Adding Police Engine Idle / Secure Idle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Police Engine Idle / Secure Idle

Maybe the 18 programming is different. Would a 17 need to have some upgrades to module software to allow changing existing functionality or updating new functionality?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Police_Idle_Warning.jpg

This is the same for both 17 and 18.

IDS does change its functionality from time to time so it is possible something changed with it. I also tried by manually editing it in IDS and I would get a pop up in the IPC that said vehicle not configured for police engine idle. I tried this when the 17s were first out.

I just did this on a 2018 police interceptor on Friday. We purchased the ford switch along with the trim piece that has the cutout for the switch.
Then enabled it using IDS > Toolbox > Electrical > Police Features > Police Idle > Enable Police Idle.
Can you post your before and after changes? BCM and any other modules?

I did get this screen and just clicked yes and I believe the next screen Is were you have the options to enable or disable.
Police_Idle_Warning.jpg

This is the same for both 17 and 18.

No modules were replaced or reprogrammed. Just added the switch and enabled with IDS.
In order to change software functionality, you are essentially "reprogramming" something. I am not familiar with how IDS works, but if you make a change the underlying abd should change for whatever modules were impacted. In forscan, you can view the abd data for each module before and after the change - not sure if it is the same in IDS.

In order to change software functionality, you are essentially "reprogramming" something. I am not familiar with how IDS works, but if you make a change the underlying abd should change for whatever modules were impacted. In forscan, you can view the abd data for each module before and after the change - not sure if it is the same in IDS.
Ok sure, I guess technically. I'm just saying I didn't do any "deeper module programming" as mentioned earlier in the thread or module calibration changes within the Module Reprogramming tab of IDS. As far as Forscan goes, I've never used it, but I can take a look at the session on IDS to see if I can get that info.

Ok sure, I guess technically. I'm just saying I didn't do any "deeper module programming" as mentioned earlier in the thread or module calibration changes within the Module Reprogramming tab of IDS. As far as Forscan goes, I've never used it, but I can take a look at the session on IDS to see if I can get that info.

The info is not readily available in IDS but it is there, just hard to find. If you exported the session and emailed it to me I could look at it.

Just bumping this to keep it top of mind so we can figure out if this can actually be activated with forscan or not.

Has anyone confirmed if this was an actual option for the 2011-14 vehicles? I picked-up a wrecked 2013 Interceptor Sedan which has a police idle feature, but I'm guessing that at least some of it (like the activation button) is not OEM. I haven't had a chance to look up the build info on the car to see if it shipped that way, but it did have what appears to be the full Ready-for-the-Road package judging from the headlight & taillight lighting options, the OEM siren speaker, and the remains of what appears to be OEM grille strobe wiring. If there was an option for this feature, I'm guessing they sprung for it.

It ties-in to a few vehicle systems, but operates a little differently than Ford's description. It kills the engine if the brake pedal is touched without the key in the ignition, and, if the key isn't inserted within a few seconds, starts honking the horn. I haven't rooted around under the dash to see if there's an aftermarket module or if the switch just wires directly into the police package wiring harness, there's plenty else to do with this failed donor car. Yep, it's probably going back on the road than donating the parts I need for the Ecoboost PIU I'm rebuilding...

That sounds like one of the aftermarket solutions, not factory.

I was able to hook up to a 2018 Utility today. No go. Failed stating vehicle was not configured for it.

I was hoping Linville78 would respond with details on how they were able to do it. Did they ever send you over any session data to review?

No. The only other thing I can think of is is getting the hardware switch and installing that. Perhaps it is looking for the switch to be present before it will activate it.

I just did this on a 2018 police interceptor on Friday. We purchased the ford switch along with the trim piece that has the cutout for the switch.
Then enabled it using IDS > Toolbox > Electrical > Police Features > Police Idle > Enable Police Idle.
I would appreciate you sharing with us the parts numbers for the trim piece, switch, and any others you needed to buy for this modification. They are not in the catalogue.

Apparently Ford doesn't even know the part # for the switch assembly. A dealer I do a fair amount of business with can't locate the part # of the switch so they contacted whomever they contact at Ford to get correct part #s and they gave them the part # for Whelen light/siren controller. Ugh.....

Working on getting an answer to this with a buddy of mine, he works at a ford dealer and is going to do some digging for me.

Edit: Also i just looked up a buyers guide for a 2017 and from what i see its option 47A, that might help with talking to ford.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Working on getting an answer to this with a buddy of mine, he works at a ford dealer and is going to do some digging for me.

Edit: Also i just looked up a buyers guide for a 2017 and from what i see its option 47A, that might help with talking to ford.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Back