Active Grille Shutter Assembly Repair/Replacement 2016 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Active Grille Shutter Assembly Repair/Replacement 2016 Explorer

Von Fullwood

Reaction score
City, State
Supply, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2016 Explorer XLT with 59,900 miles. I've had several issues with this vehicles beginning at 12,000 miles. The latest issue is the vehicle would show an alert that the "Engine Coolant Is Over Temperature". This happens mostly when the vehicle is traveling over 50+ mph with the a/c on. When the alert pops up, the a/c stops and the fan just blows outside air in the cabin.

I took it to my dealership, the diagnosis was the grille shutter assembly is stuck in the closed position and would need to be replaced. This part is not covered by Ford's Powertrain warranty (even though it could cause the engine to overheat). Total cost to repair: $1400!!!

Is there a fuse that could be blown that would cause this part to malfunction? There's got to be a more cost efficient way to repair this.

Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you check the fuse list in your Owner's Manual you will see the fuse #3 in the engine compartment is for the Active Grille Shutters. However, it also controls the A/C clutch control relay coil. Are you able to physically open the shutters and lock them in the open position by some means?

Peter

The actuator portion of the system is serviceable. Got any paperwork from the dealer giving a code by chance?

Yeah, I'd love to see a code.

They're supposed to self-test on startup, and ideally freeze open if there is a failure. They anticipated that the shutters might become immobilized especially in cold weather.

Fail Open like a Thermostat sounds logical.

Yeah, I'd love to see a code.

They're supposed to self-test on startup, and ideally freeze open if there is a failure. They anticipated that the shutters might become immobilized especially in cold weather.

Fail Open like a Thermostat sounds logical.

Problem is it's an electrical servo style actuator just like the blend door ones. If power/signal gets cut then it stays in that position. So it's hard to make it fail in a safe position with this type.

On a Mercedes they use a vacuum modulated actuator and when the vacuum is lost they fail open due to the return spring no matter where they are when it happens.

I have a 2016 Explorer XLT with 59,900 miles. I've had several issues with this vehicles beginning at 12,000 miles. The latest issue is the vehicle would show an alert that the "Engine Coolant Is Over Temperature". This happens mostly when the vehicle is traveling over 50+ mph with the a/c on. When the alert pops up, the a/c stops and the fan just blows outside air in the cabin.

I took it to my dealership, the diagnosis was the grille shutter assembly is stuck in the closed position and would need to be replaced. This part is not covered by Ford's Powertrain warranty (even though it could cause the engine to overheat). Total cost to repair: $1400!!!

Is there a fuse that could be blown that would cause this part to malfunction? There's got to be a more cost efficient way to repair this.

Please help!

Powertrain is engine/trans only, nothing else. The shutter is nondifferent then the alternator. The alternator if it fails will cause your engine not to run yet it is not covered.

I am also curious to how a $460 part ends up being $1,000 to replace in labor.. no way it takes 10 hours.

AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

I checked the service manual too... almost literally the instructions go this way:

1.) Remove front bumper cover <reference to that part of the WSM>
2.) Remove actuator.

Fin.

The bumper cover can't be more than a couple of hours on a bad day. (Truthfully I haven't looked that one up, however.)

Problem is it's an electrical servo style actuator just like the blend door ones. If power/signal gets cut then it stays in that position. So it's hard to make it fail in a safe position with this type.

On a Mercedes they use a vacuum modulated actuator and when the vacuum is lost they fail open due to the return spring no matter where they are when it happens.

Good point. In my mind the failure mode was that it falsely sensed an obstruction then shut down, not that the actuator was dead mid-cycle or at an otherwise inconvenient position.

Powertrain is engine/trans only, nothing else. The shutter is nondifferent then the alternator. The alternator if it fails will cause your engine not to run yet it is not covered.

I am also curious to how a $460 part ends up being $1,000 to replace in labor.. now way it takes 10 hours.

AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Gotcha. Like set position to x degrees, position not met within x amount of time, default to 90 degrees open.

Interesting, had no idea my explorer had these active grill shutter. Guessing this happens automatically at certain speeds? Cool feature but I guess just another thing to go wrong.

My 13 Taurus SEL had them and worked pretty much seamlessly. I pretty much forgot they were there until I added the Police interceptor grille and you could see them in action.

Interesting, had no idea my explorer had these active grill shutter. Guessing this happens automatically at certain speeds? Cool feature but I guess just another thing to go wrong.

Speeds are part but not all. Normal SOP is that they will close at highway speeds -- to cut down on drag when cooling isn't needed. At startup, they'll actually close to help the engine reach operating temperature (and thus greatest efficiency) faster.

I haven't known anyone to have issues with them until now.

Speeds are part but not all. Normal SOP is that they will close at highway speeds -- to cut down on drag when cooling isn't needed. At startup, they'll actually close to help the engine reach operating temperature (and thus greatest efficiency) faster.

I haven't known anyone to have issues with them until now.

Very cool. Thanks for the info. Guessing there's no way to tell if it's working, just that it all happens in the background.

Very cool. Thanks for the info. Guessing there's no way to tell if it's working, just that it all happens in the background.

Forscan should be able to show percent open. Should be a PID for the PCM.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you check the fuse list in your Owner's Manual you will see the fuse #3 in the engine compartment is for the Active Grill Shutters. However, it also controls the A/C clutch control relay coil. Are you able to physically open the shutters and lock them in the open position by some means?

Peter

Thanks! I'll have my husband check the fuse. I haven't tried to physically open them. I can try that as well.

Thanks! I'll have my husband check the fuse. I haven't tried to physically open them. I can try that as well.
If your A/C is working then I would say the fuse is not the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forscan should be able to show percent open. Should be a PID for the PCM.

I think FORScan also supports output state control for this item. You should be able to set the percentage open/closed via PCM or BCM, probably the former.

Back