Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

Thanks, so peter do you happen to know where everyone is getting this extra 1/4" spacer, is it a kit Im not seeing?
No idea. My Explorers remain stock as I lease them. As Mbrooks420 suggested, contact the dealer or wait to see if another member replies. Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for a while. I've noticed that people either have the traxda or truxx lifts. Does anyone know anything about the Protune Suspension lifts?

Hey everyone, I've been lurking here for a while. I've noticed that people either have the traxda or truxx lifts. Does anyone know anything about the Protune Suspension lifts?
There's nothing on their website for a lift for the 5th gen Explorers, Traxda is the most common, you can find lifts on eBay for right around $120 for the 5th gens.

Steel Lift Kit Front 2.5" Rear 1.5" Explorer 2011+ 2WD 4WD
Am I reading this wrong or did I write something wrong in the original question?
Nope, you're right I just don't know how to navigate their website apparently. I went to this link Lift Kit - Ford - Explorer - Page 1 - Protune Suspension and it didn't show anything for 2011+ even tho it's for Explorers.. But yes, they're the same thing as every other lift for the 5th gen, Traxda, Truxx, ProTunes they're all the same. There's these on eBay " 2011+ Explorer 2WD/4WD Full Front 2.5" Rear 1.5" Steel Lift Kit | eBay " The exact same thing, for the cheapest price.

i have 2013 xlt with traxda and just slightly larger tires 265 60 18 and my cv joint is about to go out second time in 2 years, any experience? how do you change cv?

With heavier and larger tires you will go through them faster. This will be especially true of the cheap remanufactured units. You need to remove the axle nut 32mm (or 1 1/4”) and pull the knuckle out of the strut. Not the hardest job in the world, but the axle nuts can be very stubborn.

thanks! i wanted to ask "how often do you change cv with traxda?" lol
I've seen that video, guy is pretty good!

would brand? stick with motorcraft?

With heavier and larger tires you will go through them faster. This will be especially true of the cheap remanufactured units. You need to remove the axle nut 32mm (or 1 1/4”) and pull the knuckle out of the strut. Not the hardest job in the world, but the axle nuts can be very stubborn.

Quick question, besides the vibration, what were the other symptoms of this? Im sure other mechanical guys can answer but you seem up to par :) Pretty sure this is my issue, spinning this axle with heavy mud tires.

i have 2013 xlt with traxda and just slightly larger tires 265 60 18 and my cv joint is about to go out second time in 2 years, any experience? how do you change cv?

I think this is my issue as well. Mine has been sitting for a while because of this.. i think anyway. But if I understand correctly, the axles are week on these. I have the same size tires on mine. What were some of the symptoms on yours?

Often they will click or be noisy, especially under heavy load or tight turning. For vibrations I’d also check the u joints and cv joint on the driveshaft. (I’m assuming your front has a CV joint, though I’m not positive)

Often they will click or be noisy, especially under heavy load or tight turning. For vibrations I’d also check the u joints and cv joint on the driveshaft. (I’m assuming your front has a CV joint, though I’m not positive)

Yeah, mine is also a 2011 AWD. I knew going into it that the tires were heavy, they are mud tires so the stress on an otherwise street vehicle was more than likely too much. The vibrations, I couldnt tell because of the nobby tires, they made it vibrate all the time. So now there are metal on metal sounds, which is why its been parked for so long. No time to work on it unfortunately.

I think this is my issue as well. Mine has been sitting for a while because of this.. i think anyway. But if I understand correctly, the axles are week on these. I have the same size tires on mine. What were some of the symptoms on yours?

first time it was bad vibration, no clicking noise or any noise but very bad vibration over 40 mph

later found some youtube videos where people talk about same issue on different cars

had to force my mechanic to change but couldnt figure out which one so changed both to motocraft

now i have occasional clicking/clunking

I installed the lift over the weekend. And already got new wheels and tires on it. Very happy with the new look.

I consider myself a pretty handy guy but I have never done a big project in any car. I felt I had the right tools so decided to do it myself.

I went very slowly, making sure I didn’t mess anything up and there is no way to go fast in a garage in Phoenix in the summer haha.

First obstacle was that I didn’t have the right size socket to remove the axle nut which is pretty massive. So I lost a few minutes going to Oreily to get that.

But by far the biggest obstacle was that one of the steps is unclear about which way the front spacer needs to be facing. The text in the direction says one thing and the picture shows something else. I had to call Traxda on Monday and I installed it incorrectly so I had to redo the front to make it right.

Another issue was that the 2 extension brackets for the front didn’t have grooves big enough for the bolt to go through. So I spent about 30 minutes with a file, making the groove slightly bigger (about 1/8” bigger). This is some thick steel and not a very fun activity when it’s over 105 degrees! (I had read about this issues on a review on Amazon, so I was expecting it, but still annoying).

The rest of the project went well, I would say I spent a total of 12 hours to do all 4, and then I spent another 2 hours re-doing the front. Again, this was my first project of this magnitude.

Now for any other DIYers, I would like to share what size sockets you will need so you don’t waste time like I did.

Front

Step2: Axle nut is 32mm

Step 3: Sway Bar End Link is 13/16”

Step 4: Tie Rod End is 13/16”

Step 5: Lower Strut Bolts are 15/16”

Step 6: Upper Strut Mount Nuts 16mm

Rear

Step 1: Sway Bar End Link 15mm

Step 2: Lower Shock Mounting Bolt 18mm

Step 3: Lower Control Arm Bolt 13/16”

Step 4: Steer Knuckle Mounting Bolt 7/8”

Very happy I was able to do it all without breaking anything or doing anything stupid. The explorer looks great now!

You mentioned that you had to call traxda to clear up some confusion from their instructions, but you didnt say what they told you. I have also run into this problem, so any help would be appreciated.

You mentioned that you had to call traxda to clear up some confusion from their instructions, but you didnt say what they told you. I have also run into this problem, so any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Hi to all!

Some "expert" alerted me on the "spacers concept" as a lifting option. Is there other one for Explorer5th gen? Is there a posibility of getting 2 inches by using different coils?

Warm regards!

Lou

Hello I'm GP,

I currently live in Ecuador, and I have a 2018 xlt 4 wheel drive ford explorer. I have 18 inch rims and standard wheels

I'm having issues with installing my EBAY 3 and 2 inch kit. Anyone who has aligning specs that can help out? Also does anyone have truxxx installation directions?

Thanks

Gus

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Rick,

I just purchased upgrade to be able to show pictures. Whenever I can I will post.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

GP

Back