Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

Great pictures Chris.

With that assembly in place as pictured with the 141mm drive snout, how far is the belt location from the blower pulley? That's how far my blower could go forward to line up the pulley/belt. Mine will be over the driver's valve cover, the pulley might interfere with the PS pulley depending on height.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great pictures Chris.

With that assembly in place as pictured with the 141mm drive snout, how far is the belt location from the blower pulley? That's how far my blower could go forward to line up the pulley/belt. Mine will be over the driver's valve cover, the pulley might interfere with the PS pulley depending on height.

In the latest pics? A long ways.
Some rough math, fox mustang uses a 315mm drive, sn95 uses a 270mm drive.
Explorer setup is roughly 5mm shorter than sn95.
Lightning manifold is designed for a 270mm drive.
F150 to exploder = 315-(270-5) = 50mm

Drive length for f150 manifold on explorer
270mm - 50mm = 220mm

220mm - 141mm = 79mm.
So the pulley is 79mm or 3.1” behind belt in those pics.

Pics are irrelevant for drive, I was just showing firewall clearances for Blown.

Next time I’m out there, I’ll mock up the compressor over the drivers side valve cover for ya. I really dont think ps pulley clearance will be an issue. The ps pressure line and reservoir bracket will force the compressor to be completely above ps pulley. Hopefully hood clearance is there, I’ll try to check that as well.

Thanks,
Chris

That helps, it looked like a good 3-4". The pulley to hood clearance is the tight spot for the Eaton kits I've seen, and I have some pictures from others member with that.

So I'll place the blower high enough to clear the PS pulley etc, to the left as far as needed to clear the lower intake and IC plenum above it. The rear space should be good at the blower, my tight spot will be the firewall where the intake plenum goes around the back.

Explorer-SuperchargerTimBeek.jpg

dvorak EatonSC2.JPG

dvorak EatonSC5.JPG

That helps, it looked like a good 3-4". The pulley to hood clearance is the tight spot for the Eaton kits I've seen, and I have some pictures from others member with that.

So I'll place the blower high enough to clear the PS pulley etc, to the left as far as needed to clear the lower intake and IC plenum above it. The rear space should be good at the blower, my tight spot will be the firewall where the intake plenum goes around the back.

View attachment 160357

That pic makes the pulley clearance look way tighter than it is. The hood has a good bit of rise in the middle. I was able to close the hood over the kenne bell and see it from underneath. Even with the 185mm drive pushing it an inch and a half forward of the belt, and the big dodge 3.25” 7 rib pulley, still had an inch or so.

Here was the config when i checked:

I’ll verify hood clearance when i mock it up for you.

Chris

Thanks for any help. No rush, I try to collect all the information I can for projects. I'm a pack rat for sure.

Thanks for any help. No rush, I try to collect all the information I can for projects. I'm a pack rat for sure.
I definitely can relate to being a pack rat......I've got one of those boost maker thingys I need to do something with.

20180625_145043.jpg

I like that, you've got lots of space to pile up more, plus unused wall space. I have tall ceilings with space to hang stuff, and shelving to put up there if I could get up to it, to do it.

I definitely can relate to being a pack rat......I've got one of those boost maker thingys I need to do something with.

View attachment 160358

Likewise, since I had a freshly rebuilt kenne bell 2.2 sitting for 3 years prior to my current build. I’ll be in the market for another once this one is installed too, lol.
Chris

I've been thinking, I wonder if I could weld another pulley on the front of the crankshaft pulley to spin the blower? I would eliminate the fan and install an electric pusher fan.

Id think it would be pretty hard to weld that pulley on in the middle perfectly. You might be able to get one custom made though.

I'm pretty sure there's a powerdyne pulley on ebay that bolts to the 3 holes in the balancer.

I'm pretty sure there's a powerdyne pulley on ebay that bolts to the 3 holes in the balancer.

Thanks
I found the posting but they no longer have them. But if they made them, I believe I could make one as well. I got to get the blower mounted to see if it would work and have yet to get an F150 lower intake. I tried once and ran into four 351W's at the local Pick-N-Pull, no 302..................trying again next weekend.

Heck I am thinking of using the F150 throttle body as it would bolt right up to the parts I have with this kit.

Got the lower intake, t-body, and fuel rail off of a 93 F150. Now I can get some accurate measurements, see how it will fit, and what else needs to be done to make it work. I can already see fabbing some tube for a blow off valve....................cause it will probably end-up at 8lbs of boost.
blower-kit-now.jpg

I got a little time and I got a big raise. I got a measurement and drew a line on the radiator fan cowl where the front of the blower pulley will be when mounted. The big thing is it is out in front of the other accessories far enough and not so far out it's into the radiator. I think I can get it installed if I eliminate the radiator fan, run pusher fans, and run the blower off off an additional pulley mounted to the front of the pulley/balancer combo.
kb-front-pulley-spot.jpg

I am going to have some time and money to work on this over the holidays, yay!

Do you think it will be an issue with that much force pulling on the crank? My only concern is that the added belt so far away from the crank will be like a big crow bar pulling the crank up.

I have no idea, but from what I am learning about cranks (and forces that act upon them) his might be really hard on the crank bearings.
I could be off base.

Congratulations on the income change!

Congrats on the pay raise, these days it's a welcome improvement. Everything is much more expensive than 10-20 years ago.

The Explorer main belt drive is far inboard compared to all other Ford V8's, and there are countless engines out there with extra pulleys in front of the main drive belts. So it's a zero issue with these Explorers, to add a pulley forward that small amount.

I bet I could run the belt so tight as to ****-up something, but I think it will be OK.

My biggest hurdle will be getting the crank pulley centered, out the right distance and bolted/welded on to the pulley/balancer combo.

Thanks on the raise, my hard work paid off. 50 hour weeks writing estimates for homeowners storm damage. I get after the insurance companies and get what we need to do it right.

Got the lower intake, t-body, and fuel rail off of a 93 F150. Now I can get some accurate measurements, see how it will fit, and what else needs to be done to make it work. I can already see fabbing some tube for a blow off valve....................cause it will probably end-up at 8lbs of boost.
blower-kit-now.jpg
What is the spacer under the blower from?

I bought a old Kenne Bell F150 kit. A guy on this post may have a lower manifold to bolt-up, look and read.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Crank Balancer/Pulley/Pulley:

crank-pulley.jpg

They are only stacked together. I plan on welding it up myself. There are 3 concentric holes tapped in the balancer/pulley to bolt-up the pulley, get it strait/tack it and final weld. I believe I can bolt it on the engine so I can rotate it and use a clamp-on dial indicator to get it right on.

Back