03 lincoln aviator | Page 42 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 lincoln aviator

That's one nice looking port job!

The valves in the old heads look like they have a rough surface on the stems.
I wish he touched it up by hand but what looks like ridges or transitions are smooth as hell and cant be felt with finger,the camera exaggerates transitions or whatever. ..

The old valves were cleaned up and checked for straightness ,i noticed that also and asked ..they are also SS valves and new heads are stockers,couldn't afford another set of SS

Its just crazy the ports and intake manifold are pretty bone dry but yet there is PUDDLES on every valve and can see where its ran down the valves...

I PREY these new heads fix it...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely dont want to jump the gun but she fired right up and is running really good..took it for a 15 mile-ish learn break in and its running good..no smoke or any of the symptoms it had before.

Next couple days will tell tho..getting wayy better milage and she definitely has wayy more balls..haven't got on it hard but can tell

That sounds great, I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Not a puff of smoke this morning. .we shall see how rest of day goes but its look good!!

Let the smoke be gone and the power be increasing!

No smoke at lunch or trip to store for work..going out on a limb and say its good for now...hopefully it stays good!!

Even some of the exhaust porta were soaked..one per head was drenched in oil..
20181029_184625.jpg
20181029_184250.jpg

Interesting. Let us know what the machinist says about what was leaking, the valve seals or the valve seats?

The only heads I've had a problem with was a rebuilt 351W head pair I got in about 1996. They were mail order, slightly ported, and had new guides and multi-angle seats.

I happened to remove a retainer etc, to check one seat. The seat was a basic valve job, not special at all, but the valve was basically stuck in the guide. I removed all of the springs and discovered about 12 valves were so tight they would hardly move. I took the heads to a local shop to fix the guides, ream them out to fit properly the valves in them. They also touched up the seats to a better finish, just three angles though. The heads worked fine then, but I was glad I double checked things.

Interesting. Let us know what the machinist says about what was leaking, the valve seals or the valve seats?

The only heads I've had a problem with was a rebuilt 351W head pair I got in about 1996. They were mail order, slightly ported, and had new guides and multi-angle seats.

I happened to remove a retainer etc, to check one seat. The seat was a basic valve job, not special at all, but the valve was basically stuck in the guide. I removed all of the springs and discovered about 12 valves were so tight they would hardly move. I took the heads to a local shop to fix the guides, ream them out to fit properly the valves in them. They also touched up the seats to a better finish, just three angles though. The heads worked fine then, but I was glad I double checked things.
Its the guides..a very very slight amount gets by the seal to lube the guide but if the guied is to loose it will suck a large amount of oil past the seal...

Thanks for the update. That guide clearance is a big deal. I think my 98 with 208k miles has had loose guides, plus worn piston rings/cylinders, since I bought it. It eats close to a quart per month, but doesn't smoke that I can notice. I'm used to not having to check the oil level often.

Hopefully your Aviator will get back to being a no maintenance luxury vehicle from now on. When you get it broken in, check into BWD fluids, they make custom oils/fluids for most automotive needs, oil/trans/gear oil etc. I forgot the common name for it, but it sounds like it runs over $15 a quart. That's not feasible for any application that uses/eats fluids, but if there is no loss over time, it can be very feasible. I've been planning to go to full Amsoil when I have an engine in that's built my way, but until then the $5 a quart is the best way.

So they pulled the old heads apart and double checked everything..said it looks like the day they built them,everything was still in spec..

So they called CHE to see if they had any advice and they asked what seals we was running and told them stock..CHE said that their guides required a special seal and stocks wouldn't work..they said the sales person should've told us that and gave us a part number..

So they ordered the right seals and asked me what i wanted to do but wanted to ""make it right for me"" ..that they would be good heads if i wanted to sell them or have them sell them..so i told him I'd call him back tomorrow as i had just got to my cousin's funeral. .

Ill probably ask for my $828 back and let them keep the heads so they could sell them with their name on them and make a little something back..i just dont want my name on them and at this point i dont care about the money i spent on SS valves and hardened seats..i just want my $828 and wash my hands..

They should be able to sell them around $1,200-1,500 easily. .

I'm just happy you finally have a working Aviator. Another painful story put to bed.

I'm just happy you finally have a working Aviator. Another painful story put to bed.
Meee too..you dont know how frustrating it was to spend thousands on a motor and have to wait to start it in parking lots because people getting in their cars or standing near by and you not wantimg to smoke them out..or it running like crap because of the bad AF mix..

I just hope these heads last for the life of the motor and dont crap out in 500ish miles like the first set from PEP did in the old heads,this new set has the same guides..Ron uses PEP guides in his heads

Ive got over 100 miles and hasnt smoked a once and last 20ish miles ive given it hell..thing is FAST,power is so smooth and trucknis "quite" that you dont even realize how fast your really going..i definitely happy and cant wait to get the vortech on..

I need to sell the mach 1 vortech kit to fund new injectors and pump..plus help pay for the new heads,hopefully i get something back from abacus tomorrow to help also

Well if this is truly a high end head treatment then I would certainly hope that they at least last 200k miles like factory! Think about how many well taken care of and also abused modular motors that are going over 200k still running strong with no leaking valves. One of my friends has a 2001 Grand Marquis with over 200k, still runs baby smooth, another friend had a beater late 90s F150, poor 4.6 was abused by teenagers for who knows how long, still fired right up and ran smooth.

Just like the Windsor motors, they make less power than Chevy and Dodge, but Ford actually did a good job of building a reliable motor. (Except those stupid 3V cam phasers...)

Well if this is truly a high end head treatment then I would certainly hope that they at least last 200k miles like factory! Think about how many well taken care of and also abused modular motors that are going over 200k still running strong with no leaking valves. One of my friends has a 2001 Grand Marquis with over 200k, still runs baby smooth, another friend had a beater late 90s F150, poor 4.6 was abused by teenagers for who knows how long, still fired right up and ran smooth.

Just like the Windsor motors, they make less power than Chevy and Dodge, but Ford actually did a good job of building a reliable motor. (Except those stupid 3V cam phasers...)
Well they are bronze and that doesnt last as long as stock steel guides ..but yea it should last long time..just makes me nervous the old heads with same guides only last about 500ish miles and wallowed out..

Just pray these new heads dont and last..

Something was up/wrong with the old heads. Shops often would knurl the guides to make the fit better. I don't know the details, but I'll bet the finishes of the valves and guides were not very smooth, and they ate each other quickly.

Vrrooomm vrrooommm..early bday present to me (bday is 11/11)...

Stainless steel MagnaFlow Cat-Back exhaust..hope is sounds better than the price tag...lol
20181106_130357.jpg

She's in,took about an hour..sounds really good,definitely very happy with it..

O side note Abacus gave me a full refund ..Chuck is the most stand up guy and the definition of what a shop manager should be..He went above and beyond to work with me..

20181106_193611.jpg
20181106_185909.jpg
20181106_185509.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That exhaust looks and sounds awesome!

Time to get back on that Ranger and set some new records!

Back