How to: - New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming | Page 46 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
There is no fuse listed in the Manual for the Signature Lighting. For some reason the fuse listings from 2016 on have been reduced from previous model years. Chances are, if there is a fuse for it, the fuse would likely control other items as well. Good luck.

Peter

Well, maybe one of the Forscan programming gurus on this forum can figure out a way to disable just the signature LED portion of the headlight. Myself and quite a few others would be very interested in knowing how (if it’s possible).

In the meantime, here’s a quick read:

The 2016 explorer has

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here we go again, i'm trying to get reverse tilt mirrors working on 2018MY with no luck.
As far as I know, I have followed the forscan programming instructions, take a look at the pics with no luck.
Once I had finished programming, I turned the ignition off and restated the Explorer. I started to calibrate the mirrors
as per spreadsheet. Item 4 says
" put your vehicle in reverse and let the mirror move down"
my mirrors do not move. I have rechecked the programming all looks OK.
Anybody got reverse tilt working on a 2018MY

Brian

Spreadsheet.jpg

DDM 740-03-01.jpg

DDM 740-13-01.jpg

PDM 741-03-01.jpg

PDM 741-13-01.jpg

IPC 720-02-01.jpg

Hey guys,
Did anyone figured out yet if it is possible to have both Navi in-motion and Sirius Travel Link at the same time?!
What I know so far that I can have either one at the same time...

Hey guys,
Did anyone figured out yet if it is possible to have both Navi in-motion and Sirius Travel Link at the same time?!
What I know so far that I can have either one at the same time...

It's one or the other.

If you don't get an answer here. Go to the F150 forum, they are much more active on this subject. You may be able to figure it out from what they lead you to.

If you don't get an answer here. Go to the F150 forum, they are much more active on this subject. You may be able to figure it out from what they lead you to.

Ive been looking everywhere, all the different forums. I found the spreadsheet made by brandon chololenko but it does not include any codes for TPMS disable. Only thing i found was for a 2011 explorer which said to try changing 726-22-01: X1XX XXXX XXXX to : X0XX XXXX XXXX, but thats for a 2011 and unsure if thats correct for my 2017 XLT.

like I've said, I've tried searching forscan and f150 forums. need help still

Ive been looking everywhere, all the different forums. I found the spreadsheet made by brandon chololenko but it does not include any codes for TPMS disable. Only thing i found was for a 2011 explorer which said to try changing 726-22-01: X1XX XXXX XXXX to : X0XX XXXX XXXX, but thats for a 2011 and unsure if thats correct for my 2017 XLT.

like I've said, I've tried searching forscan and f150 forums. need help still
According to this post, it would be a violation of Federal Law to disable TPMS.
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/disable-tpms.231835/#post-2294426

Peter

According to this post, it would be a violation of Federal Law to disable TPMS.
Disable TPMS?

Peter
I'm just going to put this here -> The Final Word: NHTSA Clears the Air on TPMS Regs and Plus-Sizing Conundrum - Tire Review Magazine

Please note the following:

TR: In regards to installing aftermarket wheels and tires on a vehicle, the current mandate indicates that if the TPMS sensor cannot or does not work with the new replacement tires and/or wheels, it is still acceptable to install them, but neither the vehicle owner nor the retail dealer can disable the dashboard warning lamp. Is this, indeed, the case?

NHTSA: “That is correct. After first retail sale of the vehicle, we do not believe that installing aftermarket tires and wheels necessarily makes the TPMS ‘inoperable.’ However, the MIL cannot be disabled. If the vehicle owner so desires, the vehicle could be taken to a dealer that has the replacement parts and tools necessary to repair and calibrate the TPMS system.”

TR: FMVSS 138 applies to an untitled vehicle. Is there going to be a mandate to apply those regulations beyond the first owner? If so, has there been a date set for compliance?

NHTSA: “We have no legal authority over individual use of a vehicle. Businesses installing aftermarket wheels and tires may not disable the malfunction indicator light and this prohibition is for the life of the vehicle. Individual states have legal authority to enact laws, and could require TPMS to function per FMVSS 138 even after modifications (such as installation of aftermarket tires and wheels) are performed by the private vehicle owner and an aftermarket business.”

Also:

So, the bottom line here is:

• 49 U.S.C. 30122(b) does apply, but only to the TPMS low pressure/malfunction warning lamp.

• While NHTSA would prefer otherwise, sales and installation of aftermarket tires and wheels – and plus-sizing – is perfectly acceptable, providing your shop does not disable the TPMS MIL.

• Aftermarket tires are still not required to work with factory-installed TPMS.

• If you work with an auto dealer to sell and install wheels and tires on new, untitled vehicles, FMVSS 138 requires that the entire TPMS – sensors and MIL – function as if it were OE.

• If the vehicle owner, after buying replacement tires and wheels, still wants the full benefits of their TPMS, they can take the vehicle back to the auto dealer and have the TPMS reinstalled or reprogrammed to work with their new wheels and tires.

• Beware of your state’s regulation activity as it may pass a law mandating that the entire TPMS – sensors and MIL – continue to function like OE even after the owner buys and installs aftermarket wheels and tires.

I don't see anything that says it is, in fact, a violation of federal law for an individual to disable their TPMS MIL. There may be a potential liability issue in court (if involved in an accident that causes injury or property damage) and/or at the state level though (if part of state inspection), so that would be something to consider...

Further:
AEV Procal is for JK Jeeps and can apparently disable the TPMS system. I hope they have a good disclaimer and/or liability insurance...

BrianT....... I got mine to work I believe I had to run the calibration steps a couple of times but works now.

The link does work.
Doesn't work in some browsers and with some VPNs (probably ip issues from foreign countries).

google docs seems to have less issues...

I'm just going to put this here -> The Final Word: NHTSA Clears the Air on TPMS Regs and Plus-Sizing Conundrum - Tire Review Magazine

Please note the following:

TR: In regards to installing aftermarket wheels and tires on a vehicle, the current mandate indicates that if the TPMS sensor cannot or does not work with the new replacement tires and/or wheels, it is still acceptable to install them, but neither the vehicle owner nor the retail dealer can disable the dashboard warning lamp. Is this, indeed, the case?

NHTSA: “That is correct. After first retail sale of the vehicle, we do not believe that installing aftermarket tires and wheels necessarily makes the TPMS ‘inoperable.’ However, the MIL cannot be disabled. If the vehicle owner so desires, the vehicle could be taken to a dealer that has the replacement parts and tools necessary to repair and calibrate the TPMS system.”

TR: FMVSS 138 applies to an untitled vehicle. Is there going to be a mandate to apply those regulations beyond the first owner? If so, has there been a date set for compliance?

NHTSA: “We have no legal authority over individual use of a vehicle. Businesses installing aftermarket wheels and tires may not disable the malfunction indicator light and this prohibition is for the life of the vehicle. Individual states have legal authority to enact laws, and could require TPMS to function per FMVSS 138 even after modifications (such as installation of aftermarket tires and wheels) are performed by the private vehicle owner and an aftermarket business.”

Also:

So, the bottom line here is:

• 49 U.S.C. 30122(b) does apply, but only to the TPMS low pressure/malfunction warning lamp.

• While NHTSA would prefer otherwise, sales and installation of aftermarket tires and wheels – and plus-sizing – is perfectly acceptable, providing your shop does not disable the TPMS MIL.

• Aftermarket tires are still not required to work with factory-installed TPMS.

• If you work with an auto dealer to sell and install wheels and tires on new, untitled vehicles, FMVSS 138 requires that the entire TPMS – sensors and MIL – function as if it were OE.

• If the vehicle owner, after buying replacement tires and wheels, still wants the full benefits of their TPMS, they can take the vehicle back to the auto dealer and have the TPMS reinstalled or reprogrammed to work with their new wheels and tires.

• Beware of your state’s regulation activity as it may pass a law mandating that the entire TPMS – sensors and MIL – continue to function like OE even after the owner buys and installs aftermarket wheels and tires.

I don't see anything that says it is, in fact, a violation of federal law for an individual to disable their TPMS MIL. There may be a potential liability issue in court (if involved in an accident that causes injury or property damage) and/or at the state level though (if part of state inspection), so that would be something to consider...

Further:
AEV Procal is for JK Jeeps and can apparently disable the TPMS system. I hope they have a good disclaimer and/or liability insurance...

49 U.S. Code § 30122 - Making safety devices and elements inoperative
(b)Prohibition.—
A manufacturer, distributor, dealer, rental company, or motor vehicle repair business may not knowingly make inoperative any part of a device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment in compliance with an applicable motor vehicle safety standard prescribed under this chapter unless the manufacturer, distributor, dealer, rental company, or repair business reasonably believes the vehicle or equipment will not be used (except for testing or a similar purpose during maintenance or repair) when the device or element is inoperative.

An individual has the right to disable any safety device, but with that being said, it can fail inspections or be fined by local authorities that have such laws in place.

An individual has the right to disable any safety device, but with that being said, it can fail inspections or be fined by local authorities that have such laws in place.
By that logic, an individual has the "right" to do pretty much anything they want, but with that being said, they may run into problems with the local constabulary (fine/arrest/etc...) and whatever other exceptions you may wish to add...

Don't forget the potential civil/criminal liability that may find an individual if the disabling of a safety device can be proven to have been a negligent or contributory factor.

Doesn't work in some browsers and with some VPNs (probably ip issues from foreign countries).

google docs seems to have less issues...
I got it to work with Microsoft Edge browser. Thanks.

I looked at the spreadsheet and tried two things that did not work. Engine hour meter and boost gauge. Anyone have any other changes that do work for these two?

I also tried the power outlet to always on and it takes the change, but still shuts off right after shutting the vehicle off.

Here we go again, i'm trying to get reverse tilt mirrors working on 2018MY with no luck.
As far as I know, I have followed the forscan programming instructions, take a look at the pics with no luck.
Once I had finished programming, I turned the ignition off and restated the Explorer. I started to calibrate the mirrors
as per spreadsheet. Item 4 says
" put your vehicle in reverse and let the mirror move down"
my mirrors do not move. I have rechecked the programming all looks OK.
Anybody got reverse tilt working on a 2018MY

Brian

View attachment 159758

View attachment 159759

View attachment 159760

View attachment 159761

View attachment 159762

View attachment 159763

Here's what someone sent to me, worked for my MY2018

Its easy, choose left or right mirror
1 Put the gear on reverse
2 Tilt the mirror to the desired position
3 save it (seat memory 1 or 2)
4 put gear on drive or park
5 tilt the mirror to normal positon
6 save (same as #3)
Do the same for the other mirror Test: shift to reverse & choose mirror, it should tilt on its own

Mod: Don't know if you want to leave this in basic forum or move to MOD section. Kinda gray area since its essentially changing OEM settings.

Don't usually do disclaimers but I feel this one needs it.

DISCLAIMER: The content listed is for modifying existing code in your control units. You do so at your own risk. This is especially true for editing raw code, since you don't know the outcome.

Some of you guys use Forscan and for those who don't know it is a piece of software that essentially is the reverse engineering of IDS. IDS being the software the dealer uses to scan, troubleshoot, and program Fords. Forscan can be used on an iPhone, Android, or PC using a OBDII adapter.

For the most part Forscan has been able to read and "control" all control units on our vehicles. Few months ago PATS programming was added to program keys (sorry this gen Explorer is not on the compatible list....yet). By control I mean simulate inputs/outputs like turn on left headlight, turn on dash indicators, set fan speed, etc all of which are used to help diagnose issues.

Well as of Feb 20th with the update of 2.3.0 beta (for PC), Forscan can now code/program control units.

Coding is when an OEM has several variations of vehicles but wants to use the same hardware to control them, mostly due to a big cost savings. When the OEM builds a car they "code" these control units according to what the vehicle has listed in its BOM (bill of materials). So say Ford builds a Police Interceptor they add the coding to enable the "dark car" feature. This coding is really just changing variables in the code to turn on or off features. It's not really a software change because the software is the same on all cars buts its just changing variables. Think of tire size. OEMs sometimes use a bunch of different tire sizes and that changes the speedometer output. So they let the control unit know what size the tires are to make the speedometer correct.

Forscan shows this new feature as a button on the left that looks like a microchip and it is called "programming and configuration." When you click on that it lists all the modules that currently can be programmed and lists them as just the module or the module name and (AS BUILT FORMAT). The AS BUILT FORMAT is just lists addresses and the variables that are there that can be written. To me this means they (Forscan team) don't know what this area of memory does yet. The item that just says the module name DOES show the "dumb" names of the variables. Stuff that you and I can easily know what is being changed.

Below is a screenshot of what you can do to the BODY CONTROL UNIT. You can enable dark car, drls, change tire pressure (changes TPMS threshold), change tire size, etc.

Right now nothing here needs to be changed for my needs, just looking around. Can't wait till more modules are figured out.

I think this tool could be used for retrofitting something possibly like the power liftgate feature. You can buy and install all the parts but you still have to program the BCM for this feature. Either it is a simple enable button change or you scan your buddies car that has this feature and copy all the coding and reprogram your module to match.

forscan.png

Some helpful links:

How to get extended license:
Standard and Extended licenses for Windows - FORScan forum

How to use configuration and programming:
How to program Central Configuration using FORScan - FORScan forum

How to view MS-CAN modules on ELM327 device.
How to access MS CAN bus using FORScanV2 and modified ELM327 - FORScan forum

2011-2017 Explorer Known As Built Data Changes:
FORScan 2011-2019 Explorers

2011-2015 Specific Known As Built Data Changes:
FORScan 2011-2015 Explorer

Does anyone know what fog light memory in tge spreadsheet mean?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know what fog light memory in tge spreadsheet mean?
It remembers if fog light was on or off upon vehicle restart, so if its on, it stays on, you dont need to turn it on every time you start the engine.

Back