SYNC 3 latest version | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SYNC 3 latest version

I don't know if the infotainment system is always powered or not. I do know that the radio can be turned on at anytime without the key being in the area. On 2 occasions my updates were reported as being successful via WiFi but I don't know if it happened while I was driving in/out of the garage or while it was parked in there.:dunno:

Peter
Interesting about the radio. Was not aware of that nor have I tried it. I also wonder how much of this kind of stuff sort of semi winds up in the owners manual. I gave up looking at those years ago as companies started fielding more technology and not really knowing how or how much to present to the owners.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sgt1411 is spot on as usual. Data point(s) for my '17 Explorer Platinum currently running V2.3. Short version - nothing works in terms of updates. Could be that I'm impatient, but doubtful due to Ford's track record...

Details - Would have thought the way this works is truly automatic. Ford releases a new software version, I pull in my garage, car connects to my Wifi network, car downloads and installs updates, car tells me this has happened next time I fire it up. I would also have expected an e-mail notification from Ford's website that an update was available (I checked and have all the right boxes checked and filled in for that to happen). The first I heard anything was thru following this thread. Thanks to all who donate their time to help others.

Here's what I think "might" be going on with the vehicle.
  1. As stated above in a few posts, the auto update feature just doesn't work for V2.3.
  2. With the auto update feature enabled, pushing the "scan for updates" icon on the screen initiates a scan.
  3. The system, already connected to the network, goes out, finds the update and installs it all without any notification on the page. The reason I'm speculating this is what happens is Ford's consistency in providing no information and horrible interfaces in the infotainment system(s). I would expect that when I push the "scan for updates" button, within seconds it would come back with one of two messages; either something like "there are no updates available as you are running the most current software version", or "we found one update for you, would you like to install it?" My system goes in to what another poster listed as scanning "forever" with the scan circle just spinning. I must admit after 5 minutes, I turned the power off, got out of the car and gave up. No idea if it's really doing anything, but wonder what would happen if I let it go for 15+ minutes to download and install? Another question I had asked early on but never heard anybody weigh in on would be does it somehow keep the power applied to the infotainment system so that the auto function could work (assuming it is capable) once I pull in the garage, shutdown, and go in for dinner? I have no idea. If there is not a provision for this to happen, it is also a fail. Just what I want to do is sit in my car while it updates in an "automatic" mode. I'm waiting for the first law suit to be filed by someone who isn't smart enough to shut the engine off in the garage while dorking around with the system and winds up hopefully surviving the ensuing CO poisoning.
  4. Lastly, I thought the thing that would save me was to get on my PC, download the update to a flashdrive, and use that in the vehicle. The good news is the website still remembers me and does display that there is a sync3 software update available. The bad news is when I click on the icon to start the process, it spins "forever". Maybe I'm not patient enough. Anybody got an idea how big the file is? My download speed is 100+ Mbps, a 10GB file (which seems monstrous for an update) would take 15 minutes to download. I haven't waited that long.
  5. Last comment just to vent a bit is one of the reasons I got rid of our '14 Edge was the insanely horrible MFT system. All, including the CEO of Ford, labeled that as a POS. I am still standing my by initial evaluation of SYNC3 as a fast POS as compared to MFT. To digress a bit, the other pieces of the tech package, like the lane departure system are WAY less than impressive which makes me wonder how the big 3 will ever survive the transition to driverless vehicles. I think tech companies will be the winners here with entries like Google, to include the fact Google is developing their own insurance "company" specifically for their vehicles. Good luck everybody with you updates.

You just articulated my experience exactly and my feelings toward SYNC3 exactly. For those who think we are being too critical try using U-Connect or MyLink for a while and see how easy and intuitive it is compared to SYNC3.

Can you tell me how big the update file was that wound up on your USB flashdrive and what the file name was? I can't even make that piece work (download) from my PC. Thanks in advance.

I don't have the file any longer since it never worked at all. My 17 Platinum didn't even recognize that the usb drive holding the folder was inserted in ANY of the usb ports in the car.
Interestingly enough. I had exactly the same issues as you but after reading some of the latest posts on this thread, I tried the wifi update process again from out in the driveway where the car indicates it is connected to my router. After pressing "Scan for updates" it does things for a about 30 seconds and then simply goes back to the "Scan for updates" option. I tries 3 times with the same results. I got no indication that anything happened and check to see my version and it is still 2.3.
:angryfire::mad2:

Can you tell me how big the update file was that wound up on your USB flashdrive and what the file name was? I can't even make that piece work (download) from my PC. Thanks in advance.

System Volume Information File Folder
autoinstall.lst LST File 1 KB
DONTINDX.MSA MSA File 0 KB

When checking the USB drive it showed 1.50 GB used.

Peter

System Volume Information File Folder
autoinstall.lst LST File 1 KB
DONTINDX.MSA MSA File 0 KB

When checking the USB drive it showed 1.50 GB used.

Peter
Thanks. So just keeping the math simple, that would take about 4 minutes to download through my WiFi system and I have left the power on for that long with the system scanning and apparently never finding anything. Started wondering if anybody has had the cojones to try a system reset since that seemed to fix some of the issues encountered when we were troubleshooting using the Alexa app.

Also, I tried the radio power without a key in range; crazy. Never would have thought to try that and it works but I'm guessing it doesn't power up all the modules required for system updates? Otherwise, why would some of the piecemeal instructions Ford has put out require the engine to be running. It's also one of those features where even if you do read all the owners manual literature and the quick start guide, from what I can tell, it never directly tells you that pushing the system power button without a key in range turns the system on. Thanks much for that side bar piece of info since I use the sound system as a litmus test for some of the music recordings I make for people.

Thanks. So just keeping the math simple, that would take about 4 minutes to download through my WiFi system and I have left the power on for that long with the system scanning and apparently never finding anything. Started wondering if anybody has had the cojones to try a system reset since that seemed to fix some of the issues encountered when we were troubleshooting using the Alexa app.

Also, I tried the radio power without a key in range; crazy. Never would have thought to try that and it works but I'm guessing it doesn't power up all the modules required for system updates? Otherwise, why would some of the piecemeal instructions Ford has put out require the engine to be running. It's also one of those features where even if you do read all the owners manual literature and the quick start guide, from what I can tell, it never directly tells you that pushing the system power button without a key in range turns the system on. Thanks much for that side bar piece of info since I use the sound system as a litmus test for some of the music recordings I make for people.
The radio thing is not in the Owner's Manual nor is the fact that visor buttons are also always powered the same way.

Peter

The zip file download from ford owner has a
folder with few large files inside
and 2 small files outside the folder. zip has to be extracted,unzipped. Then have to copy contents directly to usb exactly like this

Folder/
file1
file2

usb has to be exFat.

otherwise if not copied exactly when you plug the usb (has to be plugged in the front usb) nothing happens.

Takes about 4-5mins when inserted for the infotainment to copy files to internal. No message appears during that period.
After files are moved the screen will show message about updating. May be 15-20 mins. I drove my car during the whole process.

BLUF: Success with updating to version 3.0 via PC/USB/Flashdrive after using MS Edge instead of Firefox as my browser to download the file(s).

Details: What a goatrope! Decided to troubleshoot the website going in to an infinite search mode with the spinning circle. I was using Firefox so did everything I could think of with security software, ad blocker, etc to no avail. I let the system search/spin for over 15 minutes without it ever doing anything else. So I tried MS Edge; it worked! I used a 128GBSanDisk USB thumbdrive for the job. You'll likely need some computer skills since the Ford instructions on how to download the file which is zipped aren't all inclusive. You may have to manually extract the files from the zipped file, but the Ford site indicates that will all happen automatically; mine did not. In the end, you'll want these items on your USB drive and I recommend nothing else: a folder named "SyncMyRide" and 2 files named "autoinstall.lst" and "DONTINX.MSA". Once you finally get those, head to the car and fire it up outside. My infotainment system was booted, on, and playing music from another USB drive in the compartment under the system control head.

Plugged my drive in the the USB port inside the console armrest. Initially, nothing happened. At the 2:30 (minutes:seconds) point, a message appeared at the top of the screen saying "Updating System Software...". Everything else (phone, music, and nav) kept working through the install, so you could do this while driving if desired, except for the last step. The instructions say the step that took me 2.5 minutes could take up to 5. No changes until the 20:30 (yes that's over 20 minutes and the instructions say it could take up to 30) when a new window popped up on the screen saying "You may now remove your USB device. Updates will take effect the next time you start your vehicle" with an option to close that window near the bottom. Shut off system, shut off vehicle, opened and closed door, started vehicle and then checked the Sync page; it shows Version 3.0 build 18093. If only I knew what it updated.... I did notice they moved the steering wheel heat icon to the home page underneath the phone information, but otherwise, I have no idea what updates were made.

So to close out this process, you're supposed to bring the USB drive in and upload a file from it back to the site where you downloaded the updates from. This was somewhat comical. I have no idea why, but even after a PC restart and independent of which browser I use, that website seems to be stuck in some loop where it just autocycles through various pages. I have no problems with any other websites that I routinely use, so I was unable to upload the file to tell the system I now have 3.0 loaded in my vehicle.

In the end, I have trouble imagining anything further from "automatic" in terms of updates and cringe thinking about all my relatives and friends driving these vehicles who quite frankly, wouldn't have any idea where to start to get it to update. Maybe this will all be easier when Skynet becomes self aware (Terminator movie).

Thanks for that Viper
Since my previous downloaded files did not work in my 17 Platinum, I dumped the folder off my USB drive.
Based on your great description, I went to the Ford Owner website, logged in and selected my Explorer and that was as far as I could get.
Their crappy website THINKS that just because I downloaded the folder once before, that my Sync MUST be current.
It does not offer me ability to download the files anymore.
BTW...I attempted to download it this time using the Windows 10 Edge browser.
I'm done with this exercise in futility and will make the dealer do it.
:angryfire:

I had to take my wife's 17 Mustang GT to the dealer and have them do the update from 2.3 to 3.0 becausse it would just scan forever but never do anything even though it had a perfect connection to my router which is only 15 feer away when the car is in the garage.
I just tried to do the wifi update on my 17 Explorer Platinum which is also on 2.3 but just like with the wife's car, it will just scan forever and do nothing.
I even tried the downloaded 3.0 thru the USB drive and even though I followed the online instructions to the letter, my Explorer simply does not even respond in any way to this downloaded file. I know the USB works since I use it all the time to play my mp3 music files.
I guess I'll take it to the dealer and have them deal with it.
:(
Hey there BerndM. I just had some luck with my 17 EX Plat. The online instructions aren't that good for using a USB. The abbreviated version is clean everything off your USB drive. Download their file to someplace other than the USB drive (a good place would be your desktop). Move the downloaded file (it is zipped) from the desktop of wherever you saved it to the USB drive. If it remains a single, zipped file once it's on the USB drive, you'll have to extract the files by using a right click dropdown menu item. If you get that to work, move things around so you just wind up with 3 items; a folder named "SyncMyRide" (it will have some files in it), and 2 other separate files named "autoinstall.lst" and "DONTINDX.MSA". Once you get these on your USB and plug it in the car, it just appears to sit there doing nothing for up to 5 minutes. Mine took 2.5 before a message came up saying it was updating. Hope this works for you.

Thanks for that Viper
Since my previous downloaded files did not work in my 17 Platinum, I dumped the folder off my USB drive.
Based on your great description, I went to the Ford Owner website, logged in and selected my Explorer and that was as far as I could get.
Their crappy website THINKS that just because I downloaded the folder once before, that my Synch MUST be current.
Bummer. Just read your reply and sorry to hear that. If you do decide to try one other thing, but standby for frustration, is to re-register yourself and that vehicle on the website? Sadly it appears there is no way to delete your original account there and not even a way to modify the username, but it might be worth a shot.

Update - all you might have to do is to use yet another browser like Chrome or Safari. Basically one that you haven't logged in to the Ford site with????

BLUF: Success with updating to version 3.0 via PC/USB/Flashdrive after using MS Edge instead of Firefox as my browser to download the file(s).

Details: What a goatrope! Decided to troubleshoot the website going in to an infinite search mode with the spinning circle. I was using Firefox so did everything I could think of with security software, ad blocker, etc to no avail. I let the system search/spin for over 15 minutes without it ever doing anything else. So I tried MS Edge; it worked! I used a 128GBSanDisk USB thumbdrive for the job. You'll likely need some computer skills since the Ford instructions on how to download the file which is zipped aren't all inclusive. You may have to manually extract the files from the zipped file, but the Ford site indicates that will all happen automatically; mine did not. In the end, you'll want these items on your USB drive and I recommend nothing else: a folder named "SyncMyRide" and 2 files named "autoinstall.lst" and "DONTINX.MSA". Once you finally get those, head to the car and fire it up outside. My infotainment system was booted, on, and playing music from another USB drive in the compartment under the system control head.

Plugged my drive in the the USB port inside the console armrest. Initially, nothing happened. At the 2:30 (minutes:seconds) point, a message appeared at the top of the screen saying "Updating System Software...". Everything else (phone, music, and nav) kept working through the install, so you could do this while driving if desired, except for the last step. The instructions say the step that took me 2.5 minutes could take up to 5. No changes until the 20:30 (yes that's over 20 minutes and the instructions say it could take up to 30) when a new window popped up on the screen saying "You may now remove your USB device. Updates will take effect the next time you start your vehicle" with an option to close that window near the bottom. Shut off system, shut off vehicle, opened and closed door, started vehicle and then checked the Sync page; it shows Version 3.0 build 18093. If only I knew what it updated.... I did notice they moved the steering wheel heat icon to the home page underneath the phone information, but otherwise, I have no idea what updates were made.

So to close out this process, you're supposed to bring the USB drive in and upload a file from it back to the site where you downloaded the updates from. This was somewhat comical. I have no idea why, but even after a PC restart and independent of which browser I use, that website seems to be stuck in some loop where it just autocycles through various pages. I have no problems with any other websites that I routinely use, so I was unable to upload the file to tell the system I now have 3.0 loaded in my vehicle.

In the end, I have trouble imagining anything further from "automatic" in terms of updates and cringe thinking about all my relatives and friends driving these vehicles who quite frankly, wouldn't have any idea where to start to get it to update. Maybe this will all be easier when Skynet becomes self aware (Terminator movie).

And don't you find it unbelievable that exact process made it through QC and on top of that made it through the meeting of the Ford Infotainment Management Team where they all said "Yup, that's going to be easy peasy for the average Ford customer to do, nice work everyone"

And don't you find it unbelievable that exact process made it through QC and on top of that made it through the meeting of the Ford Infotainment Management Team where they all said "Yup, that's going to be easy peasy for the average Ford customer to do, nice work everyone"
Sadly, what you mention is TOTALLY believable in today's world. Either a bunch of "yesmen" who only really care about their career and getting to the next level and/or not hurting somebody's feelings by telling them to go back to the drawing board and start over or afraid to say what's really on their minds in front of their boss. I have tons of data points that substantiate these claims. The only slack I'm willing to cut anybody here is we are all having to struggle through this transition period with technology. As an example, how many web browsers are out there and how many ways can they all be configured in terms of basics and all the add-on's like malware, ad block, virus protection, etc. Basic math would prove to us that beta testing all those possible combinations/permutations just isn't realistic, so we wind up dealing with problems. Our giant misnomer of "smart" anything should really say "incredibly dumb and complex" when it comes to describing our tech gadgets. Once the machines actually do get some intelligence (and they are/will), things will get better with what we're currently dealing with but the advances will bring about a whole new set of "things" to deal with.

Apparently waiting 24 hours to check the owner.ford.com website after uploading the completion file there is required. When I tried it yesterday, it made the system go in to some weird routine where the entire website became unusable and that was independent of which browser I tried; they all acted the same way. Today it tells me "Your SYNC is up-to-date! Now, you're running the fastest, simplest and best version of SYNC". Along with that, and this is a repeat from upgrading from 2.0 to 2.3, in the history section which can be accessed via the "Full SYNC history" link on the same page with the preceding message, there are installation instructions in the details section of each software update. So it tells me how to install something on a page that doesn't show this information until I've done the installation. Hmmmm. I had no idea Ford was working with space-time warping and time travel. What's worse is the "detail" of what's in the update that can also be found at this section. Here is a screenshot for those wondering about what's in this update, according to Ford assuming I can figure out how to share the pix.

Thanks for that Viper
Their crappy website THINKS that just because I downloaded the folder once before, that my Sync MUST be current.
The dealer will do it but will also charge you for it.

Peter

No he won't since it is considered part of the original 3/36 warranty.
They had to do the same upgrade procedure on my wife's 17 Mustang GT.
It wouldn't do the Auto wifi updates either.
Maybe this depends on your dealership???

Hey there BerndM. I just had some luck with my 17 EX Plat. The online instructions aren't that good for using a USB. The abbreviated version is clean everything off your USB drive. Download their file to someplace other than the USB drive (a good place would be your desktop). Move the downloaded file (it is zipped) from the desktop of wherever you saved it to the USB drive. If it remains a single, zipped file once it's on the USB drive, you'll have to extract the files by using a right click dropdown menu item. If you get that to work, move things around so you just wind up with 3 items; a folder named "SyncMyRide" (it will have some files in it), and 2 other separate files named "autoinstall.lst" and "DONTINDX.MSA". Once you get these on your USB and plug it in the car, it just appears to sit there doing nothing for up to 5 minutes. Mine took 2.5 before a message came up saying it was updating. Hope this works for you.
I find the instructions somewhat straight forward except for the fact that they should mention which OS to use. When moving the files from my desktop to the USB drive they have always shown up with the 3 items. I don't recall ever having to unzip them. I have had issues with using the USB to report the successful download but that seems to happen via WiFi now. On the last two occasions when I was not able to report a download, the correct version/download showed up on my account within a few days.

Peter

I find the instructions somewhat straight forward except for the fact that they should mention which OS to use. When moving the files from my desktop to the USB drive they have always shown up with the 3 items. I don't recall ever having to unzip them. I have had issues with using the USB to report the successful download but that seems to happen via WiFi now. On the last two occasions when I was not able to report a download, the correct version/download showed up on my account within a few days.

Peter
I just don't work with zipped files that often any more, so I'm not sure what happened with mine. The zipped file was on my desktop, and I drug it to the USB drive in the File Explorer window. it said "move" during this drag/drop and not "copy", so maybe that had something to do with it. It showed up on my USB drive still as a single zipped file, so I just extracted the folder/files from there.

I must confess to not looking at nor reading through all the info Ford provides, but you bring up another good point when it comes to computers and programming that will be used to access the Ford site and download the update file(s). The higher end software people usually attempt to cover the most popular PC options and list requirements; e.g. what OS you must be running with windows, memory requirements, chip speed requirements, what browsers are supported, etc. The only thing I believe they did was address the size and type of USB drive required, which as any IT person would tell you, is only part of the equation. They would probably need to address routers also for the WiFi updates but maybe that is addressed somewhere. It feels like they just leave everybody hanging where the only thing that winds up being crystal clear is the system hasn't updated. Then you start to wonder if it's your equipment, your procedures, or ??? Makes it much harder to trouble shoot, even if you have some IT skills.

Circling back to an earlier concept, it would be REALLY nice if this equipment worked as it's supposed to in the automatic mode. When they push a SYNC3 update, I would love for my vehicle to display a window that says something like "SYNC 3 has an update available. Would you like to install it?" with options to snooze (see it again later) or dismiss (delete). I'd guess that one of the most common complaints among tech users is the auto update concept whether that be updates to Google and all their sub programs or operating systems like Windows. One day your stuff works, the next it doesn't due to "improvements". I'm still waiting for smarter machines :)

If BerndM is paying for these updates at the dealership, that is just plain unsat. Is there anyway somebody could point him to a 3rd party location with the files he needs since he can no longer get them from Ford's website. At least he could try a few more things before heading out to the dealership, which is usually a stressful and time consuming experience. Thinking there might be a way to do that and help out via the premium guys or moderator privileges??

I have not done the update yet and owner.ford.com shows that it is available for me.

Do you want me to upload a copy of it after I have installed the update so you can use that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not done the update yet and owner.ford.com shows that it is available for me.

Do you want me to upload a copy of it after I have installed the update so you can use that?
Zodiac - that would be fantastic, but would likely require some intervention from the top rung people on this website. I'm not on here that often, but it doesn't appear there are convenient ways to insert, as an example, an update file as part of a post. Peter - any thoughts?

Back