Keep on wheelin John Rock
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
York, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer
The theme for the EF's October Lottery is simply "Generic". For this month's drawing post media or a short story about anything pertaining to your rig, travels, or trailing.

Ending and drawing date will be on or about November 11th.

Goal: To encourage members of the Explorer Forum to submit a photo and/or vid, or written story in accordance with the theme and award two members with an one year elite membership.

Only one submission to be entered into the drawing per member. Submission can contain multiable pics and or video(s) and/or links to pics/vids. Members are encouraged to post positive feedback

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thursday, November 8 2018

The first snow blast of winter hits West Michigan this weekend..

8forecast_640x480.jpg

Here we go again..:rolleyes:

generic-beer.jpg

:chug:

My husband makes so many sacrifices for our family without anyone asking or expecting. Got the biggest surprise ever last month when he traded in his dream car (Chrysler 300) for our Explorer (my dream car). Couldn’t be more thankful for my new car and also my amazing husband. ❤️❤️

FE1A9D69-9950-4040-B0CE-3A48CEF24814.jpeg

During my second deployment, my wife okayed me getting a project vehicle with the extra money I get while deployed. My original choice was a Cherokee.
And while deployed, I compiled a list of parts that I was going to put on; from shocks to lift kit, to lockers and tires, you name it, it was most likely on that list.

A month or so before I was to deploy back to the states I get a Red Cross message that said to call my wife. If you been in the military you know that the Red Cross is used for emergencies and command don't play when it comes to this. I had to go see my commanding officer and use a Sat phone to call my wife. Come to find out she was in a car wreck. No one was hurt thank God. But during the police investigation she was found at fault which only looked that way after the accident.

So during our conversation she told me she only had liability insurance. And since she was found at fault....all that money that was saved up was used to fix our car. Man was I pissed. Not at her for being in an accident but at the fact that it would be so hard to save up that kind of money again. But regardless how I felt, I just told her it was okay, at least we have the money to use.

Its been many years, 14 to be exact, and I still didnt have my project vehicle nor the money to get one. I got frustrated from time to time when something reminded me of that.

Last December we finally had some extra cash laying around. Granted it wasn't much, but hey, extra cash is always good to have. So my wife and I was sitting at the dinner table having coffee one day and she brought up this story. She asked if I remembered it.

"Of course remember it. It's one of the reasons we now have full coverage on our vehicles." I said.

She replied, "Not that, the money."

"What about it?" I answered gloomily.

"That extra money we have, it's yours to buy your project truck."

I can't say what followed after that. After all, it's a kid friendly forum.

Fast forward a few days and I'm searching local markets for a Cherokee. No luck. Either they are already modded (what's the fun in driving someone else's work) don't run (had to run/drive) or the asking price is beyond reason. I knew I still wanted a four door and four wheel drive vehicle. So I broadened my search to include other makers. First a Bow Tie peaked my interest. Come to find out it didnt run.
Next was a Xterra. It had major problems in the ABS department. It wasn't safe to drive. It went on like this for about a week.

As Christmas approached and seeing that lots of people would be celebrating it and the New Year, I knew it might be better to wait until the holidays where over before I continue my search. One day as I was thumbing through FB Marketplace, a 2000 Explorer XLT with 210K on the clock (just posted) popped up. I brushed it off at first. It was listed at the top end of my budget. But for some reason I kept coming back to it. I kept looking at the photos and description and noticed in the photos that is was located 3 miles from my house. So I took the chance and drove out to see it.

For an 18 year old SUV, it didn't look like it had 18 years of abuse. Yes the body had a few dings and nicks. And the roof top was faded (typically). And yes, the suspension was sagging. But other than that nothing screamed problem on the outside. The interior was basically the same. It showed very little wear, minus a few stains. It even still had the rear cargo cover and it works. So I took it for a test drive.

I thought I would never own another Ford after a POS F150 I had, but in my driveway now, sits a 2000 Ford Explorer that I really enjoy. I already did the typical fixes; shocks (Gabriel Load Shocks in the rear) all sway bar bushings and most of the fluids. I still need to do the control arm bushings, lead spring bushings and a few other things before I make my final decision on either turning it into a trail rig or off road beast.

20181024_102016.jpg

From a trip I made with a friend in 2004, to Montreal for Lasic surgery. The snow tires weren't needed really, but we didn't know how it would be up there for the three day trip. We parked on the street before our hotel room was available, and then in the parking garage until we left two days later. We spent the time walking all around the city, and the underground mall, shopping etc.

The scene we were overlooking was Mount Royal there. Montreal is a beautiful city for sure, we enjoyed everything we saw. I vaguely remember that was when I began to see my hair going away. Memories,

Snowday02130603.JPG

3rd set new camera 071.jpg

Mont Royal.JPG

3rd set new camera 009.jpg

3rd set new camera 011.jpg

3rd set new camera 061.jpg

From a recent trip to Sunflower Mine, near Mesa AZ. (actually nearer Sunflower AZ, but no one knows where that is! lol)

We had just finished the upper Sycamore trail and I was assured that this trail was no more difficult, if not easier than the upper Sycamore trail by my "friends" with the Jeeps (with 35"-40" tires and the lifts to go with them). So I agreed to go. The trail started with muddy shelf roads, then we got down into the valley and encountered a normally dry creekbed that was running pretty quick. I followed the lead jeep through the water easily enough only to see that once we crossed the stream a few times, and drove up it for a hundred yards or so, we had to climb a series of steps that the lil ol Eddie wasn't prepared for. But I forged ahead, substituting momentum for clearance (Yes, I know, foolish). But made it up the steps, and caught up with the leader. (also broke the bracket holding my remote transmission filter. But it didn't leak so I forged ahead, stuffing the hanging part up into the bumper). We crossed the creek a few more times, climbed some lesser steps and hills and finally attained our goal... the abandoned Sunflower Mine.

The pic posted of the Explorer was cut from the Mesa4Wheelers newsletter, the caption written by the leader of the trip (who did NOT wait for me LoL). It was taken on the return trip by the leader, who did pay more attention to how far behind him the group was this time. I did hear chatter on the CB on the return trip of how amazed everyone was with the "little Explorer who could".

Next on the to do list, steel bumpers with better clearance and a winch, losing the running boards in exchange for sliders, and a body lift.

SunflowerMine01.jpg

101318SunflowerMine02.jpg

101318SunflowerMine07.jpg

Several years ago my mother-in-law moved from her house of 38 years or so in Custer, WA into an assisted living apartment (but couldn't take her 14-year-old never-socialized indoor cat). My wife went up to help her mom pack and after my wife got back, I drove my 93 red X up to bring an Explorer-load of "stuff" back AND the cat (no rescue organization would take the cat - they said to euthanize it). It took two days driving there (Sacramento north to Custer, WA - 7 miles south of Canada - 860 miles each way) - and two days driving back with a big load and cat. Considering the X had probably 240K plus miles on it, the trip went well, if really SLOW (60 MPH the whole way). The cat never made a sound!
First pic is the X before I started loading it. It is amazing how much room these 1st Gen Explorer have!
Second pic is the X loaded up.
Third pick was my "protective suit" to grab the cat and lower her into the crate with minimal damage to me. Since we used bacon to bribe her, I'm surprised she ever ate bacon again.

Postscript about the cat, although she was raised without affection or human interaction, within around three months she was sitting on my wife's lap, purring. She lived around three years after moving into our house. And FYI, I'm not a cat person... :)

X Empty.jpg

X Full.jpg

cat proof.jpg

A few more images from my most recent outing.

FB_IMG_1541048816328.jpg

FB_IMG_1541048657413.jpg

FB_IMG_1541048646844.jpg

Not for consideration

From a recent trip to Sunflower Mine, near Mesa AZ. (actually nearer Sunflower AZ, but no one knows where that is! lol)

We had just finished the upper Sycamore trail and I was assured that this trail was no more difficult, if not easier than the upper Sycamore trail by my "friends" with the Jeeps (with 35"-40" tires and the lifts to go with them). So I agreed to go. The trail started with muddy shelf roads, then we got down into the valley and encountered a normally dry creekbed that was running pretty quick. I followed the lead jeep through the water easily enough only to see that once we crossed the stream a few times, and drove up it for a hundred yards or so, we had to climb a series of steps that the lil ol Eddie wasn't prepared for. But I forged ahead, substituting momentum for clearance (Yes, I know, foolish). But made it up the steps, and caught up with the leader. (also broke the bracket holding my remote transmission filter. But it didn't leak so I forged ahead, stuffing the hanging part up into the bumper). We crossed the creek a few more times, climbed some lesser steps and hills and finally attained our goal... the abandoned Sunflower Mine.

The pic posted of the Explorer was cut from the Mesa4Wheelers newsletter, the caption written by the leader of the trip (who did NOT wait for me LoL). It was taken on the return trip by the leader, who did pay more attention to how far behind him the group was this time. I did hear chatter on the CB on the return trip of how amazed everyone was with the "little Explorer who could".

Next on the to do list, steel bumpers with better clearance and a winch, losing the running boards in exchange for sliders, and a body lift.

View attachment 163914

View attachment 163916

View attachment 163919

Our Explorers can do a lot more than the Jeep guys give them credit for, but it's hard to keep up with lifted Rubicons. Way to go! Hope the damage wasn't too bad.

LoL nah, just a broken transmission filter bracket. I just replaced it, and relocated it to a safer, higher spot above the frame and behind the bumper. In fact im sitting in front of the explorer now double checking for leaks!

15419734015332011914342.jpg

15419734307111029095950.jpg

Not for consideration

Congrats to @davidk and @Tasco37 for winning the one year elite membership in the EF Lottery!!

Thanks and now that my “new” green Explorer is back on the road, I’ll have to start taking pics of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back