2020 Explorer PIU | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer PIU

We'll see. Interior volume increase doesn't necessarily mean cargo volume increase.

Ford has already stated that Cargo has increased in the PIU so Id expect that to carry over to the civilian.

I think they are achieving this by reducing the side panels that have been complaints since the 5th gen launch. The doors are way to wide and ackward. It is hard to reach out at a drive thru or atm. The rear panels in the rear stick out a lot as well. Reducing them allows for widening the interior. Plus unifficial specs from insiders have told me it is a little longer and a little wider (exterior dimensions) but also a little flatter which we see now by the roofline.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hope 3:73 axle & 10 spd trans with 400+HP dual turbo engine is available when order guide is released.
Should make for a fun ride with a recalibration of the pcm :)
Anyone know when order guide will be released

hope 3:73 axle & 10 spd trans with 400+HP dual turbo engine is available when order guide is released.
Should make for a fun ride with a recalibration of the pcm :)
Anyone know when order guide will be released
'Search' and ye shall find, sometimes. 2020 PIU Order Guide

Peter

Yup
That si what I am looking for
anyone with any inside info when it will be released?

Will be interesting seeing these come out and the civilian versions w RWD coming back.

LA County Sheriff's Car Test is next week at AutoClub Speedway in Ontario CA. I will post some picks of the new Explorer if its there.

Just back from LA County Sheriffs Vehicle testing at Auto Club Speedway in Pomona CA.

Saw the new 2020 PI Utility, it was under heavy camo and I asked if it was OK to take pics since everyone else already was and the Ford people had no issues. Apparently official debut for both PIU and Explorer retail will be January in Detroit at International Auto Show.

REMEMBER this is not the retail final production it is a prototype PIU, some things will carry over and some will not. The headlights look very bright, all lighting is LED. The interior was completely covered the drivers could only see the speedometer and shifter, that's it. PIU exhaust note is very nice, hope it carries to the ST. Standard rear bumper protector, the wheel trim on fenders feels more rubber-like then hard plastic we have now. rear glass has aero fins.

I love the new "hunkered down" look from the angled third-row glass, it has a much more aggressive stance and look. The nice thing is our winter tire/wheel combos will still fit even if we trade up.

Ford Explorer #2.jpg
Ford Explorer #3.jpg
Ford Explorer #4.jpg

I work at detroit thermal where they build the HVAC units and the new line is built and waiting for the explorer to leave the D-car platform .... periodically they move the people over for a day and have them build the HVAC's for the 6th gens... after reading this thread those must have been PIU's and pre-builds ...... bonus content the P375 ranger HVAC's have been a nightmare so far.... they whine,click,bang,thump and hiss

Correct, it is more like a refresh but on the cd6 platform. I have said it before and will say it again, it is more of an evoltuion keeping the explorer looks then revolutionary. It was never said it was going to ve completely redone exterior wise.. it is staying with current Explorer ques. Also, if you look at the rear end, you can see the rear diff and rear diff bolts (rwd). It is the 2020MY and is the finished PIU product.

View attachment 161956
The bumper and exhaust seems to be slightly different in the retail model.

Clip_2.jpg

Nice to see them in the sun and not far off from the full reveal at the Detroit show.

Aviator debuts on the 28th.. I am more excited about that one.

b465cef2476f5f462b27bb39d67f3de8.jpg

You can definitely see how the roof has a rake like the Aviator.

I believe that is the retail model based on the rear bumper/exhaust configuration.

I believe that is the retail model based on the rear bumper/exhaust configuration.

Nope, PIU. It has the built in emergency lights above the license plate and the spot light on the A Pillar. The exhaust is a turn down style as well at the tip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, PIU. It has the built in emergency lights above the license plate and the spot light on the A Pillar. The exhaust is a turn down style as well at the tip.
I see the emergency lights now that you mentioned it but I thought the bumper/exhaust setup looked more like the pic in post #94 that the one in #92.

Peter

Back