Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm guessing that some of the features are common to all Explorers whether they actually them or not. In my 2011 Limited there was a setting in the display for either "tow" or "sway control", can't remember which and the vehicle did not have the factory tow package. It's one way to cut down on expenses from Ford's end.

Peter
Thanks Monday I have a appointment at the dealer for some recalls n I will see what they can tell me as far as towing n etc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both of my PIUs have that same DTE option - all it does is change the calculation strategy for Distance Til Empty.

I wouldn't waste your time with the dealer as any smart dealer is simply going to quote the company line for liability reasons.

Hey Everyone, I recently purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer 3.5l ecoboost twin turbo and unfortunately it does not have the tow package. There are so many different posts, but my Fiance and I would like to add all the parts needed aftermarket to have the 5k lb tow rating.

Is it possible to get a list of exactly what would need to be purchased? I do understand it is more than a hitch.

Thank you!

You basically can’t. Sure, you can go ahead and install all the items in the tow package, and maybe the vehicle is mechanically capable of towing 5000lbs now, but the Ford rating with an aftermarket hitch would still apply...2000lbs...in terms of what would be the vehicles tow rating.

On to your question...Depending on your vehicle, the items range from the factory hitch, to possibly the transmission (your Sport may already have a 6F55), certain aerodynamic changes to the air dam, the oil cooler, wiring, even the tow/haul button install.

But still...the rating will remain what it was when it left the factory.

Hey Everyone, I recently purchased a 2013 Ford Explorer 3.5l ecoboost twin turbo and unfortunately it does not have the tow package. There are so many different posts, but my Fiance and I would like to add all the parts needed aftermarket to have the 5k lb tow rating.

Is it possible to get a list of exactly what would need to be purchased? I do understand it is more than a hitch.

Thank you!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As mentioned by jo7hs2, you can add a Class III hitch but I believe the official (legal) rating would still be 2000 lbs. Still if you decide to go ahead here is a video of an installation; Factory Tow Hitch Kit for Gen 5 Explorer c/w Video

Peter

I know this is probably a dumb question, but if we wanted to tow a 2500 or 2600 lb rv on flat florida roads, do you think we would be ok? And it would only be a few weekends a year until we can get a truck

I know this is probably a dumb question, but if we wanted to tow a 2500 or 2600 lb rv on flat florida roads, do you think we would be ok? And it would only be a few weekends a year until we can get a truck
From strictly an ability for the Explorer to handle that I would think you'd likely be okay. However, Ford recommends that a Weight Distribution Hitch be used for towing over 2000 lbs +.

I wouldnt sweat it at all personally in FL. In colorado with 7%+ grades, different story.

Hello All,

The dealer I bought my 2018 Ford Explorer from (I won't say any names) gave me my Explorer without the class III tow package on it that I asked for. Now they are scrambling around trying to add it aftermarket.

-They claim that can't put on an after market engine oil cooler, do I need one?
-Will I need any software updates to install the tow/haul button?

Has anyone added a tow package to their explorer before?

Anything helps, I am not happy with these guys.

Probably would have them take it back as you won't be able to get a class 3 rating without an OEM installed trailer package.

Which trim level did you get? If you got a base, xlt, or limited you need to get them to take it back as these come with a 6f50 trans and with the tow package you get the beefier 6f55 trans. 6f55 trans is standard on platinum and sport.

Hello All,

The dealer I bought my 2018 Ford Explorer from (I won't say any names) gave me my Explorer without the class III tow package on it that I asked for. Now they are scrambling around trying to add it aftermarket.

-They claim that can't put on an after market engine oil cooler, do I need one?
-Will I need any software updates to install the tow/haul button?

Has anyone added a tow package to their explorer before?

Anything helps, I am not happy with these guys.

Your thread has been merged with the existing one that discusses every detail on your question. Most topics have already been discussed and can be found using the search function on the top right.

As shelton stated, you csnt make a class II vehicle a class III. Different trans, different cooling, tow/haul mode (could be added) etc. Class II from factory is class II for life.

As shelton stated, you csnt make a class II vehicle a class III. Different trans, different cooling, tow/haul mode (could be added) etc. Class II from factory is class II for life.
It's actually possible to 'make a class 2 explorer class 3 capable', it would just be terribly cost prohibitive to do so.

As for cameronA, your best option is to immediately stop driving the vehicle and take it back to the dealer for refund/exchange. Hopefully you have the tow package info/discussion documented or recorded if the dealer chooses to not do the right thing.

It's actually possible to 'make a class 2 explorer class 3 capable', it would just be terribly cost prohibitive to do so.

As for cameronA, your best option is to immediately stop driving the vehicle and take it back to the dealer for refund/exchange. Hopefully you have the tow package info/discussion documented or recorded if the dealer chooses to not do the right thing.

Capable, yes, certified or legal, no.

Which trim level did you get? If you got a base, xlt, or limited you need to get them to take it back as these come with a 6f50 trans and with the tow package you get the beefier 6f55 trans. 6f55 trans is standard on platinum and sport.
It's an XLT according to his profile.;)

Peter

Capable, yes, certified or legal, no.
All you need to find is an alterer/upfitter willing to recertify and take on the risk. Again, cost prohibitive, but possible.

There are alterers/upfitters that do this stuff - usually it is to downrate a vehicle GVWR/GCWR to keep it below a certain threshold (26K or 33K) or when they make those funky pickups from class 6/7/8 trucks. It occasionally happens where an upfitter wants to increase GCWR/GVWR. It doesn't normally happen with explorers that were ordered without a tow package. However, a lot of people don't seem to understand much and don't like the truth, so it is what it is... Sell the truck and buy one properly equipped to tow the load you have or go hog wild spending money to upgrade your vehicle.

Is the GB5Z part number for the 2016-2019 Explorer Class I/III hitch and exact match to the BB5Z part number for the 2011-2015 hitch? I'm finding a number of GB5Z hitches for sale, but no BB5Zs, and I don't want to pay a premium for a deprecated part if the GB5Z model is identical.

Also, what is the part number for the 4 and 7 pin factory trailer harnesses? I can find the 4 pin harness easily, but not the 4 and 7 pin version. I've tried using search, but that is not helping whatsoever.

Searching by VIN, this is what comes up for mine.

Impact Bar - Ford (JB5Z-17D826-B) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Harness
Kit - Trailer Hitch Electrics - Ford (JK4Z-15A416-A) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

I believe if only the first letter is different, then it's compatible, but I'm not positive.

I would assume you would also need the wiring harness and the switch for the fog lights, which would include the switch for tow/haul mode for the transmission. I've read that tow/haul works just by adding the switch, I think.

Is the GB5Z part number for the 2016-2019 Explorer Class I/III hitch and exact match to the BB5Z part number for the 2011-2015 hitch? I'm finding a number of GB5Z hitches for sale, but no BB5Zs, and I don't want to pay a premium for a deprecated part if the GB5Z model is identical.

Also, what is the part number for the 4 and 7 pin factory trailer harnesses? I can find the 4 pin harness easily, but not the 4 and 7 pin version. I've tried using search, but that is not helping whatsoever.
Check out this site; AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories
It might help if you posted the whole part number that you are referring to.

Peter

Searching by VIN, this is what comes up for mine.

Impact Bar - Ford (JB5Z-17D826-B) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Harness
Kit - Trailer Hitch Electrics - Ford (JK4Z-15A416-A) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

I believe if only the first letter is different, then it's compatible, but I'm not positive.

I would assume you would also need the wiring harness and the switch for the fog lights, which would include the switch for tow/haul mode for the transmission. I've read that tow/haul works just by adding the switch, I think.

Tow/Haul doesn't work by simply adding a switch in the PIU. There is no harness to plug the Tow switch into. I haven't yet spliced into the BCM harness to experiment, but the Low Gear switch in a PIU feeds to the same input on the transmission as the Tow Mode switch.

My PIU has the prewire for fog lights and the relays turn on when I push the fog light button, which I've already added. I've also added the fog light indicator to the dash.

I just need the part numbers for a complete OEM fog light kit for the 11-15 Explorer. I'm not buying aftermarket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back