• Register Today It's free!

98 mountaineer no start issue

prtfreak

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer; JP13
Hey everyone, I have a 98 Mountaineer that's been sitting a little while. I got into an accident a few years ago and got a secondary vehicle while ive been putting everything back in order. The issue im having is I get no crank no start. Now normally I know an issue like this is more commonly the crank sensor or dead starter I did already take the starter off and bench tested it 3 times. The battery is also fine, it isn't an issue of low power. When I turn the key I have all normal lights that come one but nothing cuts out like it normally does. I took a power probe that I borrowed from an ex coworker and started touching wires/terminals to the starter. When I touched the power probe to the constant power terminal it checked out fine. When I touched it to the side with fusible link from the igniton switch side it buzzed as if it was being grounded out. the wires kind of disappear into the abyss so its a bit hard to trace. Rain is seeping in from the console mounted on the headliner so I figured maybe it is because of that but I am just at a loss as where to start looking for the issue. Thank you in advance for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does the starter relay in the power distribution box under the hood click when you turn the key?.
I already tried switching 2 relays of the same kind and nothing changed.

The starter solenoid is mounted physically to the starter which tested fine.

I was thinking about the one mounted on the inner fender, some call it a starter switch.

I already tried switching 2 relays of the same kind and nothing changed.

Doesn't answer the question. Does the relay click when you turn the key?

I was thinking about the one mounted on the inner fender, some call it a starter switch.

98 up does not have that.

OP prtfreak,

With the battery fully charged, turn the headlights on.

Get someone to crank over the key while you're watching the headlights.

If the headlights dim while the key is turned, you are getting juice all the way to the starter solenoid.

If the headlights do not dim, you have a short/open circuit/bad relay somewhere.

Hope that helps and report back!

Back