How to: - PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: PTU Oil Change (Tons of Pics) 2016 Explorer Sport

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I changed the PTU oil a couple weeks ago using this method, and i had a really hard time getting the new oil to flow in through the vent tube. Well, i had an idea i tried today when i changed it again. Go to your local farm supply store (TSC, Rurual King, whatever) and get a 60cc syringe with a catheter tip. Granted, it only holds 2 oz, so youll have to fill it a few times, but it worked like a dream! Just remember you pressurize the PTU when you force fluid in. Work the plunger back and forth a couple times so the vent line is empty when it burps.

Also, a big thanks to the OP for posting this thread and for all the pics too!

33763613_2006566622696273_7501921283165126656_n.jpg

33817069_2006578702695065_8073460952135106560_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doing mine right now. Just waiting around for these damn burps.... Lol

15275494527257681218390205878366.jpg

Doing mine right now. Just waiting around for these damn burps.... Lol

View attachment 159445

Last time I did it I just put the bottle nozzle right in the tube and squeezed hard. Did 2-4 oz at a time. Worked well. Just be aware that it pressurized the crank case so it’ll burp a little out.

Hard to picture but I have a funnel that my fuel line hose will fit in and seal around circumference of the hose. Any burps are caught by the funnel.

I'm doing the same, But I haven't had a burp in sometime now. I might have to switch to forcing it in if nothing happens here

I'm doing the same, But I haven't had a burp in sometime now. I might have to switch to forcing it in if nothing happens here
Don’t worry about burps if it isn’t burping (and your hose is still attached at the PTU nipple). Try cramming another couple ounces in

Finally all done!
Thanks so much for the write up :chug:

Ahh, see... thats the beauty of using the syringe. After you force in a couple ounces, work the syringe a couple times to get all the fluid down the hose. That way when it burps, its just air coming back out. Refill your syringe and repeat the process. This one holds 2 oz, so i did 6 syringes full and knew i had put in 12 oz. It took maybe 5 mins to refill, and no mess

Ahh, see... thats the beauty of using the syringe. After you force in a couple ounces, work the syringe a couple times to get all the fluid down the hose. That way when it burps, its just air coming back out. Refill your syringe and repeat the process. This one holds 2 oz, so i did 6 syringes full and knew i had put in 12 oz. It took maybe 5 mins to refill, and no mess

I'll definitely try that next time

Trans flush after 65k

IMG_20180529_123156.jpg

Ahhhh, I'm disappointed but never shocked. I have my 2016 Sport in at the dealer for the carbon monoxide fix and a few other little things as the warranty is about to expire, and I asked them to replace the PTU fluid. The service advisor just called to say that "it's a sealed unit and the fluid can't be changed." Sigh...

I told them to forget about it, knowing it's a losing battle with that dealer.

I climbed under my 2016 XLT (Build date 18.06.2015)
It has a 3/8" fill(?) plug, not a hex plug.

I found it easier to remove the side fill plug and once it overflows out, you’re all filled up. I use tubing through the nipple at the top of the PTU to fill. Seems to take about 17 ounces that way.

I found it easier to remove the side fill plug and once it overflows out, you’re all filled up. I use tubing through the nipple at the top of the PTU to fill. Seems to take about 17 ounces that way.
What year model Explorer do you have? I'm not aware of a side fill bolt. I just did mine this weekend it was a pain in the ass

Does anyone have any tips on how to tighten a hose on ptu nipple hose? I assume a hose clamp was used what kind of tool was used to tighten?

What year model Explorer do you have? I'm not aware of a side fill bolt. I just did mine this weekend it was a pain in the ass
It shows a 2014 Sport in the margin.:)

Peter

1/4" micro ratchet also a thumb ratchet works as well

I haven't seen the one with the fill plug, but I assume it would be in place of the temp sensor on the PIUs.

Temp sensor on PIUs is under the metal shield in below pic.
48C42C89-9312-4FD0-B459-B5DA65E3D687_zpsx2xmbngt.jpg

My 2014 Sport is at the dealership having some work done. I'm only at 29,000 miles, but asked about having the PTU oil changed. Service guy went to talk to the manager, came back and said they only recommended it at 30,000 miles for vehicles that tow a lot, otherwise wait until 60,000 miles. I asked the price - he didn't know, but said it would probably be "a few hundred dollars." Looks like I'll have to give this a try myself!

My 2014 Sport is at the dealership having some work done. I'm only at 29,000 miles, but asked about having the PTU oil changed. Service guy went to talk to the manager, came back and said they only recommended it at 30,000 miles for vehicles that tow a lot, otherwise wait until 60,000 miles. I asked the price - he didn't know, but said it would probably be "a few hundred dollars." Looks like I'll have to give this a try myself!

Easy task as long as you have the right tools and a drain plug is already installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well at 60,000 miles your warranty expires and the PTU replacement is totally on you, very profitable for the dealer versus doing it as a warranty repair. Our 2017 2.3 EB has a drain plug and easy to access fill plug. I had it changed at 9,000 miles at the dealer. They charged $88 for labor and $22 for the Motorcraft 75W-140 gear oil, a total of $110. At 22,425 miles I had my indie mechanic change it again using Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140. The labor cost me $30 and the Amsoil was $16, a total of $46. But again our 2017 has a drain plug and no temp sensor so it's easy to change. Being a 2.3 EB I don't have the exhaust heat on the PTU which helps versus the 3.5's where the exhaust bakes the PTU fluid. I watched when they drained the dealer replacement fluid after 11,000 miles of use and it was still golden and flowed easily. I've read horror stories and saw Utubes of destroyed PTU's due to lack of more frequent fluid changes. They don't hold much gear oil and the 3.5's are exposed to extra heat, a bad combination.
Whimsey

Back