Passengers Seat Feels Like a Brick | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Passengers Seat Feels Like a Brick

DiGiornoRisingCrust

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
The passenger seat in my 07' feels like sitting on a a concrete block, so what can I do?

Is it possible to fill the seat with Polyfil, or should I replace the cushion? Or would buying new seats just be an easier option?

And does anyone know if seats from a Mountaineer or Aviator will fit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The passenger seat in my 07' feels like sitting on a a concrete block, so what can I do?

Is it possible to fill the seat with Polyfil, or should I replace the cushion? Or would buying new seats just be an easier option?

And does anyone know if seats from a Mountaineer or Aviator will fit?
Strange - I too have an 07 EB so I know you have leather - mine is fine. You probably just need to break it in - are you married? ;):bounce:

No, but I've only had the explorer for about 9 months, and it's 11 years old, so I'm sure the previous owner sat in it. The dealership said the previous owner was a grandma who used the Ex to ferry around the grandkids, which would explain the multitude of hidden stains I found after doing a thorough clean.

Either my joke went right over your head or you didn't find it amusing :laugh:

Doing that on a concrete block doesn't sound funny to me.

Plus, this tan interior is too hard to keep clean as it is.

The tan isn't too bad - it's the off white inserts as you know. Drives me crazy but when you buy used and it checks off all the other needs then you do what you have to.
My passenger side seat is firmer than the driver's seat but nothing I find horribly uncomfortable (especially since I'm never over there). Maybe look into some seat covers that have additional padding built it? Or add some small padding under a seat cover.
Replacing the seats seems a little drastic to me.

BTW - If you do get seat covers let me know what you got and how they fit. I'm thinking about them not only because of the off white inserts but also because of the glare they throw on my large screen aftermarket stereo. When the sun hits that passenger seat back it is impossible to see the screen. I've done some research but how do you know how the fit and finish is going to be buying online?

Will do. I'm going to do a bit more research on my options first. I don't have the radio problem, my passenger seat insert is so worn it's pretty dull. Plus, I've got an aftermarket head unit which is a lot brighter than stock. I bought some good leather cleaner/conditioner and it works really well, the off white inserts in the door panels look nice, but it was too late for the seatback.

What kind of seat cover are you looking at? I've looked before but can't find any I like. Looking for a black one, maybe with some minimal tan inserts. Right now my interior is an overload of beige.

Which head unit do you have? I have a JVC KW-V320BT and it really suffers from glare issues. I'm looking for another one for a car that has a light gray interior and the glare issue is holding me back.
Thinking about it, I guess I should find a black towel to hang over the seat back to see if it would even help.
I basically just did a web search and found some decent candidates but they were several hundred so it was hard to order and hope they actually fit. I understand that it will be obvious that I have covered the seats - but I don't want something I'll have to adjust constantly.

I didn't want a touchscreen, so I went with the Kenwood DPX303MBT. You can get it in the eXcelon trim, or with a CD player (dpx503bt)

I like it so far, it's very bright, and very customizable. You can make the color pretty much whatever you want, which was important to me. (Didn't want a radio that had a color that clashed with the yellow green of the temp control and the info screen in the gauge cluster)

And that would be the difference - mine is a touchscreen.

Incidentally - when I was younger there was a real rivalry between Kenwood and JVC. I always preferred JVC because, you know, that's what my group liked. I carry that preference to this day - even though I have learned that JVC and Kenwood are no longer the companies that we knew in the past. They are basically just names that an overseas manufacturer now owns.

The website is JVCKENWOOD Corporation

I was very disappointed when I learned this :(

I think now JVC is just a value Kenwood.

Have you done any other worthwhile mods to your Explorer? I've done a radio, some speakers, and some LED puddle lights, and soon some LED fogs.

I think now JVC is just a value Kenwood.
Those are fighting words!,
Have you done any other worthwhile mods to your Explorer? I've done a radio, some speakers, a

No mods others than a backup camera, stereo, and speakers. I spend the majority of my time keeping it running like new.

Tried to insert a quote - didn't work and easily missed. JVC will never be a cheaper version of Kenwood!

Back