Will a stock 5.0 handle a 200+hp shot of Nitrous? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will a stock 5.0 handle a 200+hp shot of Nitrous?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

But that's cheating though. It doesn't count. :nono:

Besides, every one here knows a 12 is not that easy. It take decades and ten's of thousands of dollars and a swear jar the size of a contractors dumpster to even approach its door..

Perhaps the guy was on a 1000' track and didn't know it??
What’s cheating? The slip said 1/4 mile.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m on a 100 shot now and have seriously been contemplating on bumping it too a 150 this weekend. Maybe a 125 just too play it safe at first

I wouldn’t
Stock 5.0 block is a weak link, seen block cracked in half with a little over 500 hp, lots of pics of broken 5.0 blocks on the web

I would. It's not my block. :D

but..

215hp+175hp=390hp.

390hp<500hp

The question is: what happens if the factory headers can't get 400hp worth of exhaust through them? :dunno:

If you had TMH's on a stock engine, I don't see why it couldn't handle 250hp shot?? I know they did back in the day!

Good thing is, it should only set you back a junk yard motor ($300-500) and a weekend to swap it if things don't go as planned. Cheaper than blowing up a built motor you have five to fifteen thousand invested in. Five thousand dollars will buy you a lot of used motors and nitrous. Once the tune is buttoned up and you dialed the launch, your biggest concerns are if the gasoline you just bought is fresh and do I have enough nitrous for one more run.

But as for me?.. Never touch the stuff. Cheaters never prosper..

...I've heard.

:shifty:
This...

You can spray it but will you get the benefits of the full shot?? Only way to know would be on a dyno,keep stepping shot up till not making as much power for the step up or till you got nervous about the size..obviously a wet shot and progressive shot would be best..AND TUNE TUNE ..higher octane, colder plugs,bottle warmer,..etc..id stop at 250 if it was still making good power..but thats with all things working together. .these blocks can be had for cheap..

But would i throw a direct 250 shot,hell no..even with tune,colder plugs, octane..think id quite around 150-175 just to be ""safe""

I've had kits on almost every vehicle and built ranger 4.0ish..I've sprayed a 150 shot at 12lbs of boost with 3* taken out on E50 and it LOVES it..with boost i make more than the 150 shot advertised hp..

With my new motor i make 18lbs and wont tell you my shot size but its built for it sooo..
received_10217183666362744.png

Get a dart block
/thread

Why not a 175 shot?
MY noids max out at 150 shot. 175 is in the works tho. I’m pulling the engine out this winter and doing a small simple build. I’m opening up the ring gap In the bottom end, adding a HO cam. Arp head studs and better valve springs. Then sending a 175 shot through it with a nitrous progressor.

I wouldn’t
Stock 5.0 block is a weak link, seen block cracked in half with a little over 500 hp, lots of pics of broken 5.0 blocks on the web
Guy out here pushing 819 on a stock block bottom end 302... so the whole always splitting at 500 is a myth

Guy out here pushing 819 on a stock block bottom end 302... so the whole always splitting at 500 is a myth
It’s not really a myth. It’s fairly accepted, and proven, they are good up into the 500s. One thing I’ve learned about HP is that guys LOVE to guess, exaggerate, and outright lie about what they are putting down. If I didn’t see it make a dyno run, I take just about everyone’s claims with a grain of salt.

Not always but I have seen it. Tune is crucial obviously..
This is also going back a few years, haven’t seen it too much lately.

Back