• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer 4.0 spark plugs

Floridaexplorer43

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 4wd 4 0
Im just shy of 180,000. I don't know what previous owner did or if ever changed. Is Explorer picky on plugs like some vehicles. I read some break off but was under impression that was on the 8 cylinders. I don't think the 4.0 looks too difficult to get to. But havent specifically looked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Soak them for awhile first. At 180k they’ve almost surely been changed.

I’d use only Motorcraft platinum plugs.

Soak? I don't know how long they have been in. No response from previois,owner, tried asking yesterday.

Yeah, spray a little penetrating oil in the plug wells.

is this the original engine? if not buy the plugs for the year of the engine not the year of the body.

there should be a serial number on the block, I believe its on the driver side stamped into the block.

if you can not find the serial number, it no worries, just take a old plug with you to the auto parts store with you and compare the old plug with your new plugs you are going to buy.

there should be a serial number on the block, I believe its on the driver side stamped into the block.

if you can not find the serial number, it no worries, just take a old plug with you to the auto parts store with you and compare the old plug with your new plugs you are going to buy.
Do they change by year on the 4.0s?

I bought plugs for an 03 body but engine was 10. Different plugs. Ran like crap.

Screenshot_20180923-212009_Chrome.jpg

Third gen didn't get a OHV engine
Look it up, 03 plugs are different that 2010

Removed one boot looked in , looks like plug has light blue writing...Autolite?
May go buy plugs shortly, many plug manufacturers have mixed reviews on antiseize. I bought a beam style torque wrench.

I always use antiseize on plugs and lugs.

No, they aren’t the same. Anti seize on the threads, dielectric on the boots. It’s not very common, but plugs stick in just about every motor from time to time.

Autozone said my vehicle came with double platinum motorcraft but don't have dp only single platinum for same price so I bought the sp500 B/C "yall" said sp500. Auto Zone had dp in bosch, I said no bosch motorcraft only.

@Mbrooks420 Ok so I just took your advice on the anti seize
And dielectric grease

Took a look at my new engine with 6500 miles roughly
pulled a plug boot
No grease wtf
So I pulled a plug out no anti seize
My mechanic who dropped in my engine was slacking that day funny he did not mess anything else up ....and I looked
Don't know why he didn't put that dielectric grease I can see the anti seize tho

So I spent a half hour pulling all the plugs and put copper anti seize and dielectric grease

I have to say I expected the plugs to come out easy.....no dice not hard but not smooth I was able to turn them out by hand with a wiggle or two

However this was a good opportunity to read the plugs which looked perfect at 6500

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2003 4.0 is counter closewise to loosen correct?? (Aka lefty loosey)

Back