Hard Water Spots | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hard Water Spots

Ok,

I'm a dummy and I did it to myself.

Project truck has been sitting for quite some time and only getting washed but never really dried off.

Now I've got Bad A$$ water spots all over the hood that are getting on my nerves.

Tried Dupont #7 polishing compound by hand. Nothing

McGuire's polishing compound by hand. Nothing.

I guess it's time for an orbital buffer and something like Fast Cut.

Or does someone else have a better product that will work with a buffer?

P.S. Factory Black Paint...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok,

I'm a dummy and I did it to myself.

Project truck has been sitting for quite some time and only getting washed but never really dried off.

Now I've got Bad A$$ water spots all over the hood that are getting on my nerves.

Tried Dupont #7 polishing compound by hand. Nothing

McGuire's polishing compound by hand. Nothing.

I guess it's time for an orbital buffer and something like Fast Cut.

Or does someone else have a better product that will work with a buffer?

P.S. Factory Black Paint...
@shucker1
As you may know, water spots are from hard water (duh), the hardness being calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, and if really bad, some silicates. Those last, little help. The carbonates though respond to dissolving by acidic solutions. Try vinegar, if that's not acidic enough, buy some pool acid, muriatic acid, carefully pour an ounce or so into a cupful of water, in a say 4 cup container, rub it on your hood somewhere inconspicuous first. Such solution should not affect clearcoat or paint, but those cutting abrasives you describe will. imp

Use an orbital buffer, the pad and clear coat needs to get warm, firm pressure. McGuire's polishing compound is what I used. Years ago when I was a truck driver I played with the exotic cars for a bit. When water got under the plastic tarps I covered the car with and dried, the water spots would stick to the clear coat.

@imp ,

Down here in New Orleans our water comes from the Mississippi River so everything my Northern Buddies put down the crapper we get for water.

Thanks Guys!

Tried the Vinegar trick. No luck

I would hate to go any stronger that that and ruin what I have for paint.

I think I'm going to try @Josh P suggestion and go the Orbital Buffer Route.

McGuire's Ultimate Polish by hand is not getting it off fast enough plus my arm is starting to look like Popeye...

Monday I'm back on the road again so this will be a project for when I get back.

Thanks for the input guys!

@imp ,

Down here in New Orleans our water comes from the Mississippi River so everything my Northern Buddies put down the crapper we get for water.

Thanks Guys!

Tried the Vinegar trick. No luck

I would hate to go any stronger that that and ruin what I have for paint.

I think I'm going to try @Josh P suggestion and go the Orbital Buffer Route.

McGuire's Ultimate Polish by hand is not getting it off fast enough plus my arm is starting to look like Popeye...

Monday I'm back on the road again so this will be a project for when I get back.

Thanks for the input guys!
@shucker1
Hey, all that travellin' you do, figger out which destination has the softest water, and wash it all off there using detergent. Unless, of course, that company truck (F-350 is it), is not your worry......
imp

Megurires ultra cut and a wool pad on a buffer will take it right off. Then....... you have to workout all the swirls from the the heavy compound with a lighter compound. Then polish and wax, should be like glass when done. Use a buffer for both compounds and polish.

For the Heavy cut use either a wool pad or a firm foam waffle pad. Then for the light cut and polishing you want a foam pad. The cleaner you can keep the pad, the less swirls you will have.

50/50 vinegar and water. Any more dilution than 1:1 reduces vinegar effectiveness to the point its a complete waste of time. Soak a washcloth in it. Lay the soaked washcloth on the trouble area for 10 minutes and just leave it alone. Do this in the shade. Rinse off after 10 minutes and I think you will be impressed with the results.

Thanks.

I'll try it when I get home.

Try the optimum mdr water spot remover. It can dissolves the stubborn mineral deposits.

@boominXplorer ,

Back home for right now. I caught a few weeks off.

I'm going to break down and buy a complete polishing kit.

Suggestions? Porter Cable? Griots?

The freaking little tree rats (Squirrels) have started chewing up the unripe pecans and dropping the hulls all over my wife's pearl white Fusion.

Brown spatter marks all over the hood and the roof and she is not a Happy Camper.

Tried polishing compound. That didn't work.

Tried bug and tar remover. That didn't work.

Didn't have any WD-40 hanging around so I couldn't try that.

Got it off finally with Nail Polish Remover and gently rubbing with a soft cloth.

P.S. Residential area so shooting squirrels will get me a free trip to jail. This winter it's going to be a live animal trap and those little pricks will be relocated to Audubon Park in the City.

@boominXplorer ,

Back home for right now. I caught a few weeks off.

I'm going to break down and buy a complete polishing kit.

Suggestions? Porter Cable? Griots?

The freaking little tree rats (Squirrels) have started chewing up the unripe pecans and dropping the hulls all over my wife's pearl white Fusion.

Brown spatter marks all over the hood and the roof and she is not a Happy Camper.

Tried polishing compound. That didn't work.

Tried bug and tar remover. That didn't work.

Didn't have any WD-40 hanging around so I couldn't try that.

Got it off finally with Nail Polish Remover and gently rubbing with a soft cloth.

P.S. Residential area so shooting squirrels will get me a free trip to jail. This winter it's going to be a live animal trap and those little pricks will be relocated to Audubon Park in the City.
5 gallon bucket, half full of water with a skin of sunflower seeds across the top.....

Rubbing alcohol for hard to get off tree stuff. I like my dewalt polisher. Best off the shelf compound ive used is meguires.

@Mbrooks420 ,

Or Rat Traps baited with Peanut Butter.

I really don't want to kill the little jokers because I'm not going to eat them.

(Rats & Mice are a different story. They are great Fried!)

I'm just going to relocate them to a place where they can be less of a problem.

I was thinking about a squirrel launcher but neighbors may not think that's funny either.

Eh. You damage my property, I’m fine with you dying.

I wish I could teach the Hawks around here to eat squirrel.

We had an owl for a while but he cleaned them out and moved on.

Now they are back....

before you buy a buffer and polishing compound go get some wd-40 it works
roscoe

@roscoe 0202

Got the stains off the hood of the wife's car late yesterday with Nail Polish remover.

Got dark so I couldn't see that well how it turned out.

Ran over it by hand with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound by hand and then a fast coat of wax by flashlight.

Looked alright but not perfect.

Bosslady got out of here before good daylight so I could not see how it looks.

Just ordered Porter Cable 7424XP kit from Amazon.

I got about (6) cars between friends and family I can practice on before I cheese her's up.....

If I ruin her car I'm dead meat!!!!

CYMA ZM51 Bolt Action Airsoft Sniper Rifle w/ Scope and Bipod

yhst-49666507782127_2271_149984096__40210.1415743581.1280.1280.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got and old Crossman 760 .177 Cal and a Benjamin Pump 22 Cal

Just can't be caught roaming the yard with a rifle in my hands....

If I get seen I'll make national news as some type of terrorist....

I guess I could make a "Sniper Nest" inside the house and target through a open window...

People have no sense of humor anymore.

Back