yes the PI Sedan is officially dead

Are they selling off the sedans at a discount? My town just bought a bunch, which was a surprise since they had only been buying Caprices for the last several years, and just bought several of those. The PI purchase seemed to be ahead of normal replacement schedule. They also just bought several new PIUs and switched at least one of the K9s from a Caprice to it. Previously, only patrol sergeants were in PIUs, except for a couple of HEAT units.

I think the next gen will be a 2021 model year. If anything will sway me by that point it's going to be that new Edge ST which looks pretty enticing.
The 2020 is the redesigned Explorer therefore I believe that will be the next generation. It will likely begin production in early 2019 as the 2019 is a short production model. 2019 Short Production

Peter

Are they selling off the sedans at a discount? My town just bought a bunch, which was a surprise since they had only been buying Caprices for the last several years, and just bought several of those. The PI purchase seemed to be ahead of normal replacement schedule. They also just bought several new PIUs and switched at least one of the K9s from a Caprice to it. Previously, only patrol sergeants were in PIUs, except for a couple of HEAT units.

GM stopped production on the Caprice a few years ago.

It was built in Australia so it was subject to NAFTA penalty when sold in Canada and USA. That duty penalty added enough to make it undesirable for most agencies, plus it wasn't that great anyways. It had the big V8 engine but the EcoBoost V6 or Hemi wasn't that much slower if at all.

They also took so long to ship that they became irrelevant in the police market.

Aftermarket equipment was also limited because take rate was minimal. Why would aftermarket companies do all the engineering when nobody has the vehicles in their fleet.

There was a small California Agency that waited forever for the V8 Caprices, got them and put one on the road and the front line staff hated them so they put the rest of them for sale. Huge discount and nobody was interested, wonder what happened to those ones.

Dodge Charger Pursuit has actually killed the PIS, ingress/egress issues along with small ****pit were the death of the PIS.

What will be interesting to see is this new Dodge Durango Pursuit, will it do well at MSP and LASD Car Testing?.....will agencies that were Ford PIU customers jump ship because of the PIU exhaust issues and buy Durangos?

I cant wait to see what happens at LASD Car Test in October.

Great info as usual @Sgt1411 and Phoenix PD has a few of the Caprices but they just look so large/awkward too...
The Durango will be interesting for sure, but FCA better keep stepping up their quality and I think the PUI has such a large market share that many will stay as I would suspect many parts for LEO may cross-fit from current to future PUI units in their fleets.

GM stopped production on the Caprice a few years ago.

It was built in Australia so it was subject to NAFTA penalty when sold in Canada and USA. That duty penalty added enough to make it undesirable for most agencies, plus it wasn't that great anyways. It had the big V8 engine but the EcoBoost V6 or Hemi wasn't that much slower if at all.

They also took so long to ship that they became irrelevant in the police market.

Aftermarket equipment was also limited because take rate was minimal. Why would aftermarket companies do all the engineering when nobody has the vehicles in their fleet.

There was a small California Agency that waited forever for the V8 Caprices, got them and put one on the road and the front line staff hated them so they put the rest of them for sale. Huge discount and nobody was interested, wonder what happened to those ones.

Dodge Charger Pursuit has actually killed the PIS, ingress/egress issues along with small ****pit were the death of the PIS.

What will be interesting to see is this new Dodge Durango Pursuit, will it do well at MSP and LASD Car Testing?.....will agencies that were Ford PIU customers jump ship because of the PIU exhaust issues and buy Durangos?

I cant wait to see what happens at LASD Car Test in October.

I had no idea. Everyone I've talked to here loved the Caprice, especially the V-8. They got new ones last year or late '16. There are still a handful of CVPIs on the road here, but no more than the PIs or PIUs. They've got some Caprices in the pool, awaiting new hires. The rest are Tahoes.

That does explain the deputy who lives near me that got a new Charger in place of his Caprice though. I don't think the SO has any new Fords.

I had no idea. Everyone I've talked to here loved the Caprice, especially the V-8. They got new ones last year or late '16. There are still a handful of CVPIs on the road here, but no more than the PIs or PIUs. They've got some Caprices in the pool, awaiting new hires. The rest are Tahoes.

That does explain the deputy who lives near me that got a new Charger in place of his Caprice though. I don't think the SO has any new Fords.

It would be interesting to see if they bought them from the California Agency that was selling them.......

The Tahoes are great if you can get them, GM did something really different with their Police Fleet business. Last year they said they were doing a run at the factory of 5000 Police PPV Tahoes and that's it.

I guess its adding complexity at the Texas Plant and is affecting the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade production.

Since these retail SUV's are GM largest profit maker it makes sense.

I would wait until 2023 to buy the new designed Explorers. That's what I did with the current Generation - bought the 2014 rather than 2011. Ford would work out the bugs first few years.

I would wait until 2023 to buy the new designed Explorers. That's what I did with the current Generation - bought the 2014 rather than 2011. Ford would work out the bugs first few years.
Can't wait that long if I want another Explorer. My 4 year lease is up in October 2020. Also, I was one of the first in my area to get the 2011 and it was great.

Peter

Can't wait that long if I want another Explorer. My 4 year lease is up in October 2020. Also, I was one of the first in my area to get the 2011 and it was great.

Peter
I did same. I was one of the first to get the 2011 Limited and it was awesome. I had the Bronze one and it looked Great !

The 2020 is the redesigned Explorer therefore I believe that will be the next generation. It will likely begin production in early 2020 as the 2019 is a short production model. 2019 Short Production

Peter

So the redesign Explorer 2020 will only start the production in 2020? I as hoping it would start the production in mid 2019, be available in late summer, fall of next year/2019. I hope that Ford makes Explorer even closer looking to Land Rover. The closer the better.

So the redesign Explorer 2020 will only start the production in 2020? I as hoping it would start the production in mid 2019, be available in late summer, fall of next year/2019. I hope that Ford makes Explorer even closer looking to Land Rover. The closer the better.
That is what Peter is saying. The 2019 will be a short production yr, so that the 2020 will be out late 2019 as a 2020. In the 2019 Auto Show you will se the 2020 model...

2020 Explorer starts next summer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If one looks at the GMC Traverse towards the back it slops down like the Range Rover. GMC jump the gun knowing that the Explorer will look more like the RR. The race is on for 2020which will be a revolutionary year for ALL AUTO MAKERS...!

Back