Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Hankooks were down to the wear bar at 24k miles. Vista Ford got $130/tire credit from Hankook.
I applied that $520. credit towards the purchase of Michelin Defender LTX from Vista Ford. I still had to pay $476.
Ed

My Hankooks were down to the wear bar at 24k miles. Vista Ford got $130/tire credit from Hankook.
I applied that $520. credit towards the purchase of Michelin Defender LTX from Vista Ford. I still had to pay $476.
Ed
Lucky you, the Ford dealer I went through made me buy the same tires.

Ed
Welcome to the Forum Edward.:wave:
As DHG2605 put it, "Lucky you". Here is what the Hankook Tire Warranty states; "Tires not qualifying for free replacement will be allowed a credit toward purchase of a new, comparable Hankook Tire Based upon the amount of tread actually worn."

Peter

I only got about 9,000 miles on my rear Metzler ME880... Oops wrong forum. :D Tires are everything in safety whether it's a single track vehicle like a motorcycle or a 5000 lb SUV. I see the complaining about wear, but not that these are unsafe. With only 1700 miles on my Explorer, I have no real opinion on these tires. But they didn't slide me off the road in heavy rain and should last longer than my rear motorcycle tire. I'll keep them properly inflated and see how they do, but I do trust Michelins and Dunlops.

So, in just over a year with this Explorer Platty, I have over 34K miles. At 32K, with tread bars showing, I decided to go ahead and get new tires installed before cold weather sets in. Like many others, I went with the Michelin Defender LTX and had them installed for just about $800. Thought it funny that the best price I could find was from the dealer I purchased it from. Once I got a few hundred miles on the Michelins, they really are proving themselves in handling and braking. The ratings of these tires from various sources showed that these were probably the best tire for these vehicles, so I can echo the other praises for the Michelin Defenders. But yeah, even the Hankooks last longer than my motorcycle tires.

I have a 2016 X Sport with 12,000 miles on it and the original Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires only have 4/32 of tread left on them. This my wife's daily driver used to take the kids to school and run errands so it is by no means driven hard. Hankook only wants to pro-rate them at 25% which I think is a joke. There is no way these tires should be wearing like this. Anybody else having this issues with these tires?
Yes a lot of people have had the issue and Hankook will only pro-rate. I went through the same thing.

Yes a lot of people have had the issue and Hankook will only pro-rate. I went through the same thing.

I needed new tired around 19.5k miles and was given a credit of about $130 / tire for the stock Hankooks.

The thread started peeling small fine hunks of it's rubber at 15,000km (at least that's when i noticed it) The dealer got Ford's permission to give me new tires of my choice, since they've seen this happening before my complaint. Super glad i got rid of them.

Hello all. New Member here. I actually signed up for the website because of this thread due to seeing the same issues as all of you. I just turned about 23K and my tires are peeling. I lost a tire due to a blow out around 14K and replaced it with the same Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 R20. Looking back I wish I had just replaced all 4 at the time with 4 better tires (Michelin or Good Year). I had expected to easily get 40K+ miles from the OEM tires and didn't think twice at the time of the blowout so I just ordered another Hankook Ventus Noble to replace the blowout as I wanted matched tires.

I noticed the peeling over the past week and went today to price out new tires, but just feel like I am being cheated by both Ford and Hankook by having to replace them sooner than they should be. I would pursue harder for a warranty replacement, but I just don't want another set of Hankook's on my vehicle.

So I will just piss and moan and write on this Forum to warn others of how Junky these tires are and to never buy them.

Ccq and others.

I have almost 1400 miles and to be honest I don’t have a good feeling about these tires. Even during light rain and barely wet roads they feel slick and could get out from underneath you. I am probably going to change them sooner before a winter road trip to VA. Around here in DFW we get ice in the winter but taking the trip to VA I expect I will need good tread and 4WD at some point. I have already narrowed down to the Bridgestone Dueler or Michelin Defender. Prices are fairly competitive and last check within about $20 per tire maybe even closer than that. Bridgestone seems to have slightly better initial tread depth. 11/32” vs Defender 10.5/32”. But Michelin’s In the past have treated me well and provided long lasting durability and reliability. I have used Costco and Tire Rack and both have been outstanding customer service after the sale.

Michelin and Bridgestone rebates are competitive between Costco and T/R the only major difference is Costco rebates are immediate and T/R they are mail in gift cards.

Costco usually rotates between Bridgestone Michelin and possibly BF Goodrich. Currently Michelin so get Defender now or wait another couple of weeks and go for the Duelers.

No all season (3 season actually) tire will match a dedicated Winter tire for performance and safety in cold and icy conditions. The reason is that non Winter tire compounds begin to lose grip at just 44 degrees and it gets worse from there. Winter tires have a different rubber compound that allows them to stay flexible in cold temperature for better grip, performance and safety.

Peter

Hello all. New Member here. I actually signed up for the website because of this thread due to seeing the same issues as all of you. I just turned about 23K and my tires are peeling. I lost a tire due to a blow out around 14K and replaced it with the same Hankook Ventus S1 noble 2 R20. Looking back I wish I had just replaced all 4 at the time with 4 better tires (Michelin or Good Year). I had expected to easily get 40K+ miles from the OEM tires and didn't think twice at the time of the blowout so I just ordered another Hankook Ventus Noble to replace the blowout as I wanted matched tires.

I noticed the peeling over the past week and went today to price out new tires, but just feel like I am being cheated by both Ford and Hankook by having to replace them sooner than they should be. I would pursue harder for a warranty replacement, but I just don't want another set of Hankook's on my vehicle.

So I will just piss and moan and write on this Forum to warn others of how Junky these tires are and to never buy them.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Granted I'm a very low mileage driver but I have had no issues with these tires while I've had them. There are a couple posts here where owners have replaced the Hankooks with different brand tires under the Hankook warranty regarding the chipping and peeling.

Peter

I have a 2016 X Sport with 12,000 miles on it and the original Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires only have 4/32 of tread left on them. This my wife's daily driver used to take the kids to school and run errands so it is by no means driven hard. Hankook only wants to pro-rate them at 25% which I think is a joke. There is no way these tires should be wearing like this. Anybody else having this issues with these tires?

If you take a look at Hankook's very own description of this tire, you will find it is targeted at high performance sedan and coupe's, sport utility applications are not even mentioned in the manufacturer's recommendations. Why Ford opts to use this tire as standard equipment is beyond me, it's really not appropriate for the application.

I have prior experience with this tire on another vehicle,and it wasn't good. That's why these came off my new Explorer Sport before it was even broken in - I changed out to Bridgestone with about 500 miles on.

The inconsistent performance of the tire is likely more related to the driving type rather than inflation. The UHP passenger car tires are going to have a softer compound than a tire engineered for an SUV application.

Just as a side note, my Sport drives much better. Straighter track, more stable, the ride firmed up some but not bothersome.

Greg9933

If you take a look at Hankook's very own description of this tire, you will find it is targeted at high performance sedan and coupe's, sport utility applications are not even mentioned in the manufacturer's recommendations. Why Ford opts to use this tire as standard equipment is beyond me, it's really not appropriate for the application.
Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Peter

Add me to the list :) My first set that came with the car totally disintegrated (started peeling then chunks falling off, then premature wear) by 23,000 miles (with rotation , so basically all 4 tires went).
Managed to prorate from Ford (Ford does warranty up to 24.000 on the tires) but they had to put the same tires.
6000 miles after, (no rotation yet), the fronts have the same issue. Started peeling and once peeling starts (usually on the outside mark) then chunks follow.
Basically I believe what everyone said - the tire is not made for the weight of the front side of the Explorer even though the weight rating of the tire suggest it would be ok. Or Hankook lied on the weight rating :)
Because my rear ones are perfectly OK, but the fronts are bad.

p.s. I saw few Edge Sports with that tire and yes, they wear out early but NO peeling. Which I think confirms the issue is with the weight or the suspension, who knows.
Adding also that the tire is terrible from noise level perspective, it makes me sick when I see all the new Explorer (even sports) come with the same crappy tire.
At least on the Edge Ford started putting Pirellis.

p.s.2 So anyone under 24.000 can ask/convince Ford to replace or prorate depending on thread wear. After 24.000 you can work with Hankooks. There are two separate warranties - one from Ford up to 24.000 and then the Hankook one. (there is recent TSB but that goes through Hankook)

Welcome to the Forum limited3.5.:wave:

Peter

Hello,

I live in Canada. This past weekend, I removed the Hankook tires from my 2017 Ford Explorer XLT Appearance Package to install my Michelin winters and noticed the severe flaking/chipping on my front two tires. They'd been rotated when installed at the beginning of summer 2018. I have two kids and believe I drive my Explorer probably more than responsibly. The SUV has ~28,000kms on it in a year and a half, but I'd estimate the Hankooks have approximately 15,000kms on them. I took pictures and reported to my dealer. They've have asked to see the tires when I bring the vehicle in next. I won't accept having these tires reinstalled on my family vehicle next summer. I also submitted an online defect complaint to the recall division of Transport Canada. They responded immediately and asked to come pick up the tires today for inspection/review. Will let you know what comes of it.

tire.jpg

Hello,

I live in Canada. This past weekend, I removed the Hankook tires from my 2017 Ford Explorer XLT Appearance Package to install my Michelin winters and noticed the severe flaking/chipping on my front two tires. They'd been rotated when installed at the beginning of summer 2018. I have two kids and believe I drive my Explorer probably more than responsibly. The SUV has ~28,000kms on it in a year and a half, but I'd estimate the Hankooks have approximately 15,000kms on them. I took pictures and reported to my dealer. They've have asked to see the tires when I bring the vehicle in next. I won't accept having these tires reinstalled on my family vehicle next summer. I also submitted an online defect complaint to the recall division of Transport Canada. They responded immediately and asked to come pick up the tires today for inspection/review. Will let you know what comes of it.

View attachment 164493

Please keep us posted, as mine has also worn out quicker than normal, despite swapping them out during the winter.
I recently rolled over 60K km (average of 20K km a year) and if you divide that by two for the winter season, that's about 30K km on the tires.
While mine hasn't flaked our showed any other signs of defects, it is definitely abnormal wear, compared to the tires on my other vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife had a 2017 Explorer Sport. When she got her oil changed in June 2018 with 10k miles....She also had tires rotated. The note on the invoice says high wear on the fronts something like 50%...I travel a lot for work and can't pay too much attention. Fast forward a few months and she has a nail in a tire so I take it to Costco to have it patched. Fast forward to last week and she has a low pressure warning and she takes it back to Costco...They can't patch a new nail but tell her the tires are basically bald and need replaced. I talk to the manager and they move forward.

When I get back in town, pick up the car and realize its only like 17k miles which seems stupid. Call Ford and he is well aware of it and says to get the tire ID off the old tires and call Hankook. Costco had the ID documented but threw out the old tires. Call Hankook and they said that Ford is handling the claims and that I need the tire as proof. He says they will cut a check for a % of the new tire value.

Now I'm no lawyer but it seems having a 17" Explorer, Costco documenting the ID on the wall and the documentation of the tire ware at 10k from Ford themselves would be a good amount of evidence.

I feel after today both Ford and Hankook are giving me a run around.

Back