Outside Temperature in Instrument Cluster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Outside Temperature in Instrument Cluster

Jazzphone

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Hi Everyone!

Quick question, we just purchased a 2018 Explorer Limited and on our Previous fords with Sync 3 (Currently own a Fusion and previously had an Escape), the Outside temperature was show in the instrument cluster.

This was on the screen to the right of the speedometer, next to the compass. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to enable this.

The only place I can view the temperature is on the Home screen of the Main Display at the top, next to the clock.

Thanks ahead of time.

Here are 2 examples.

Ford Fusion with Temp
free-ford-fusion-at-ford-fusion-se-ecoboost-instrument-cluster.jpg

Ford Explorer without Temp
new-2018-ford-explorer-xlt4wd-6035-17315122-27-1024.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
My 2017 with the type 3 display, also only shows the outside temperature on the Sync 3 screen. I believe that is normal. In cjhecking the Owner's Manual, there is no mention of an outside temperature display in the type 1,2 or 3 Instrument Display Clusters.

Peter

I think you are right. Just strange that this is not there! We use CarPlay a lot so the Home screen of Sync is almost never visible, so it was nice having it on the dash.

I completely share your frustration on this. We also have a '17 Fusion and '17 Explorer and I've often wished Ford had placed the outside temp on the center cluster on the Explorer. We use CarPlay about 75% of the time in both vehicles, so I often don't have that quick view on that car. I also looked through FORScan at one point and never found anything related to that, so we're out of luck.

One sorta-lame workaround: ask Siri what the outside temp is.

The other crazy thing...before the 2016 facelift, the previous explorers had the temp there as well.... Here is a 2015

16.jpg

It is a FORSCAN setting. It takes a bit but is possible.

It is a FORSCAN setting. It takes a bit but is possible.

Aha, I do see something there now on the FORScan spreadsheet. Worth a try. Have you tried it and gotten it to work? Where does it show up?

YES AND YES. Right hand instrument cluster screen...….Immediately left of the Compass. Also enabled the Climate option in the same RH cluster. Different setting but same result.

YES AND YES. Right hand instrument cluster screen...….Immediately left of the Compass. Also enabled the Climate option in the same RH cluster. Different setting but same result.

Great news! I see you have the Sport. I've got the Platinum which has the two large dials in the cluster as opposed to just the one. I wonder where it would show up in that configuration. One way to find out - I'll try it.

The OAT display in the IPS is one of those base settings that if your new this cold be one of the test settings. I say that because if you do that wrong and don't affect any other modules and enter wrong digit you just don't get the display. If you enter a wrong digit it should tell you incorrect field. If you re enter the original programming code for Disabled) it should say memory block programmed successfully turn ignition OFF then on again. Try again. I went with the heated seat steering wheel duplicate display, IPC OAT display FIRST. Then I moved on to the lane change flash rate, Stereo extended play.

TYPE 3 IPC Not sure read the spread sheet for IPC TYPE 3 I used type 2..Good luck

DOES NOT Show programming code for the type cluster.

Appears to be a trade off. Type 2 clusters (single analog speedometer and LCD on each side) have the ability to program OAT in the instrument panel. Type 3 (Platinum) digitalis have a Frost alert setting. Basically if below. 32F a warning for potential frost and icing conditions. Doesn’t sound like you can have both indicators for each type cluster.

Frost warning setting is unconfirmed at this time and will require a Platinum model type 3 IPC, change the frost warning to Enable and verify. A little early in the year but if anyone has a Platinum and can test this setting then please speak up when it does get below 32F and warning light activated.

Ordering tool now!!! This is great. Thanks everyone

Appears to be a trade off. Type 2 clusters (single analog speedometer and LCD on each side) have the ability to program OAT in the instrument panel. Type 3 (Platinum) digitalis have a Frost alert setting. Basically if below. 32F a warning for potential frost and icing conditions. Doesn’t sound like you can have both indicators for each type cluster.

Frost warning setting is unconfirmed at this time and will require a Platinum model type 3 IPC, change the frost warning to Enable and verify. A little early in the year but if anyone has a Platinum and can test this setting then please speak up when it does get below 32F and warning light activated.
I think that frost feature warning light would be a little annoying here since pretty much all of the temps are below 32 F (0 C) during Winter here.;)

Peter

Gotta love Same day shipping with Amazon. Tool came in and I modified the value and to my eyes!!! Outside Temp in the gauge cluster.

I also added the Climate control in the IPC for the Explorer and went back and added that to the Fusion as well. Pretty sweet for a $15 cable.

Glad it worked. I did not have luck with the ELM cable but had decent luck on the OBDLINK MX Wi-Fi connection. Did you play around with the flasher settings to change the lane change from three flashes to seven? Speaking of climate control, there is a setting for a couple of fairly nice convenience items. 1. Heated steering wheel time out I set mine to 15 minutes but you can go I believe up to 30. I didn't change it but there is also a setting for heated seats heat level upper temperature limit, I believe independent of the 3 button heat level on the display. I did one more and got the heated steering wheel and heated A/C seats as a duplicate digital display on the SYNC3 screen in addition to the physical button for seats on the center stack. That was more of a test setting to make small changes in the menu before I went onto the big modules like the Secure Idle and fog lights with high beams. The F-150 programming spreadsheet literally calls it the "Bambi Mode" as in deer in the headlights.

What menu I really wish could find again is the IPC trip computer mileage. I can't speak for Explorers but pre 2014 and some very early build 2014 models had a display in the fuel gauge that calculated and displayed the "Gallons Used" My preference would have been a countdown fuel gauge but the gallons used was close. The preference would be example 19.0 gallon tank you fill up maybe have a small overage margin example 19.5. As you drive the gauge should go 19.5. 19.0 18.5 18.0 etc... This would not replace the digital fuel gauge but supplement.

There is a stereo extended play 20 or 30 minutes (North American models) This basically gives extend play when ignition is off. Tailgate party anyone??

Gotta love Same day shipping with Amazon. Tool came in and I modified the value and to my eyes!!! Outside Temp in the gauge cluster.

I also added the Climate control in the IPC for the Explorer and went back and added that to the Fusion as well. Pretty sweet for a $15 cable.

Can you post pictures of your results? Mainly the climate control part. Not sure exactly what you're talking about but I'm very curious.

Also as someone who has no idea about this forscan thing, is it a fairly easy learning curve? Mainly as far as screwing things up and the likelihood of that happening.

The FORSCAN may be a easy curve but very much Attention To Detail as in many lines run many digits close together. and the wrong digit or letter change in the wrong line of code could have disastrous results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use Car Play and Android Auto all the time. When I want to know the temperature outside I hit the button on the steering wheel and ask Siri or what ever Android use what is the current outside temp. They both give me an answer. Siri will say burr it is 23 degrees, Android just says it is 23 degrees.

Back