What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 84 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

I'm on a roll lately - also put new spark plugs in it, in preparation for a tune. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was able to get into FORSCAN and get one major item that SHOULD be set from the factory. Programmed the SECURE IDLE feature. This should have been set from the factory as a matter of BASIC common sense and security/anti theft protocols. What secure idle does if your not familiar is programs the shift interlock to NOT ALLOW gear selector lever to come out of Park. UNLESS THE KEY FOB is in the vehicle. Current programming will allow gear to be shifted out of park and vehicle to move even with key fob out of vehicle as long as engine is running. That was the major feature I was looking to set. I also added a duplicate heated seat/steering wheel display to the SYNC 3 screen. That was more of a test to see if my programming changes worked without getting too involved with major components like secure idle or a setting that could cause damage.

While I can see some logic behind that, I wonder why anyone would leave their vehicle running while it is unattended and unlocked? Will Secure Idle prevent the use of the manual Brake-Shift Interlock Override procedure that is described in the Owner's Manual?

Peter

Leaving unattended and running is well admit we have all done it. I was in the snow belt and before IA key access systems I occasionally carried both keys. One to leave running if extremely cold and one to open door. Yes locking door is the key but still we all have our blonde/senior moments and forget to lock the doors. Either way programming complete and secure idle active.

......... Yes locking door is the key but still we all have our blonde/senior moments and forget to lock the doors.
That is why there is the double horn honk.:) What about the Brake-Shift Interlock Override question? Curious about that or haven't you tested that yet?

Peter

Have not tested the brake shift interlock yet.

I did program the lane change function for turn signals to seven flashes instead of three. I thought three was kind of weak and figured there had to be a way to change it.

I also programmed a timer function on the heated steering wheel to 15 minutes. DEFAULT is DISABLED so manual off/on. I think you can go all the way to thirty minutes I took 15.

NOTE THE DOOR AJAR COLOR is not what you think. I initially believed it to be the color of the ambient lighting of the scuff plate in the door well. I thought it was changing that from Blue to whatever color. Read it closely...DOOR AJAR COLOR DEFAULT RED. That is the door open warning indicator on the instrument cluster. Definitely want to keep that RED.

I am still working the bulb fail detection for LED bulbs to avoid the hyper flash without resistors.

• Received 5" Breast Cancer Awareness window decal from Amazon
  • Placed order with Dave @ Livernois

I stopped by Livernois today and picked up a tuner, 3-bar MAP, and their cold air intake. Now to find time to install!

NOTE THE DOOR AJAR COLOR is not what you think. I initially believed it to be the color of the ambient lighting of the scuff plate in the door well. I thought it was changing that from Blue to whatever color. Read it closely...DOOR AJAR COLOR DEFAULT RED. That is the door open warning indicator on the instrument cluster. Definitely want to keep that RED.

Door Ajar color is the color of the ambient light(s) in the specific door that is open. Test it when the engine is running and open a door.

Door Ajar color is the color of the ambient light(s) in the specific door that is open. Test it when the engine is running and open a door.
I just did. My ambient lighting is 'Ice Blue' and the Door Ajar warning was RED.

Peter

Cold Air Intake (Livernois Windstorm rebranded Airraid), and 3-Bar MAP installed.

IMG_3581.JPG

Cold Air Intake (Livernois Windstorm rebranded Airraid), and 3-Bar MAP installed.

Curious how it sounds in cabin with the Borla exhaust. My Volvo S60R had DP and exhaust replacement, resonator delete, and while I loved it, at times I wished it was quieter in the cabin. So for the ExSport, going for sleeper components that don't draw attention via noise.

Why the exhaust anyway? Do these vehicles have a constriction point in the stock exhaust after downpipe?

I just did. My ambient lighting is 'Ice Blue' and the Door Ajar warning was RED.

Peter
Yes, RED is the default color. What I meant was that this is the light that you can change in ForScan for door ajar light color. This feature has been implemented in newer Ford models, 2016+ for the Explorer. And 2015+ Edge. Unfortunately for my Edge, it only works when the engine is running (or ignition on), so the door ajar color doesn't change when you're turning off the car & exiting. Would have been cooler .

Curious how it sounds in cabin with the Borla exhaust. My Volvo S60R had DP and exhaust replacement, resonator delete, and while I loved it, at times I wished it was quieter in the cabin. So for the ExSport, going for sleeper components that don't draw attention via noise.

Why the exhaust anyway? Do these vehicles have a constriction point in the stock exhaust after downpipe?

With the CAI and Borla, it sounds great to me. I hear a nice growl any time I get on the gas, but it goes quite tame, pretty much like stock, when I'm just cruising at a set speed. I haven't done downpipes (likely won't), I've read that can really make things louder.

I was told that the Explorer Sport stock exhaust is fairly restrictive, even moreso than the Taurus SHO. Supposedly it's worth 10hp or so to swap it to a less restrictive one. Note, however, I was told that by a salesman trying to sell me a Corsa cat-back system, so take it with a grain of salt. I did it primarily for the sound. It did seem peppier after the exhaust install, but it could have just felt that way due to the growl. :)

I can tell ya'll one thing you shouldn't do: straight piping. I did.... and the droning increased.... substantially. I've now put in a Magnapack but at cruising speed the droning is still too much. Not sure yet what I am going to do about it, because other than the droning it sounds fantastic and it even crackles on downshifts!

I was told that the Explorer Sport stock exhaust is fairly restrictive, even moreso than the Taurus SHO. Supposedly it's worth 10hp or so to swap it to a less restrictive one. Note, however, I was told that by a salesman trying to sell me a Corsa cat-back system, so take it with a grain of salt. I did it primarily for the sound. It did seem peppier after the exhaust install, but it could have just felt that way due to the growl. :)

Improving exhaust flow should allow turbo to spool faster. As laggy as stock ExSport is, I'll have to keep downpipe and exhaust in mind if there's still too much throttle delay after tune.

I can tell ya'll one thing you shouldn't do: straight piping. I did.... and the droning increased.... substantially. I've now put in a Magnapack but at cruising speed the droning is still too much. Not sure yet what I am going to do about it, because other than the droning it sounds fantastic and it even crackles on downshifts!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clay bar treatment smooth now and paint seems to be popping more. Strongly recommend if you have any rough spots.

8A55D4C8-5167-4714-A5B4-9F6C56789C65.jpg

62674F6A-C591-4C1B-B123-D9A31FF733C5.jpg
How hard was it to clay bar? Mines all black and I'm really nervous to do it and ruin the paint. Any tips?

Back