The Black Pearl SAS and build | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well now that Im Elite i figured Id start a thread to document my SAS build...

100_1653.JPG

5060.JPG

0414170712~2.jpg

0906171907.jpg

1027171821.jpg

1027171926.jpg

1027171946.jpg

Screenshot_2017-05-07-23-03-06.png

Screenshot_2017-09-11-23-25-57.png

0910171104.jpg

0910171147.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got a little welding done on the passenger side of the frame tonight. starting to get pretty good at welding, as you can see at the bottom of the picture my son Jacob (the professional welder) explains what welders do at work to have fun with other welders (as he starts to rock and bounce the truck)

1011181857.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

a little update...

I screwed up on the frame. the rollers i have on my rig have a slow leak on the front right tire, didnt think about it while plating the frame.

I jacked up the dana 44 on that side and leveled it out using the front frame crossmember thats welded under the radiator.

the passenger plated frame is perfectly straight. BUT the drivers side 3/8 angle iron (to mount the winch plate to) is kicked up 3 degrees. doesnt seem like that much but it is a conciderable amount when you are trying to bolt a flat winch plate to it.

I am thinking the only thing to do is unbolt the angle iron and notch the inside angle, bend it down and reweld the notch.

Well I think that worked. Its dead on or really really close. Didn't have the motivation to get the passenger winch mount drilled out. That will be the goal for tomorrow.

Work has been crap for the past three days. If I didn't have a guarantee at work I would have left for the day and worked on the truck all day

1015181813.jpg

1015181819.jpg

@gmanpaint

What do you think? Pirate hook????

1015182118.jpg

And I think this flag is going to happen

Screenshot_2018-10-15-21-30-06.png

Should be able to get the winch mounted tonight. At least that is the plan. Maybe the front bumper too.

I was going to order the rest of the trac-bar parts, and the rest of the steering stuff but with the way work is going this week I will be using my guarantee so whatever I can do with the truck that isn't going to cost anything I will try and do til things pickup at work.

I think that's going to work.

Just need get a new battery or two and see how well it works

1016182141.jpg

1016182141a.jpg

I see the remote outlet back there somewhere :shifty:

Cut the grill...cut the grill......cut...cut...cut!!!

:bounce:

Not happening. I little trimming behind the lower trim piece to keep from rubbing on the box, build a little bracket and it should be good to go.

Thanks. Thinking I am going to take that 3/8 plate, and build some verticals for the tube bumper (from the frame, to the top two tubes)

Anyone have a good write-up on wiring an in-cab winch remote to a Warn 5-pin (GEN1 VR-10000)?

Most write ups I have seen are for the older 3 wire.

This is $30, painless switch, and works with both 3&5 wire while retaining your stock remote function.

Dash Mounted Winch Control

The hassle of gathering everything you need, using a hokey switch, etc... This isn't a ton of cash for a pre-wired switch with an alum plate, that can fit on the 1st gen dash 4x4 case switch area. You aren't using it anyways, so this works well.

There are wireless kits out there for not much more as well.

This weekend i am going to try and get that remote outlet mounted, plugged it in last night and it seems to be a pretty good spot. easy to get to and out of the way.

Thinking i am going to re-do my center console switch panel too while im adding the in-cab controls too. Still need to get everything run to the OBA too

Go a little work done tonight.

I am holding off on the Winch controls until I get another battery. The red top I had decided to stop taking a charge at 95% (10 amp, it was completely dead) and started to get hot and off-gas while we were working in the shop.

So we worked on the Winch bumper. Got some 3/8 plate cut out. Half of a cut/grind blade, one grinder and a diamond cut off wheel later we had the plates cut out.

I might change it up later, I feel like another piece of plate on the inside of the frame would be a good idea.

The bumper is not going to be a tow point (that's what the shackles are for) so the only thing I think I will be worried about is bashing it on rocks. But adding plate to the inside will require a new winch plate with no holes to mount to the frame as they will be 1/4 or 3/8 inboard if plate is added

1021180224.jpg

Can you add the other plate or sq tube, to the top of the frame extensions to the inside edge, for more support?

That's kinda was I was thinking. I also wanted to fill that space with something, pod light maybe.

That's been a big thing I have been thinking about, that big gap between the bumper and the frame due to the body lift

Back