ON HOLD Explorer XLT 1993 4 Door, 5 Speed, 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ON HOLD Explorer XLT 1993 4 Door, 5 Speed, 4WD

davidk

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
Since I'm having problems with my 93 Limited Automatic, I've put off selling "old reliable" AKA my 93 XLT 5 speed on hold. When the Limited is sorted out and is my reliable daily driver and trip car, then I'll revisit selling the XLT 5 speed.

A bad shifting shoulder and clutch knee (and living in the land of heavy traffic) means it is time to reluctantly sell my 1993 Explorer XLT 4WD, 4 door, 5 speed. I bought it in 1996 with around 70K miles, it turned over 260K recently. It's a California car. It starts right up hot or cold. I'd drive this car from Sacramento to Seattle and back with no worries about it making it! Good mileage on the highway, not very good in town (in other words, a typical older gen Explorer. I just smogged and re-registered in June 25, 2018. California smog not required again until June 2020.

I'm easy on this car, keeping it mostly between 1500-2000 RPM. Clutch and manual transmission work good. A bit of a thump going into 4WD, but engages and disengages (high and low). Brakes are good, my Michelin LTX-AT2 tires still have road-worthy tread on them, alignment is good. No check engine lights. The suspension is about what you'd expect from a high-mileage vehicle, i.e. a bit bouncy. The Bilstein shocks aren't leaking. I put big IPD sway bars with poly bushings front and rear after I purchased it, and replaced a lot of the other suspension bushings with poly. Also had teflon pads put between the leaf springs. It doesn't handle like your typical Explorer. :)

Only exterior damage is a small dent in driver's door where someone not paying attention backed into it in a parking lot, and the driver side rear door quarter window was broken out (currently covered with tape). Clearcoat on hood and roof are shot (thank you early 1990's Ford paint). Headliner needs to be replaced. Seats are basically new since I've always kept them covered (I had both front seat foam cushions replaced at 150K miles). Both front doors need the window bushings replaced. AC works, but the compressor cycles back and forth. Radio is a nice decoration since it stopped working a while ago (I use my iphone with an external speaker, since I don't listen to radio anyway).

I've taken good care of this vehicle and if shoulder and knee wasn't an issue, I'd put money into it and keep driving it for another 260K. Instead I bit the bullet and bought another 93 Explorer, but with an automatic transmission. It's boring but my body is happier.

Here is a photo of the X at Crater Lake when everything was nice and shiny back in 2004. And if you want to go to Yellowstone, I'm sure it remembers the way.

upload_2018-9-13_13-25-11.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot to mention I had added an alarm with remote entry, starter disable and alarm. The alarm itself stopped working, but the remote entry and starter disable work fine. I'm ok with that since people don't pay much attention to car alarms anyway.

A bad shifting shoulder and clutch knee (and living in the land of heavy traffic) means it is time to reluctantly sell my 1993 Explorer XLT 4WD, 4 door, 5 speed. I bought it in 1996 with around 70K miles, it turned over 260K recently. It's a California car. It starts right up hot or cold. I'd drive this car from Sacramento to Seattle and back with no worries about it making it! Good mileage on the highway, not very good in town (in other words, a typical older gen Explorer. I just smogged and re-registered in June 25, 2018. California smog not required again until June 2020. It passed barely, so I need to sell it before September 25th or I have to re-smog it, and I'm not sure it would pass (it tends to eat cats).

I'm easy on this car, keeping it mostly between 1500-2000 RPM. Clutch and manual transmission work good. A bit of a thump going into 4WD, but engages and disengages (high and low). Brakes are good, my Michelin LTX-AT2 tires still have road-worthy tread on them, alignment is good. No check engine lights. The suspension is about what you'd expect from a high-mileage vehicle, i.e. a bit bouncy. The Bilstein shocks aren't leaking. I put big IPD sway bars with poly bushings front and rear after I purchased it, and replaced a lot of the other suspension bushings with poly. Also had teflon pads put between the leaf springs. It doesn't handle like your typical Explorer. :)

Only exterior damage is a small dent in driver's door where someone not paying attention backed into it in a parking lot, and the driver side rear door quarter window was broken out (currently covered with tape). Clearcoat on hood and roof are shot (thank you early 1990's Ford paint). Headliner needs to be replaced. Seats are basically new since I've always kept them covered (I had both front seat foam cushions replaced at 150K miles). Both front doors need the window bushings replaced. AC works, but the compressor cycles back and forth. Radio is a nice decoration since it stopped working a while ago (I use my iphone with an external speaker, since I don't listen to radio anyway).

I've taken good care of this vehicle and if shoulder and knee wasn't an issue, I'd put money into it and keep driving it for another 260K. Instead I bit the bullet and bought another 93 Explorer, but with an automatic transmission. It's boring but my body is happier.

Let me know if interested. I could drive/deliver it a reasonable distance for gas $$. It's a good foundation for a manual transmission wheeler, or a driver for someone who likes shifting their own gears. I'd rather it go to someone who would appreciate it and take care of it. I'm putting it on Craigslist next Wednesday or so and I imagine it will go quickly.

Here is a photo of the X at Crater Lake when everything was nice and shiny back in 2004. And if you want to go to Yellowstone, I'm sure it remembers the way.

View attachment 162700

Status on this? Gone or still available?

Still got it. Had to change plans because my green 93 Limited Automatic (107K miles) has developed a strange no-start problem. So I'm glad I have "old reliable with 260K miles" which starts first time, every time and gets me where I need to go. Once I get the green X going and feel comfortable about letting the red one go, then I'll PM you if you like.

David,

Still have the Explorer and are looking to sell? The transmission on my 2000 XLT went out after a road trip and I'm looking to get back into a manual 1st gen. I had a '91 that got to about 260k when I was college.

PM me if you still have it.

Back