Automatic lift gate & front suspension squeak! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lisa Cobb

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
So first of thank you all for the help I’ve received on reviewing past threads about varies problems. A little back story. 3 weeks ago I purchased a beauty of a 2011 Ford Explorer limited with all assesory packages added for a great deal. Drove it off the lot no issues. And then a few days later it started making the worse noise up front. Has yet to be sussefully fixed even with 5 service trips. Now 3 weeks later my lift gate won’t open automatically at all.

Am now scheduled to go tomorrow to my FIFTH service appointment in 3 weeks where they will be replacing the left and right lower arm assembly and looking to see what’s wrong with my lift gate. I’m honestly feeling a little defeated with my purchase because well let’s be honest no one wants to spend top dollar at a dealership to have SO many problems. Also should add they replaced my bearings already swearing up and down that was it (because the machanic has 26 years expeinrence and I don’t) except I drove it off the lot with the noise louder than ever.

Anyways my question is has anyone replaced the lower arm controls as a way to remove the squeak when turning and going over speed bumbs? I’ve only found one thread on here saying that’s what solved their problems but even they had there bushing replaced to so I’m worried it still won’t be enough tomorrow.

Also has anyone had their automatic lift gate just stop? My does the normal chimes. No blockage. Has been reset (per manual instructions). And has had heigh reset just for the hell of it. Nothing. Doesn’t open with the buttons or inside button or the remote. Hoping it’s a simple fix that they can do tomorrow and I won’t be going back after a part order for the 6th time in 3 weeks.

Only plus side I still have my free 30 day warranty so nothing is out of pocket yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Lisa.:wave:
It could be that the liftgate motor isn't working. I'm guessing that you get the chimes after opening it manually and then hitting the 'close' button. Is that right?
Auto liftgate troubles

Peter

Yes it does still chime. Do you think they’d have a motor in stock at the dealership or am I most likely looking at having to bring it in AGAIN

Also thanks for the welcome :)

Troubleshooting a noise is frustrating to say the least.

Yes it does still chime. Do you think they’d have a motor in stock at the dealership or am I most likely looking at having to bring it in AGAIN
Well, the first thing is to confirm that the problem is in fact the liftgate motor. They should be able to do that when they have the vehicle. As for having the part in stock, my guess would likely be NO. Very few dealerships stock items that are not a common replacement due to costs involved of carrying a large inventory. This applies to many manufacturers, not just automobile dealers.

Peter

Probably not, but they can often get them same day or overnight.

Back