Need Transmission Help | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Transmission Help

Thank you, I will try again tomorrow -as of today I could not get the cooler inlets to line up to the connectors on the line.
They moved back and away from the openings. The trans. cooler in the rad. moves a whole lot.
Dont think much was done in the way of service on this truck.

How did you remove lines? They can be challenging to get out of the cooler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That was the easiest part -I just unscrewed them from the housing of the radiator.
I was not able to get the line connectors off but did order this off Amazon:
OTC 6593 Transmission Disconnect Set for Ford

How did you remove lines? They can be challenging to get out of the cooler.

Thats cool.
I cut an old plastic dvd cover into 1/4 strip, and wedge plastic strip between line and coulper and the fitting will pop off.

More to come tomorrow :) I will for now do the pan drain and fill with a new oem filter. Need to get her running soon.
I ordered the Spectra Premium FordTechMakuloco recommends just in case.
Not feeling very good about that cooler being completely lose and I was unable to reinstall those cooler lines.
When I took the lines off I saw a larger rubber o ring that was there but couldn't find from where it come exactly.
Have a great night. Reply anytime I always check my emails. Thank you again for the great tips!

Thats cool.
I cut an old plastic dvd cover into 1/4 strip, and wedge plastic strip between line and coulper and the fitting will pop off.

Unscrewing both of the nut fittings from the radiator explains why they wiggle inside the cooler now. I know it/s not easy, but it's better to disconnect just the lines out of the fittings. Let us know how you fish them back and screw it back all together.

Unscrewing both of the nut fittings from the radiator explains why they wiggle inside the cooler now. I know it/s not easy, but it's better to disconnect just the lines out of the fittings. Let us know how you fish them back and screw it back all together.
I wish I could have but I was unable to remove the lines from the fitting.

I was able to get the fittings off. The fancy disconnect tools I first got from HFT did not work at all. Instead I used the ones seen below which is all plastic and $5+.
(Image Attached)
Worked like a charm with some sweet talk to the fittings. It does appear these fittings have only 1 o-ring is this the oem design?
How should I clean the female fittings inside the cooler? Can I spray brake cleaner?

#2. Took the drained trans. pan off this morning only to find out that the filter I got from Advance Auto Parts was the wrong style.
Also the original gasket was not in great shape, I will have to order a new oem one since the ones at Advance Auto Parts are all rubber and not in stock.
So back to the drawing board. Any harm in leaving the trans. pan off for a few days while I wait for parts? Car is in our driveway.

IMG_9923.JPG

Update/Cross posted:
Thank you all. I just did the same thing but my gasket was not reusable. Had small pieces of the inner rubber (black) coming off. I put in 5 qts. of SP before it got dark but i am sure it will need more. Everyone else's seems to have gone up to 7 qts.
Can I leave just the little yellow dipstick while it warms up or do i need do put the metal plug back on every-time while it warms up and I check the level?

Tip: Buy the motocraft filter, the one I got from Advanced Auto Parts was the wrong one.
#2 -check the cooler lines, mine were both leaking, seems the radiator was aftermarket and the Dorman 800-621 connectors were too deep.
Took the advice of one of the smart fellas here and installed new o-rings all around on the existing fittings .

More to come tomorrow.

I didn't put the metal plug back when I was checking the level. I also filled the last 3 Qts of the ATF while the car was on. It got hot pretty fast LOL. I used like 8 Qts when I did my trans 3 months ago.

Thank you. I was afraid of over filling hoping to go 7 tomorrow. It sure gets hot I already burnt my hand on it :(
I didn't put the metal plug back when I was checking the level. I also filled the last 3 Qts of the ATF while the car was on. It got hot pretty fast LOL. I used like 8 Qts when I did my trans 3 months ago.

Hi Guys
Here is an update. I put the stuff in the transmission. It still acts up. If it’s cold outside to does not want to go in gear. I been reading on these transmission. I read the valve body gasket goes bad or the solenoid pack goes bad. Should I try those before I buy a different transmission. What is your guys thoughts?

Thank you

Unfortunately, I don't know anything more about transmissions other than how to change the fluid and filter, and that is what worked for me. I hate to say it, but with 260k on your transmission, you may want to cut your losses before sinking too much time an money on it in repairs. Hope all works out good.

Hi Guys
Here is an update. Last Friday I went to a pick and pull and got a transmission for my 06 Explorer. I got a good deal. The transmission I got is a remanufactured one. The owner of the pick and pull said the transmission was put in right before it was wreck. I got the transmission for a $100.00. I got it installed in my explorer over the weekend. My explorer is doing good now. I did find out my front driveshaft is missing. I don’t know how long it’s been gone. I got another driveshaft. I started to install the driveshaft today and the bolts for the yoke stopped half way in. I tried to take them back out and 2 broke off. I found out I can just replace the yoke. Does anyone know if the yoke is pressed in or not? I see the big nut inside the yoke. I rather just replace the yoke.

Thank you.

Back