Building a 4.0 OHV for power | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building a 4.0 OHV for power

i wouldnt mind dropping a 4.0 SOHC in either, if that'd be easier to build.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

custom work is my specialty.
i have a machine shop that will gladly make me fully forged everything for the 4.0, and i could even get a blueprinted billet block made up if i cared for it.
and yeah, **** tom, i built a 3.0 with his parts and ended up blowing the heads off around the 250hp mark...really dissapointed in that one. got another 3.0 after that, strapped a m90 to the top making 3psi of boost and a t3/t4 feding the m90 making 4psi, made 305hp at the crank and daily drove it for 4 years no problems. (behind a police SHO transmission)
im never going back to an automatic transmission again for a truck, just **** that.

i'll make my own thread when i get closer to getting the truck and starting the build

im not specifically looking for horsepower. i want alot of low end torque. i'll be rev limiting it to about 4200rpm's just to give it a fighting chance.
i want to make minimum 300lb-ft of torque out of it N/A
if i wanted to make power out of the ranger i could buy a built 5.3 from my neighbor for 650$, but personally i'd never put a chevy motor in a ford
i could buy a 5.4 lightning engine + trans off him for 2500 but i'd like to get some power out of the 4.0. realistically speaking if i got 250-270hp and 290-310lb-ft out of it N/A i'd be perfectly happy.
Id like to know the name of this shop..i worked with JE and Manley to design my motor...But your never make 250-270rwhp NA outa the OHV even built to the moon and back..trust me..I've built many of these motors and dyno about ever change...look up my thread (Rudy GM m90) because we definitely getting off track on this thread

I'd like you to share the drugs your on, they must be good. J/K but it's a very dumb idea to dump 15k into a 4.0. If you want to keep the driveline the same go to a 4.0 sohc, 80hp more and it bolts into the same mounts. Then put a charger on it and call it a day. They take some beating in well maintained stock form but the timing guides are a weak point.

I've got an easy 350hp at the crank in my ranger by using a 302 with some bolt ons. Cost of my swap was around 5k with the labor being free. You have to remember if you swap from a 4.0 you have to budget for trans and tcase also. I spent $1200 in just parts in my trans, it all ads up quickly.

custom work is my specialty.
i have a machine shop that will gladly make me fully forged everything for the 4.0, and i could even get a blueprinted billet block made up if i cared for it.
and yeah, **** tom, i built a 3.0 with his parts and ended up blowing the heads off around the 250hp mark...really dissapointed in that one. got another 3.0 after that, strapped a m90 to the top making 3psi of boost and a t3/t4 feding the m90 making 4psi, made 305hp at the crank and daily drove it for 4 years no problems. (behind a police SHO transmission)
im never going back to an automatic transmission again for a truck, just **** that.

i'll make my own thread when i get closer to getting the truck and starting the build

im not specifically looking for horsepower. i want alot of low end torque. i'll be rev limiting it to about 4200rpm's just to give it a fighting chance.
i want to make minimum 300lb-ft of torque out of it N/A
if i wanted to make power out of the ranger i could buy a built 5.3 from my neighbor for 650$, but personally i'd never put a chevy motor in a ford
i could buy a 5.4 lightning engine + trans off him for 2500 but i'd like to get some power out of the 4.0. realistically speaking if i got 250-270hp and 290-310lb-ft out of it N/A i'd be perfectly happy.

Gonna have to have lots of compression and the right cam to make those numbers NA.

When people tell me they want to re power their RBV the first question I ask is what transfer case do you want to use? And work backwards from there
With 300hp as the goal I would be doing overhead cam or SBF

i made arrangements to buy the 4.8/5.3 off my neighbor.
its going to sit in his garage until its fully built.
im going to buy the engine, a massive precision turbocharger (i think its a 106mm?), a set of long tube headers,and the wiring harness he has for it.
then were going to buy aftermarket cams, oversized valves, port + polish the heads, deck the head, and just overall go in on that engine.
i'll make my own thread about it when i get off work.
anyone know if a t-56 will bolt up to the 4.8/5.3 vortec?

im also going to start looking around for a RV with a 460 in it, just as a backup incase i blow the 4.8/5.3
i want low-end torque, and thats where my t3/t4 comes in.
should spool in around 1300rpm, and im going to bypass it as soon as the precision spools in becuase that t3 cant flow anywhere NEAR where that precision does.
im only going to push maybe 15psi.
7psi from the t3, and 15 on the precision
get low end torque, and tons of high end if i needed it.
im not trying to make a racer, im just trying to adapt a very awesome, beast looking truck to my exact wants and needs.
i wont be EVER selling the ranger. it'll go in my garage when i get another truck, and it will sit aside my 67 mustang.

which the mustang also needs a restore. oops.
im thinking about buying a m35a2 and pillaging the massive heavy duty 6.72 geared axles from it. my neighbor would buy those for quite a pretty penny to use in his s10 dragster. (not going to spoil anything, but he's pushing close to 2500hp with a 5.3 and 60psi)
i will be tuning whatever engine i put in the ranger to run on atleast mid-grade fuel to prevent knock.
i know i could just go big and slap a 460 in it but man f**k that thing DRINKS, and it weighs alot.
if i could figure out how to work this site i'd post a picture of the ranger so you guys could see it. :)

dont mean to hijack a thread, just really a newbie when it comes to online forums.

and i have alot on my mind. big plans for my future haha

i made arrangements to buy the 4.8/5.3 off my neighbor.
its going to sit in his garage until its fully built.
im going to buy the engine, a massive precision turbocharger (i think its a 106mm?), a set of long tube headers,and the wiring harness he has for it.
then were going to buy aftermarket cams, oversized valves, port + polish the heads, deck the head, and just overall go in on that engine.
i'll make my own thread about it when i get off work.
anyone know if a t-56 will bolt up to the 4.8/5.3 vortec?

im also going to start looking around for a RV with a 460 in it, just as a backup incase i blow the 4.8/5.3
i want low-end torque, and thats where my t3/t4 comes in.
should spool in around 1300rpm, and im going to bypass it as soon as the precision spools in becuase that t3 cant flow anywhere NEAR where that precision does.
im only going to push maybe 15psi.
7psi from the t3, and 15 on the precision
get low end torque, and tons of high end if i needed it.
im not trying to make a racer, im just trying to adapt a very awesome, beast looking truck to my exact wants and needs.
i wont be EVER selling the ranger. it'll go in my garage when i get another truck, and it will sit aside my 67 mustang.

which the mustang also needs a restore. oops.
im thinking about buying a m35a2 and pillaging the massive heavy duty 6.72 geared axles from it. my neighbor would buy those for quite a pretty penny to use in his s10 dragster. (not going to spoil anything, but he's pushing close to 2500hp with a 5.3 and 60psi)
i will be tuning whatever engine i put in the ranger to run on atleast mid-grade fuel to prevent knock.
i know i could just go big and slap a 460 in it but man f**k that thing DRINKS, and it weighs alot.
if i could figure out how to work this site i'd post a picture of the ranger so you guys could see it. :)

dont mean to hijack a thread, just really a newbie when it comes to online forums.

and i have alot on my mind. big plans for my future haha

I absolutely applaud your enthusiasm and high degree of motivation but...........WHAT IN THE ADHD HELL IS GOING ON HERE?

Stock is 9:1 i wouldnt go over 11:1 on pump 90+ gas!! Im going to the dyno soon,just got to put my new rearend in.but im shooting for 200+hp and over 300+tq.i would hope for 220 and 340 before the 150 shot:)

Did this ever happen? Gotta work some magic to make this kinda power at 3,500rpm. What do you recommend other than LOTS OF COMPRESSION to get this done?

Did this ever happen? Gotta work some magic to make this kinda power at 3,500rpm. What do you recommend other than LOTS OF COMPRESSION to get this done?
This was almost 8 years ago but yes I've far past that now..idk where you got 3500 rpms from tho..

Start a thread and tag me,i can give you any details you need
received_10217183666362744.png

This was almost 8 years ago but yes I've far past that now..idk where you got 3500 rpms from tho..View attachment 161534

Horsepower = (Torque x RPM)/5252 . So 200hp must equal (300 x 3500)/5252 .

Forced induction would be the best way to go to make big power but I think he wants to do it NA, or did at some point.

Horsepower = (Torque x RPM)/5252 . So 200hp must equal (300 x 3500)/5252 .

Forced induction would be the best way to go to make big power but I think he wants to do it NA, or did at some point.
I never broke 230rwhp NA nor has ANYONE i know of,think was like 226rwhp..that was with my 11:1, 422,head work blah blah built motor in the ranger before i stuck the supercharger on it...most 10:1 422 cam builds put down around 200-210 rwhp through a 5 speeds with light 26-28" tires.....and idk how the equation really works,ill have to find some of my dyno sheets and see if it really works that way..

thats the correct formula for calculating power. im a mechanical + automotive engineer, i can back his claim up.
210hp would be perfectly fine by me. does the SOHC make more power? i can buy one of those and drop it in,in an afternoon assuming the wiring is the same.
the trucks got these ****ing 33" tires man, thats my only concern. their kinda big lol.
its 3.73:1 axle ratio and its a limited slip axle.
the trim model is XL supercab, and man let me tell you it looks ****ing beast.
attatched are some photographs.

ranger.jpg

ranger1.jpg

ranger2.jpg

ranger4.jpg

ranger5.jpg

ranger3.jpg

thats the correct formula for calculating power. im a mechanical + automotive engineer, i can back his claim up.
210hp would be perfectly fine by me. does the SOHC make more power? i can buy one of those and drop it in,in an afternoon assuming the wiring is the same.
the trucks got these ****ing 33" tires man, thats my only concern. their kinda big lol.
its 3.73:1 axle ratio and its a limited slip axle.
the trim model is XL supercab, and man let me tell you it looks ****ing beast.
attatched are some photographs.

View attachment 161541

View attachment 161542

View attachment 161543

View attachment 161544

View attachment 161545

View attachment 161546
Im not doubting the formula works,i just dont know how..id think it would hold more true on a engine dyno not rwhp dyno..i know if i do a pull in 3rd ill make more tq and less hp at said rpm but then do a pull in 4th and make more hp and less tq at said rpm..

Also know per pound heavier the tires are equals about a 1/2 rwhp loss and also going from a 3.73 to a 4.88 will net less hp but more tq..I've been on the dyno probably 20 times with probably atleast 10 different setups and 2 different trucks..my big ass explorer on stock tires,on 33s and big ass 36x14.50s ...also the ranger probably 10 different times with different motors and different setups on those motors

So not doubting it just dont understand it...lol

It's not about one dyno measurement vs another. Just the mathematical relationship between torque and horsepower. Force (torque) times distance (RPM) creates power.

It's not about one dyno measurement vs another. Just the mathematical relationship between torque and horsepower. Force (torque) times distance (RPM) creates power.
Yea just dont see how it works and probably never will..lol i know on a engine dyno machine it makes what it makes..on a roller numbers can change drastically depending on how the dyno is setup or changes to the vehicle. ..if it makes 200hp it will never make more than that but tq it can make more depending on transmission and rear gears..

Honestly thats all over my head and now have a headache. ..haha

The most helpful aspect of using this formula for me is it simplifies that you gotta have two things to make horsepower, torque and rpm. To make more power you gotta make more of one or both. A diesel typically makes lots more torque than hp due to being rpm limited. A Hayabusa makes lots-o hp from just 100ftlb of torque because of lots-o rpm. Ya gotta have one or the other. What's the old saying "Good, cheap, fast. Pick 2, the other will be determined for you." Same with Torque, Power, RPM. Pick 2, the other is a mathematical calculation. I used to struggle with accepting these equations until I realized that the word "power" is not just a word to describe something, it is a rate of work. Units of power are horsepower, watts....and probably some others I'm forgetting. Engineering defined these words many moons ago so we need to stop misusing them, LOL. :)

An electric motor can make dynamic and/or static torque, either spinning or not spinning. If you think about it, an internal combustion engine can't make any torque without rpm so it really only makes hp, torque is calculated.

Torque will equal HP at 5252rpm. Torque will never equal HP at any other rpm.

The most helpful aspect of using this formula for me is it simplifies that you gotta have two things to make horsepower, torque and rpm. To make more power you gotta make more of one or both. A diesel typically makes lots more torque than hp due to being rpm limited. A Hayabusa makes lots-o hp from just 100ftlb of torque because of lots-o rpm. Ya gotta have one or the other. What's the old saying "Good, cheap, fast. Pick 2, the other will be determined for you." Same with Torque, Power, RPM. Pick 2, the other is a mathematical calculation. I used to struggle with accepting these equations until I realized that the word "power" is not just a word to describe something, it is a rate of work. Units of power are horsepower, watts....and probably some others I'm forgetting. Engineering defined these words many moons ago so we need to stop misusing them, LOL. :)

An electric motor can make dynamic and/or static torque, either spinning or not spinning. If you think about it, an internal combustion engine can't make any torque without rpm so it really only makes hp, torque is calculated.

Torque will equal HP at 5252rpm. Torque will never equal HP at any other rpm.
Hmm interesting, definitely makes little more sense now..i knew there was was to figure one or the other out just didnt know how and if they always held true..lol

So how does it work when the same motor/setup makes one set of figures at that rpm and then you change to heavy bigger tires and it make much less at same rpm/same setup?? Is the power being lost somewhere and not making it to the ground or is that same setup not making the same power?? Lol

Just greater driveline losses.

bigger tires will take more torque to turn,becuase their covering a greater distance. this is a variable that affects the overall total gear ratio (effective) and has to be taken into account on a dyno, if not taken into account then yes you will see losses.
the only way that you will get less HP to the ground by changing tires is if your losing alot of power to just heating the tires up,due to frictional losses from the tire deforming and rippling from weight and torque and lack of air pressure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bigger tires will take more torque to turn,becuase their covering a greater distance. this is a variable that affects the overall total gear ratio (effective) and has to be taken into account on a dyno, if not taken into account then yes you will see losses.
the only way that you will get less HP to the ground by changing tires is if your losing alot of power to just heating the tires up,due to frictional losses from the tire deforming and rippling from weight and torque and lack of air pressure.
I lost like 65rwhp going from my ""street"" 33s and my 36x14.50 off road tires in my explorer with same motor,same trans and same 4.88 gears..that same motor in my ranger with 28" tires and 3.73 made almost 80rwhp more...i have dyno sheets somewhere,my numbers might be slightly off but close

Back