List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 49 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer Limited and this problem started about 3 years ago. I went to 3 different dealer and they all told me the same thing. Not covered unless it is rusted through. I even contact Ford Canada through Twitter and they decline to cover it. My wife got into a small accident and got the whole hood repainted at the insurance company rate (dirt cheap). Ford Canada on Twitter mentioned to keep my receipts in case they issue a recall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..........My wife got into a small accident and got the whole hood repainted at the insurance company rate (dirt cheap). Ford Canada on Twitter mentioned to keep my receipts in case they issue a recall.
That's one way to resolve the problem. Unfortunately, you can expect the issue to return as have many others who simply had it repainted.:(

Peter

What is the one way to resolve this issue? Both of our 2016 Explorers are having the same issue. thanks

What is the one way to resolve this issue? Both of our 2016 Explorers are having the same issue. thanks
Have the hoods replaced under warranty.

Peter

I have a 2015 Sport and the front lip of the hood is starting to bubble. Local dealership told me it has to be a hole before it can be repaired under the corrosion warranty and denied the claim. I used to have a 2004 Explorer and the hood corroded on it....which I paid to have repainted. Then I had a 2013 Explorer which had the front lip of the hood corroded.....Ford denied coverage on it. So this is the 3rd Explorer I have had and all 3 of them had corrosion problems on the front lip of the hood. You would think that with it being an ongoing issue for so long Ford would at some point realize there is a problem with the initial manufacturing process and do it a different way. How embarrassing to have $30k-$50k vehicles that won't even make it to 3-5 yrs old before the paint on the hood starts bubbling. Very poor design and even worse owner support with not taking care of it when it's been a known problem for so many years. Step up and support the owners that keep buying these vehicles with a know manufacturing flaw for so many years. Shame on you Ford.......shame on you. It would be a total waste of mt time to call Ford customer service....I already know I would get the typical reply of "Sorry.....nothing we can do" which is basically the same as saying...."oh well......tough ****" in my opinion.

Hey Jim.The corrosion on the 2013 and 2015 was caused by the aluminum hood not being prepared properly before painting. This issue would not have been the same on the 2004. Ford has acknowledged the issue in a round about way by extending the warranty to 5 years beginning with the 2016 models. Unfortunately they have not addressed the issue with pre 2016 Explorers that are out of warranty.:(

Peter

Hey Jim.The corrosion on the 2013 and 2015 was caused by the aluminum hood not being prepared properly before painting. This issue would not have been the same on the 2004. Ford has acknowledged the issue in a round about way by extending the warranty to 5 years beginning with the 2016 models. Unfortunately they have not addressed the issue with pre 2016 Explorers that are out of warranty.:(

Peter
My 2004 had an aluminum hood that corroded at front lip.....same as my 2013 and my current 2015. And my 2015 has 5 yr/unlimited warranty on corrosion...but perforation only.

My 2004 had an aluminum hood that corroded at front lip.....same as my 2013 and my current 2015. And my 2015 has 5 yr/unlimited warranty on corrosion...but perforation only.
I wasn't aware that the 2004 had an aluminum hood. I was under the impression that only started with the 5th generation (2011) Explorers.

Peter

Peter
I've seen and heard so many different reasons why they are corroding, it's hard to keep up. Some stories are bad prep. Some stories are bad material. Some stories are bad material handling - i.e. coming into contact with iron based parts that triggers the galvanic corrosion in the first place...and so on.

Unfortunately, if you get a new hood, there is still no guarantee it won't corrode the same way as the old one, because the root cause of the problem has apparently not been correctly identified and corrected (since this has been going on for more than a decade). Judge Allows Suit Over Aluminum Corrosion in Fords to Move Forward

So many people here with the same issue. Does someone know a lawyer that can file a new class action against Ford?

So many people here with the same issue. Does someone know a lawyer that can file a new class action against Ford?
Check out this thread a few pages back. The info is there already.

Peter

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but I'm glad to learn this is being taken care of for you, ANGST.

Deysha
Haven't seen you chime in here in quite some time FordService. Is there anything Ford plans on doing to help all of us loyal owners? Myself, I am on my 3rd explorer (2004, 2013 & current 2015) and every one of them experienced corrosion to the front lip of the hood. Then 2004 & 2013 were both taken care of with no assistance whatsoever from Ford Motor Company. I would think that with a problem going on for this many years now Ford would finally acknowledge there is a design/manufacturing flaw and fix it. I would also think that taking care of it under the corrosion warranty would be a valid repair to keep your loyal customers satisfied and coming back. Every time I have tried to get mine taken care of under the corrosion warranty I was told it has to be perforation (a hole). Now, I'm no body man (was actually a Ford tech for 10 yrs back in the day) but I would think it would be cheaper to repair it before it creates a hole in the panel....unless Ford is counting on the hole developing after the corrosion warranty has expired which seems to be the case. Either way to have this many vehicles out there with the same problem for so many years is quite ridiculous and Ford should step up and take care of it. There's no way a $50k Ford Explorer Sport should have corrosion starting being less than 5 yrs old. Shame on you Ford....shame on you!!

Haven't seen you chime in here in quite some time FordService. Is there anything Ford plans on doing to help all of us loyal owners? Myself, I am on my 3rd explorer (2004, 2013 & current 2015) and every one of them experienced corrosion to the front lip of the hood. Then 2004 & 2013 were both taken care of with no assistance whatsoever from Ford Motor Company. I would think that with a problem going on for this many years now Ford would finally acknowledge there is a design/manufacturing flaw and fix it. I would also think that taking care of it under the corrosion warranty would be a valid repair to keep your loyal customers satisfied and coming back. Every time I have tried to get mine taken care of under the corrosion warranty I was told it has to be perforation (a hole). Now, I'm no body man (was actually a Ford tech for 10 yrs back in the day) but I would think it would be cheaper to repair it before it creates a hole in the panel....unless Ford is counting on the hole developing after the corrosion warranty has expired which seems to be the case. Either way to have this many vehicles out there with the same problem for so many years is quite ridiculous and Ford should step up and take care of it. There's no way a $50k Ford Explorer Sport should have corrosion starting being less than 5 yrs old. Shame on you Ford....shame on you!!

For Reps haven't been on here for 2yrs now.
Best is to work with your dealership and have them go to bat for you.

There will never be a hole because Aluminum does not rust.

Your $50k sport hood is no different then a $35k xlt hood. How much your vehicle cost has no bearing on this hood issue

Im going to make a hole in mine...
And write a shame letter to CEO...

Im going to make a hole in mine...
And write a shame letter to CEO...
I'm afraid all you'll be left with is a hood with a hole.

Peter

Picked the Sport up yesterday. New hood is painted and installed. Looks really good. From time I had pictures taken to hood coming in and body shop scheduled to do it was about two weeks total. Body shop wanted to have me leave the car with them but Ford provided me a new Escape for the 3 days they had it.

Picked the Sport up yesterday. New hood is painted and installed. Looks really good. From time I had pictures taken to hood coming in and body shop scheduled to do it was about two weeks total. Body shop wanted to have me leave the car with them but Ford provided me a new Escape for the 3 days they had it.

Interesting.... I wonder why they needed the vehicle for 3 days... did they blend the fenders in?
My hood was received, prepped/sealed and painted per my paint code and, it was done and ready to install, when they called me to setup an appointment. Hood swap took about an hour.

Ironically I had a 2002 F-150, bought new, that had an aluminum hood that never had any paint issues. The rest of the steel body and frame rusted totally, but the hood was fine :laugh:. We have a 2017 Explorer that we just washed and waxed for winter and so far the hood paint seems ok. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

Whimsey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting.... I wonder why they needed the vehicle for 3 days... did they blend the fenders in?
My hood was received, prepped/sealed and painted per my paint code and, it was done and ready to install, when they called me to setup an appointment. Hood swap took about an hour.

No clue why they needed it three days. They did not need to do any blending. Since I had a loaner I didn’t mind putt the miles on their car :)

Back