03 lincoln aviator | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

Got all my vortech parts that im not gonna use together today..took them down to my work and media blasted them all..there is a guy thats been trying to buy them off me for awile now, i honestly dont know what they sell for used but new its probably close to $800 in parts..i told him $400 shipped.

Gota talk to Ron tomorrow about the heads,he's planning to check and shim the springs so they all are within spec..i also just found you should check your lash adjuster "lash" and shim them if they are out of spec..

I know the springs and lash adjuster have never been checked..even though mine are new in the current heads im probably going to have him clean the ones he got with the heads and shim them if needed..i dont really have time to do that ,im trying to switch heads in one weekend..to check 32 lash adjuster and shim them would take hours..

20180923_185044.jpg
20180923_183701.jpg
Screenshot_2018-09-21-13-31-43.png

^^ dont know why that looks blurry,looks fine in my gallery. .

Screenshot_2018-09-21-13-31-43.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They sent the wrong damn heads..im PISSED..they sent 03 mustang "da" and "ag" cast...waiting to hear back from them..Ron is not happy he has time wrapped up in them already. .
The head i currently have are DB and a newer version than what they even sent me...

Dc is the last revision and the frrp

Ok so junkyard has offered to ship back and refund my money but Ron has offered to buy them from me for what i paid, $436..he said he has the guides out and them apart so putting them back together wouldnt be worth his time..siad would be better for him to go ahead and but them from me to fix all up to sell..so i agreed. .it also saved the junkyard shipping cost so they were thankful, they had really good support by the way..

I then found a true set of 04 DC heads not far away from Ron at fox lake Ohio..the best part i got pictures and they were $280 shipped..so i saved like $156..i seriously cant believe i found DC cast 4.6 4v heads for $100 a piece, thats CRAZY..they sell for like $800-1200 for a set....

So hopefully they are good and should be there friday...if not my boy just pulled at set from the local junkyard so

image1.jpeg

Nice find, let's hope the patience/time is rewarded this time.

Which Aviator heads are worth the trouble to get? I have one in my local P-A-P, I forgot which year though. I don't need any of it, but it'd be interesting to go see one. I wanted one when they came out.

Nice find, let's hope the patience/time is rewarded this time.

Which Aviator heads are worth the trouble to get? I have one in my local P-A-P, I forgot which year though. I don't need any of it, but it'd be interesting to go see one. I wanted one when they came out.
Late 04-05 DC cast is the last revised 4.6 head made..03 to early 04 have DB which is the 3rd revision and many had no issues but i did..i would only get them if cast number ended in ""DC"" like pictured above..best to look for 05 aviator
@boominXplorer has a set if you really want the best they made..

Yup I've got a set. Picked them up when JD still needed a set and now they'll go on the shelf.

20180926_132735.jpg

20180926_132759.jpg

So the guy at the junkyard personally delivered the heads last friday..talked to Ron Tuesday and he said they look good..had already pulled both apart but not guides or anything till he heard from me..

He had a set of new springs that another customer ended up changing to a different spring so he sold them to me and going to shim them up alittle to increase the spring pressure some..im running stock cams so dont need different springs right now and the custom cams im looking to have made also work with stock..the added pressure will help with the added 18psi from boost and the newer cams.

I did decide to use my new lash adjuster i have in the current heads, he said the heads had oil stains so wouldnt suggest reusing the ones that are in those heads..soooo im going to have to bleed all my "newish" ones down and check lash, i need to get some shims..

He should have them done in about a week or so he said, more than likely he'll post a video on his fb of them in the cnc..lol

I just hope this fixes it otherwise i just dropped about $2800 for nothing AGAIN and im not ready to have to redo the block nor do i have a spare block..this ones been bored .030 over so id need a new block,rings and bearings. .

That's promising, I hope those solve it all.

BTW, how far can the modular blocks be bored, is .030" about the limit?

That's promising, I hope those solve it all.

BTW, how far can the modular blocks be bored, is .030" about the limit?
With lots of boost you wanna stay stock or as close as possible. .think they can go .050 but no one ever really goes over. 030 with a 3.75 stroker like i got that gives you 5.0 any bigger and they typically sleeve it.

If i used arp hardware instead of tty my setup should support 1000 rwhp..i dont plan over 600 so tty will hold that no issues. .people push 20+psi with tty head bolts..typically over 25 they lift

Fox lake power products

They are done..ill post some pics of the ports when i get them..and mann they were crusty..flowed 329/269 @.550

Fb pics those that dont have it..
Screenshot_2018-10-18-14-55-35.png
FB_IMG_1539888794340.jpg
FB_IMG_1539888782460.jpg
FB_IMG_1539888461526.jpg
FB_IMG_1539888458390.jpg
FB_IMG_1539888454994.jpg

That's great airflow, I hope those are the answer. That kind of airflow in a SBF head costs about $2500 a pair, that's good company and can produce 500-600hp easily.

That's great airflow, I hope those are the answer. That kind of airflow in a SBF head costs about $2500 a pair, that's good company and can produce 500-600hp easily.
Im at $2,532 including the heads and shipping..these will handle any power you can throw at them, people run these heads on motors making 2,500+ hp..

Na i should make around 400ish rwhp and at 18lbs should make around 650+ish

Okay, I won't feel so bad getting the TFS high ports then. If it works for you, I'm game.

Okay, I won't feel so bad getting the TFS high ports then. If it works for you, I'm game.
These are 4v DC heads though and been CNC ported out

Yeah, I presumed they were ported some amount, 300cfm is a big number for any intake port. Stock 302 heads(GT40) are in the 190-200cfm range, ported they might see 225cfm or so. Most aftermarket SBF heads range in the 240-260cfm range, the newer $1500 stuff is around 275cfm I think. Stock 351 Cleveland 4V heads flow near 250cfm, and ported can get way over 300cfm. Those are 45 year old heads, I grew up with those. I still hope to build another Cleveland some day.

So got my heads 2 days ago but they are still at my parents house,someone had to be home and sign for them..so haven't had a chance to go pick them up but will probably Saturday. .

I ordered everything i need to swap them and also my buddy gave me a 3LE WAP nemark block,one of the strongest 4.6 blocks they make...so if these heads dont work i have a back up plan..

Im going to start the swap tomorrow night.Im also planning to check EVERY SINGLE lash adjuster to make sure they function right and check lash..if they are bad or outa spec i have 32 backups..its going to be very time consuming to check every one plus lash..if they are outa spec i need to make shims for them and try to get them back into spec, im shooting for .018-.033

Ill post some pictures of the new heads soon..wish me luck or prey this fixes it..i really could use a break AND my money back from other heads..lol
Screenshot_2018-09-21-13-31-43-1.png

Good plan there, go slow and be methodical.

I was that way when I built my first engine, and I had help from an older friend.

Haven't got the heads off yet but I'll leave this here..

And some crapy cell pics of new heads..ill try to get some comparison pics later if have time..im wayy behind. .
20181027_132038.jpg
20181027_130303.jpg
20181027_132007.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's one nice looking port job!

The valves in the old heads look like they have a rough surface on the stems.

Back