Completed Project - My 98 super charged EX | Page 65 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project My 98 super charged EX

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
Bought it with a melted alternator/wiring harness from a junkyard for $1,000
Fixed it, drove it for two weeks, then I boosted it.
Started with an M90 supercharger kit from www.Bansheesuperchargerkit.com
Upgraded to an M112 Lightning supercharger that was a prototype kit.
Next was the M122 off a 2012 GT500
I have reached 20 lbs of boost (with ARP head studs) and a 12.83 in a quarter mile.

Pictures
1. How it looked when I brought it home.
2.The M90 supercharger installed
3.The GT500 supercharger installed
4.How it looks now
5.Wheelie
green ex.jpg
DSC02710.JPG
5.JPG
Lowered Rear.jpg
Exploder wheelie.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think any clutch kit will work with these 8.8's, the descriptions I read on Summit referred to the later Mustangs/2015 as having the unique clutch parts and not all work with those cars. I just bought another clutch kit, for my 98 truck, and two axles from Summit.

I hope your axles will work, it's best for the hub size to match the wheels for strength. When I was choosing axles, one review mentioned axles that were too big(hub size), and the person filed their wheels bigger to fit them. That was one of a couple of brands I was looking at, not Moser, and I chose another brand, in the $130 each range. I haven't test fitted these axles yet, I have one and the other is still to ship.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The hub on the Moser axle seems too short, it doesn't even come close to touching inside the wheel.
The diameter is perfect but it doesn't come through the rotor much.
I sent an email to Moser with a picture and asked for advise.

I am probably going to have to remove them.

Moser gave me two choices for studs, 1.5 and 3 inch so I went with the longer ones as an experiment.
At the track you see long studs sticking through the lug nuts and that's how the track officials know you have enough threads holding on the wheels.
I figured I could cut them down for a perfect fit and use a Heliburr deburring tool to put a taper back on the tip of the studs.
I have to order the tool still but am waiting for a reply from Moser about the hub being so short.

I will be looking into lug nuts as well, maybe its time for new wheels/tires too?
I kind of liked the stock look though.

time for 4 drag radials on some light wheels

I'd think you'd want some nice chromed capped lugs to go with whatever aftermarket wheels you choose.

I like those stock lug nuts when behind center caps. Those are larger and stronger than any non McGard OEM type stuff. I think McGard are the strongest, using the best possible steel. I use those on everything but my stock wheel Explorers.

it would be nice if you could find a somewhat stock looking wheel to keep the sleeper look going, or have a stock set widened

it would be nice if you could find a somewhat stock looking wheel to keep the sleeper look going, or have a stock set widened

There are a few OEM 17x8 Ford wheels from mid 90's Mustangs that can work(check out the 98 Mustang GT wheel(split five spoke)), but the front are very close to the upper BJ's. I had 94/95 Cobra wheels on my Mountaineer for one set of tires(28k miles), and I used a 1/4" spacer to be sure the front BJ's had plenty of clearance. Those 17x8's are about the only OEM wheels that would be better than the Explorer 7" wide wheels. I'd hunt an aftermarket wheel if the Explorer wheels aren't enough. But those are hard to find, that you like both the look of, and which fit properly.

Those wheels look good, I like a thick spoked wheel, not really thin stuff.

My alloy USA shafts clear the rotor like factory, hard to tell since I had the spacer on in this pic

20180922_162810.jpg

My alloy USA shafts clear the rotor like factory, hard to tell since I had the spacer on in this pic
I was hoping to see a picture of those Alloy axles with the hub sticking through the rotor. Ahodges has them too.
If either of you have a picture showing how far the hub sticks through, I would love to see it. I might even be able to send it to Moser and talk them into making their axles with longer hubs.

I did take it for a road test today, it felt fine even at highway speeds.
Looking into this made me conclude that the stock wheels were hub and lug centric, maybe it will be ok as it is.
I should have a reply from Moser when business hours start back up tomorrow.

Centaurus5.0,
Would those wheels and tires fit an Explorer like mine?
I would love to have a set of street / drag tires and wheels.

I was hoping to see a picture of those Alloy axles with the hub sticking through the rotor. Ahodges has them too.
If either of you have a picture showing how far the hub sticks through, I would love to see it. I might even be able to send it to Moser and talk them into making their axles with longer hubs.

I did take it for a road test today, it felt fine even at highway speeds.
Looking into this made me conclude that the stock wheels were hub and lug centric, maybe it will be ok as it is.
I should have a reply from Moser when business hours start back up tomorrow.

I can't quickly find a picture of the Alloy USA axles. I swapped it all out for a Moser 9" several years ago. looking back on pictures of that though, the axle hub doesn't stick out far enough to engage the wheels on that one either. For all these years with all the power I am putting though them, mine are just centered using the studs.

72D7C36A-D937-4CFF-BE0B-1A19A05672EF_zpsscftenb7.jpg

They are the Weld GTS s71's. You can get them in any size and back spacing you want! Black or Polished.

They look great on the jeeps..

I am very happy Weld came out with these. Much cheaper than a set of Fikse FM5's and they look as good too!

Nitto nt555r drag radials are good tires.

for what its worth, when the 20's are on, i have spacers in the back that dont have the extension on them that goes into the rim either. i however have never gone to the strip with the 20's on

I got a reply from Moser and they simply stated they have never used a longer hub.
They said the hub is for centering the rotor (or drum) and they don't want the hub to interfere with the wheel.
Also they said use them with confidence as they have used short hubs on every axle they produced.

I will take their advice and use them as is. After all I did road test it and it felt fine.

Back