Water pump failure leads to dead engine | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Should Ford cover part of all of this repair out of loyalty?

• Yes, a water pump failure at 95k should not destroy an engine

Votes: 153 87.4%
  • No, and please quit whining about it

Votes: 22 12.6%

• Total voters
Imp: Like you, I suspect (another Gen 3 Explorer owner), I like the idea of picking up a wounded used Ford SUV for a few bucks and bringing it back to life. I really do like my '02 Explorer XLS now that I've swapped in a lower-mileage used 4.0L engine and replaced the timing components.

I looked at late 2000's Ford Edges (generally positive consumer reviews)--smaller and not a truck, but somewhat more fuel efficient. I learned that Ford introduced the 3.5 transverse mounted duratec in 2007 Edge (I think) or Flex, with variable valve timing and slightly better mileage than our 4.0L colognes (owing in part to lighter vehicle weight, however).

As you know by now, to save space the engineers (at Mazda in Japan, I think, but I might be wrong) moved the water pump inside the timing cover, over the oil pan, and drove it off of the timing chain (instead of off the accessory belt used to drive power steering, A/C, etc. on our engines). The early design used a single row of teeth. I've read reports that the Japanese engines used in Mazda's variant had good specs for the water pump, but that the U.S. built ones used in Fords started experiencing significant failures, often soon after the 60k miles warranty expired. Basically, the shaft seal (?) failed and allowed coolant to leak through and drip down into the oll pan, diluting the oil overly a relatively short number of miles, decreasing lubricity, and causing bearings to fail and other awful things. This affected 3.5 and 3.7 Duratecs, but Ford sold a ton more of the former.

In approx. 2011 Ford's "fix" was to re-design the water pump slightly to use two rows of teeth instead of one row. There may be other, less visible, changes as well. This required that other timing components change, too (e.g., at double-row timing chain). While I've seen some reports of post-fix failures, they are not nearly as frequent. And, like the post above that I asked about, may not even represent a water pump failure at all (could just be a blown head gasket in that case).

For what its worth, I've read of one case where the owner of a 2007 Edge who caught the problem before it completely destroyed his engine ordering all of the post-fix components (including new water pump design, timing chain, gears) and successfully installing them on his SUV. That seems pretty cool to me.

I might eventually try to find a late-2000's Edge or Flex that still runs, where the owner caught the problem early, took it to a dealer and was told it is a $2-$3k repair, and decided sell rather than spend that kind of money. The two problems I see are: (i) its very hard to repair water pump/timing components with the engine in the car; and (ii) how would you really know whether the problem was caught early enough to avoid major engine damage?

Hope this answers your question.

To be fair. I have been reading this forum on daily basis for the past 4-5 years. Water pump leads to dead engine is rare and when it does happen then people report it on this forum. It's basically a bad apple. Millions sold and only like a thousand or even less reported since 2010 latest model release.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Drewmcg Thanks for taking the time to inform me! Regarding Edge, I rented one in 2012, presumedly a 2012 model, to return to Missouri from Arizona, where we left my big F-700, in the process of moving. The edge performed beautifully, my nephew (a U.S. Marine) had helped me drive out the big truck, was driving the Edge when realized I had been dozing, looked over, he was cooking close to 100 on I-40! Thought about buying an edge, but now, well........I still like old, proven technology in favor of engineering brainstorms. imp

To be fair. I have been reading this forum on daily basis for the past 4-5 years. Water pump leads to dead engine is rare and when it does happen then people report it on this forum. It's basically a bad apple. Millions sold and only like a thousand or even less reported since 2010 latest model release.
Actually, you're reinforcing my point. This is a 5th Gen Ford Explorer forum. Hence, the first MY for this gen is 2011, with the 3.5L Duratec. If Ford more-or-less fixed the water pump problem in that model year, it stands to reason there would be very infrequent reports of the failure here.

If you read the first gen Edge or Flex forums, different story . . . .

Unfortunately, those few who experience the problem in 2011+ 3.5/3.7 Duratecs face a more significant risk of complete engine failure (i.e., blown bearings or other severe lower end of engine damage) than even the Cologne 4.0L's with the goofy timing chains. Easier to repair/replace heads than the lower end, for sure. And I'm not sure, but it might even be easier to pull a 4.0L engine than to drop a 3.5L. I've mostly only seen YouTube videos of it being done in a mechanics shop.

@Drewmcg Thanks for taking the time to inform me! Regarding Edge, I rented one in 2012, presumedly a 2012 model, to return to Missouri from Arizona, where we left my big F-700, in the process of moving. The edge performed beautifully, my nephew (a U.S. Marine) had helped me drive out the big truck, was driving the Edge when realized I had been dozing, looked over, he was cooking close to 100 on I-40! Thought about buying an edge, but now, well........I still like old, proven technology in favor of engineering brainstorms. imp
Heck, Imp--let's pick up a wounded 2010 Edge and make it a project! Where's half way between Ann Arbor and Missouri?

Heck, Imp--let's pick up a wounded 2010 Edge and make it a project! Where's half way between Ann Arbor and Missouri?
@Drewmcg
How much I would absolutely love to commiserate with a compatriot doing a project like that, I cannot express! Unfortunately, since my personal info was written while I lived in Missouri Ozarks, I have high-tailed it out to the Colorado River area of Arizona, near Laughlin, NV. Why don't you come out for a good time? I'd like to meet you! imp

Actually, you're reinforcing my point. This is a 5th Gen Ford Explorer forum. Hence, the first MY for this gen is 2011, with the 3.5L Duratec. If Ford more-or-less fixed the water pump problem in that model year, it stands to reason there would be very infrequent reports of the failure here.

If you read the first gen Edge or Flex forums, different story . . . .

Unfortunately, those few who experience the problem in 2011+ 3.5/3.7 Duratecs face a more significant risk of complete engine failure (i.e., blown bearings or other severe lower end of engine damage) than even the Cologne 4.0L's with the goofy timing chains. Easier to repair/replace heads than the lower end, for sure. And I'm not sure, but it might even be easier to pull a 4.0L engine than to drop a 3.5L. I've mostly only seen YouTube videos of it being done in a mechanics shop.

The 5th generation Explorer is still very young, so more time must be given to establish whether or not this is a large or small problem, the Edge's and Flex's have been around for awhile and in many cases it's probably the second or third owner that this will happen to. It's clearly a large issue if you lose your engine with less than 150,000 miles due to a coolant leak. It's also noteworthy that this generation of Explorer has more horsepower and turbos that may or may not effect water pump spindle adversely. Lastly, a very small percent of owners post on a forum like this, probably less than 1%.

Never mind -- per RockAuto, all of the 2011 3.7 MKX's had the redesigned ("fixed") water pump with two rows of teeth)....
The "fixed" two rows of teeth timing water pump still has some problem. Another 3rd and final-revision existed last year in 2016 or 2017, which is now called Motorcraft PW580 water pump part. It is installed in every new 2017-2019 new Ford & LIncoln vehicles still using Cyclone engines. The new, final-revision water pump (PW580) is now good for 200,000 miles estimated.

In my opinion, Ford engines and their reliability have gone downhill since year 2000 or so (after 4.0L V6 OHV was discontinued), because the newer Ford engines are no longer OHV configuration. That's why Chevrolet continues to succeed with JD Power dependability awards (thanks to Silverado OHV engines) you see on TV daily, while Ford gets NOTHING. OHV (not SOHC or DOHC) is the key to success.

In Ford Cyclone engines, the water pump is driven by chain because it's a DOHC. Period. If it's a OHV pushrod design, the water pump would be external. Easy. Get the picture... It's illegal to drive a water pump in OHV configuration, anyway.

(Actually, the last and final Ford OHV engines were made in 2008, 4.2L and 3.0L, in F-150 regular-cab and Ranger only, but these were not mass-marketed models, you needed to place an order. 2001 Ford Explorer 5.0L V8 OHV and 2007 Ford Taurus 3.0L V6 OHV were the last and final mass-marketed Ford OHV vehicles.)

In my opinion, Ford engines and their reliability have gone downhill since year 2000 or so (after 4.0L V6 OHV was discontinued), because the newer Ford engines are no longer OHV configuration. That's why Chevrolet continues to succeed with JD Power dependability awards (thanks to Silverado OHV engines) you see on TV daily, while Ford gets NOTHING. OHV (not SOHC or DOHC) is the key to success.

In Ford Cyclone engines, the water pump is driven by chain because it's a DOHC. Period. If it's a OHV pushrod design, the water pump would be external. Easy. Get the picture... It's illegal to drive a water pump in OHV configuration, anyway.

(Actually, the last and final Ford OHV engines were made in 2008, 4.2L and 3.0L, in F-150 regular-cab and Ranger only, but these were not mass-marketed models, you needed to place an order. 2001 Ford Explorer 5.0L V8 OHV and 2007 Ford Taurus 3.0L V6 OHV were the last and final mass-marketed Ford OHV vehicles.)

LMAO, those dependability awards that you see on TV are "initial" which are for the 1st 90 days of ownership.. have you ever read the fine print on those commercials? Ya because when I buy a vehicle, my thought isnt about long term, it is about the first 90 days. That award is such a junk award.

Attention: Ford Owners Who Experienced Water Pump Issues

Our law firm is investigating claims concerning over reports of potential issues involving defective water pumps which may lead to potential engine failure.

We are investigating the following vehicles:

Vehicle Year

Ford Edge 2007-2017
Ford Explorer 2007-2017
Ford Flex 2007-2017
Ford Fusion 2007-2017
Ford Taurus 2007-2017
Lincoln MKX 2007-2017
Lincoln MKZ 2007-2017
Mercury Sable 2007-2009

If you purchased or leased one of the above vehicles and experienced engine failure, and you would like to learn more about our investigation, please contact us today at 888-299-7706 or by email at info@ktmc.com, or follow this link:

www.ktmc.com/ford-lincoln-water-pump-engine-failure

James A. Maro
Kessler Topaz Meltzer & Check, LLP
280 King of Prussia Road
Radnor, PA 19087
(888) 299-7706

The "fixed" two rows of teeth timing water pump still has some problem. Another 3rd and final-revision existed last year in 2016 or 2017, which is now called Motorcraft PW580 water pump part. It is installed in every new 2017-2019 new Ford & LIncoln vehicles still using Cyclone engines. The new, final-revision water pump (PW580) is now good for 200,000 miles estimated.

The maintenance manual goes up to 150,000 miles for all fifth generation Explorers, therefore, designing a water pump for 200,000 miles seems about right. I assume that was probably design standard for all of water pumps made thus far, I can't imagine the first and second generation water pumps were designed for less than that. From what I know the first generation water pump had one row of teeth and the second generation water pump had two rows of teeth, what does the third generation water pump have that the second generation water does not have? Looking at images of the third generation water pump (PW580) online, it only has one gasket, I thought some of the water pumps had two gaskets for redundancy to stop a leak?

The maintenance manual goes up to 150,000 miles for all fifth generation Explorers, therefore, designing a water pump for 200,000 miles seems about right. I assume that was probably design standard for all of water pumps made thus far, I can't imagine the first and second generation water pumps were designed for less than that. From what I know the first generation water pump had one row of teeth and the second generation water pump had two rows of teeth, what does the third generation water pump have that the second generation water does not have? Looking at images of the third generation water pump (PW580) online, it only has one gasket, I thought some of the water pumps had two gaskets for redundancy to stop a leak?
@Sixonemale
Stating that a mechanical, electrical, or hydraulic part will last XXXX miles, or years, is no different than predicting the future. So far, that is one of the most innacurate careers. imp

I don't understand what having a push rod design versus overhead cam has to do with the water pump. Both push rod and OHC / DOHC engines are OHV. Plenty of OHC or DOHC engines have external water pumps. My understanding as pointed out many times in this thread is that the transverse mount of the engine did not leave room for a water pump. It has also been reported that the new Ex will change that with the engine mounted longitudinally and the water pump will be external.

What does that mean?

LMAO, those dependability awards that you see on TV are "initial" which are for the 1st 90 days of ownership.. have you ever read the fine print on those commercials? Ya because when I buy a vehicle, my thought isnt about long term, it is about the first 90 days. That award is such a junk award.

It's just as bad as the truck bed commercials.

@Sixonemale
Stating that a mechanical, electrical, or hydraulic part will last XXXX miles, or years, is no different than predicting the future. So far, that is one of the most innacurate careers. imp

Agree and that's the problem I have with this design knowing that it can destroy the engine with no warning. My point was that all three water pumps may have been designed by engineers to last to 200,000 miles, but can fail before that as shown in this thread, but am still not sure at what average mileage they fail at. I was specifically trying to figure out what or if anything has changed from the second to third generation water pump, because I can't readily see any difference.

Agree and that's the problem I have with this design knowing that it can destroy the engine with no warning. My point was that all three water pumps may have been designed by engineers to last to 200,000 miles, but can fail before that as shown in this thread, but am still not sure at what average mileage they fail at. I was specifically trying to figure out what or if anything has changed from the second to third generation water pump, because I can't readily see any difference.

I'm not sure about design details with regards to improvements. I had thought the double gasket was OEM and anything less was an economical version(knock off). When replacing my water pump I made sure the one I picked had concentric gaskets....not sure if there are any other design improvements (e.g. shaft load capabilities). What I found interesting is the pump I ended up ordering is manufactured by ACDELCO???

Anyways....mine lasted 118k before it started leaking out the weep hole over the alternator. Here is a pic of what came out of my 2013 limited (OEM with a single gasket which surprised me) and the ACDELCO that I installed.

IMG_9202_zpskylqj3nm.jpg

There are too many factors involved to try and determine what the average water pump life expectancy is. The water pump may be sensitive to factors which exacerbate design weaknesses. Maybe those with failures idled their engines for long periods, maybe the owners put additional additives in their coolant, maybe climate is a big factor. Im sure Ford's testing of the water pump is under ideal, laboratory conditions. Also, have to factor in that some water pumps weren't built to specification and can fail early. As far as the latest changes to the water pump, I bet they changed the bearing material, maybe updated the seals, but we probably won't be able to see the changes visually.

Like the PTU, the best we can do is change the fluid more early than recommended and keep an eye on the coolant level. I pop open my hood a minimum of every week or so, to check oil and coolant on all my vehicles. In most cases, there should be a hint of an issue before catastrophic failure.

I'm not sure about design details with regards to improvements. I had thought the double gasket was OEM and anything less was an economical version(knock off). When replacing my water pump I made sure the one I picked had concentric gaskets....not sure if there are any other design improvements (e.g. shaft load capabilities). What I found interesting is the pump I ended up ordering is manufactured by ACDELCO???

Anyways....mine lasted 118k before it started leaking out the weep hole over the alternator. Here is a pic of what came out of my 2013 limited (OEM with a single gasket which surprised me) and the ACDELCO that I installed.

IMG_9202_zpskylqj3nm.jpg

IMG_9202_zpskylqj3nm.jpg

Dang, you did the work yourself? Nice job

Interesting, I thought even the older water pumps had double gaskets on the outer flange.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't understand what having a push rod design versus overhead cam has to do with the water pump. Both push rod and OHC / DOHC engines are OHV. Plenty of OHC or DOHC engines have external water pumps. My understanding as pointed out many times in this thread is that the transverse mount of the engine did not leave room for a water pump. It has also been reported that the new Ex will change that with the engine mounted longitudinally and the water pump will be external.

Reminds me of the old 2.5 Duratec V6 that had the water pump on the "back" of the engine, driven by a separate belt. Kind of an odd design.

Back