Anyway to increase following distance with ACC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyway to increase following distance with ACC?

jhu8

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Ford Explorer ST
I really do love this feature and it sucks the explorer doesn't have RCC with stop and go but I was wondering if there was any way to increase the traveling distance even more? At regular highway speeds, the distance options are perfect. But having an additional option to remain further back during traffic would help prevent the system from kicking off once you reach the minimum speed. So any time I'm in traffic I always set the distance to 4 that way it keeps a better/further distance in the event people slow down even further. So that I have that space already in between me and the car in front to help stay above the minimum speed. Anyone know of a way to make this happen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you mean Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)? to my knowledge NO which makes it pretty much useless in traffic. I would switch to regular cruise in traffic and the ACC Could come in handy on rural, areas, interstates outside metropolitan areas.

I believe the reason the ACC disengages at the set speed is mainly for safety. I don't believe ACC was designed to be used in stop and go traffic. I don't know if vehicles with the engine stop and go feature will allow ACC to be engaged. Perhaps someone with knowledge of that system can jump in and answer that.

Peter

Do you mean Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)? to my knowledge NO which makes it pretty much useless in traffic. I would switch to regular cruise in traffic and the ACC Could come in handy on rural, areas, interstates outside metropolitan areas.

Yeah ACC. Just use to radar cruise control from my Mazda. Yeah it really is useless in traffic. It has to be just the right flow to keep it going.

I believe the reason the ACC disengages at the set speed is mainly for safety. I don't believe ACC was designed to be used in stop and go traffic. I don't know if vehicles with the engine stop and go feature will allow ACC to be engaged. Perhaps someone with knowledge of that system can jump in and answer that.

Peter

I know a lot of newer vehicles offer that stop and go functionality. Nissan advertises it all the time with their rouge.

When you say engine stop and go feature, are you talking about the start/stop technology where the engine shuts off when the car is stopped?

ACC is just what ford calls it I thought. All the manufacturers have their own terminology but all operate in the same manner. I think the explorer ACC was just a generation or so behind as far as the stop and go traffic support. The explorer is around 10 mph or so. I was reading about the Honda Ridgeline and their ACC turns off at around 20 mph. Which that is limit is really awful.

Since at one time Ford owned part of Mazda I will cut you some slack on the RCC/ACC Terminology......This Time....LOL!!!

Adaptive Cruise and Stop Start are two different systems. I am in a service loaner from my Audi Dealer with a 2018 A4 Stop/Start...I HATE IT. First thing I do is turn it off then my hand flows back to the shifter for gear selection. I understand the fuel savings but not comfortable because it sounds too much like a car stalling, not as seamless transition from run-off-run again as they make it sound.

Of course the Spaghetti Charts, Abacus and slide rule to determine what gear your in doesn't help their case for new technology. What was so wrong about PRNDL? I grew up on PRNDL...actually D L2 L1 which gave way to The O around the D, or D-3-2-1 then started the eventual transition to 5-6-7-8-9 and now 10 speed automatics. I get adding electronic controllers to transmissions but keep shifter simple.....PRND I guess the new version of Low is Sport which is fine as long as you know what gear your in or use the shifter or paddle shifter to shift manually.

Getting a little of course but a quick trip down memory lane old school driving. Anyone remember when you could actually change a transmission filter and fluid and not destroy a driveway doing it?

..........When you say engine stop and go feature, are you talking about the start/stop technology where the engine shuts off when the car is stopped?
Yes, that is what I was referring to.

Peter

I recently took a ride in my friends F150 that had the ASS (lol) technology and to say I found it more annoying than anything.

How much mpg increase would one expect to see if ASS was implemented on the current gen Explorers? Does ASS not increase wear on the engine by turning on and off so often?

Back