New '09 STA Owner Seeking Heated Mirror Upgrade Help! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New '09 STA Owner Seeking Heated Mirror Upgrade Help!

Yes, both the driver footwell fuse #13 (15a) and the Power Distribution Box fuse cartridge #15 (40a) under the hood are equipped and test good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has this heated mirror issue ever been resolved? I am interested in doing this to my new to me 2009 Sport Trac. On our 2004 Explorer it was plug and play, with only the mirror swap required to get heated ones.

Hey TechGurru, can you start another thread about your 2wd switch? I'd be interested in the switch part number you used and any other details like if you used relays, what wiring changes you did, etc. curious in your video, were you in 'AWD locked' mode when you were pushing the switch?

thanks!

Hey TechGurru, can you start another thread about your 2wd switch? I'd be interested in the switch part number you used and any other details like if you used relays, what wiring changes you did, etc. curious in your video, were you in 'AWD locked' mode when you were pushing the switch?

thanks!

look under 4th gen explorer or 3rd gen explorer mods. there are quiet a few already.

I'm not sure if this thread is still active but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in as I'm planning on adding heated mirrors soon.
I snagged that part along with all the other components recently, including the SJB recently to see what I can do. I noticed that the heated mirrors seem to be part of the DATC with some of the earlier Explorer/Mountaineer Limited/ Premier packages (07's at least). Maybe I'm wrong or there's something weird about how Ford implemented this.
Personally I was just going to wire it up manually with a separate switch and the relays. This way I don't have to mess with the programming in the SJB.

I'm not sure if this thread is still active but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in as I'm planning on adding heated mirrors soon.
I snagged that part along with all the other components recently, including the SJB recently to see what I can do. I noticed that the heated mirrors seem to be part of the DATC with some of the earlier Explorer/Mountaineer Limited/ Premier packages (07's at least). Maybe I'm wrong or there's something weird about how Ford implemented this.
Personally I was just going to wire it up manually with a separate switch and the relays. This way I don't have to mess with the programming in the SJB.

Looking forward to it! take some photos / write up if you dont mind.

Nope. Not yet.
i was fixing a squeek in my driver door and took pictures of the harness for the mirrors, i will post them later.( Non Heated.) but i am hopping someone with heated could do that same, maybe the hiring pins line up differently?

Bought the Muth Turn Signal / Heated Mirrors. arrived today. initial review is these are some quality parts. will post a write-up and pictures when i get to do them in a week or 2.
winters getting close and not seeing **** on my mirrors is infuriating.

Bought the Muth Turn Signal / Heated Mirrors. arrived today. initial review is these are some quality parts. will post a write-up and pictures when i get to do them in a week or 2.
winters getting close and not seeing **** on my mirrors is infuriating.

I'm interested in these mirrors also. I'll look forward to your write-up and review.

Rain-X always helped me on my previous vehicle without heated mirrors...it could be a temp fix until those heated mirrors are up and running. ;)

Rain-X always helped me on my previous vehicle without heated mirrors...it could be a temp fix until those heated mirrors are up and running. ;)

Great Minds Think Alike! i snagged some last week actually! anti fogger and rain protection. so far so good!

I ordered some heated mirrors and will be receiving them soon...
So looking at the wiring diagrams:

show a relay in SJB for defrost and F13 (15A) that supply power to the relay (mirrors)
how to enable it? - disconnect pin 86 of the relay from SJB and wire it to switch to ground - this is slightly dangerous since the supply to the relay is hot all the time - this means if the truck is off, and the (override) switch is turned on - the mirrors heaters will stay on.

or figure out which setting SJB would enable that function in conjunction with defrost switch

i bought the Muuth Systems heated mirror with blinker. i have installed just not wired as i ran out of time to wire them. should be done this weekend. i have some issues already tho. the mounting system on the back of the Muth mirrors is shallower then the stock mounting system ( i have pictures ) so it sits deeeper inthe mirror housing and it doesnt allow full articulation of the mirror adjustment.

I am not getting any power out at the mirrors because the switch wont turn on. When you push the button (to turn ON the heated mirrors) the switch sends the command to the SJB, which in turn then pulls the defrost relay closed. Then the mirror wire gets power and the mirror button indicator turns on and everyone is happy.

The issue with my setup, is that the mirror switch doesn't even turn on, which I gather means the SJB doesn't see the command. Thats where I'm stumped.

Yes, you may PM me about the AWD to 2WD mod.
At least I finished the "brown wire mod" AWD to 2WD by press of a button:

TechGurru, I need some info on the "Brown wire mod/Grey and Orange wire mod". I'm working on a 2010 STA.

sorry for the long wait everyone. but i had alot going on and winter hit. but i finally installed my MUTH heated mirrors and LED blinkers... really mixed feelings with the kit. going to do a write-up in its own post. with photos and a video

pros.
the LED blinkers are bright and the LED Mod itself is very simple to install.
Can either wire the LEDs. blinkers to blink with the turn signals OR blink with the turn signal and have both light up when breaks are applied, hazards too.
kit comes with all everything u need in terms of wire splices and terminals (although i do not recommend them - always solder and heat shrink)
H-mod works well so far having only tested it for a week. will update if it melts anything. LOL

cons.
The MUTH-mirrors have a plastic mount on them which is how they mount to the factory side view housing /motor - the issue is that the mount on the replacement mirror is shallower than the oem one, and our mirror housings are tapered. this results in the new mirror hitting on the housing. - they can be adjusted roughly by hand and then finely adjusted with the electric motor. so not terrible if you arent OCD about your mirror angles.
The H-Mod instructions are in black and white...really.. can spend a few extra cents??? also they are wordy/confusing just read them carefully. probably would be less confusing if they had color...
LED-Mod had the wrong color for the wires to tap into for rear Turn signals (signal/Brake light was correct) **verify by pulling rear turn signal bulb and checking the color -- Explorer vs ST might be different??**
The passenger side LED+ wire has to be run to drive side because that is where the wiring harness is - that contains the wires for the rear turn signals. (kick panel area)
Both H-mod wires have to be run the control module / switch they provide the issue here is that the wires attached to this control module / switch are very short only about 12 inches. ( i mounted mine right above my side view mirror control, so i snipped the wires and then added a few feet and soldered and shrink wrapped - then ran them back through the door harness / grommet (the H-mod needs 12V ACC power i was not sure if i could tap into the power window motor or should--- so i didn't)

unrelated Con -- huge pain in the ass-- the damn tube harness / grommet that connects the door to the body was a massive pain to get detached and re attach properly. you WILL need a wire fisher / gopher wire to pull through the new wires and be careful to not rip the rubber. the driver side is more frustrating as well because the harness form the door merged right into the harness coming from the engine bay.

Comments -
because of how much of a pain in the ass it was to extend the wires and then run the wires through the dash to get from the passenger side to Driver side harness. i recommend running the passenger wires from the mirror, through the door harness/ grommet down into the passenger kick panel to the rear, following existing harness and then across the back of the cab behind the plastic cover and then tap into the harness at rear driver side kick panel or driver side kick panel. it will save you a ton of frustration, time and tearing your dash apart :)
if you dont mind pulling the driver seat out it will make it alot easier to fish the wires through and run them to the driver side kick panel. not necessary but the extra room is amazing.
Everything being said i really enjoy both mods and hind-sight is 20/20 if i knew then what i did know this would have been 2/3 hours quicker.

Over all time was 6/7hours. could do it in 3-4 now no problem.

any questions please ask or wait for the write-up!!!

Back