List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 50 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Interesting.... I wonder why they needed the vehicle for 3 days... did they blend the fenders in?
My hood was received, prepped/sealed and painted per my paint code and, it was done and ready to install, when they called me to setup an appointment. Hood swap took about an hour.

Likely the same reason as mine, was they had to order in the EXPLORER lettering separately,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Likely the same reason as mine, was they had to order in the EXPLORER lettering separately,
Could be wrong, but I don't believe the Base model has the hood lettering.

Peter

Could be wrong, but I don't believe the Base model has the hood lettering.

Peter

You're correct and I was referring to Indy2017Sport, as it took 3 days for his hood to be completed.

You're correct and I was referring to Indy2017Sport, as it took 3 days for his hood to be completed.
My mistake. Got that mixed up with BaseFan.:( Time for a coffee.

Just got mine replaced @ 58500 miles. No lettering but took them 4 days. Not a problem with me, as they provided a courtesy car

Yes, my base model didn't have the lettering to do.... but why not wait until the hood and lettering are both in?

I am not trying to stir the pot but when I was surprised that it would only take an hour to replace the hood, the dealer body shop said that since it is a new hood, they can prep/paint and detail it without my vehicle. When I said I thought they might need my vehicle for a few days, they said only if they had to repair/repaint the existing hood.

Maybe some dealers were just upping the bill to Ford (to include extra labor hours, loaner car costs etc...)

With so many different types of response to the same issue, it is hard to tell why they do what they do and what is correct....

Yes, my base model didn't have the lettering to do.... but why not wait until the hood and lettering are both in?

I am not trying to stir the pot but when I was surprised that it would only take an hour to replace the hood, the dealer body shop said that since it is a new hood, they can prep/paint and detail it without my vehicle. When I said I thought they might need my vehicle for a few days, they said only if they had to repair/repaint the existing hood.

Maybe some dealers were just upping the bill to Ford (to include extra labor hours, loaner car costs etc...)

With so many different types of response to the same issue, it is hard to tell why they do what they do and what is correct....
I'm guessing that the paint would likely need a few days to fully 'cure' so the letters would not be put on right away. Unless a TSB specifically states a loaner can be issued, the cost is picked up by the dealer so there would be little incentive to delay a repair IMO. Also, don't forget that dealerships are independently owned so it would be difficult to find a standard procedure aside from the specified repair procedure.

Peter

Exactly as Peter stated, they will not add the lettering on the Sport until the hood is "cured" and even then, they recommend to not wash the hood for a couple of more weeks.

I'm guessing that the paint would likely need a few days to fully 'cure' so the letters would not be put on right away. Unless a TSB specifically states a loaner can be issued, the cost is picked up by the dealer so there would be little incentive to delay a repair IMO. Also, don't forget that dealerships are independently owned so it would be difficult to find a standard procedure aside from the specified repair procedure.

Peter

Exactly as Peter stated, they will not add the lettering on the Sport until the hood is "cured" and even then, they recommend to not wash the hood for a couple of more weeks.

I see what you mean.... but I was told they don't need to cure the paint as they "bake" it now in a heated booth. Either way, the hood could be painted and cured/baked before bringing in the vehicle. They did mention about not washing or waxing for a few weeks. But even if they needed a few days before putting the letters on, couldn't they paint it and put the letters on before taking in the vehicle? It just seems a waste of space with a car sitting in the body shop taking up space for multiple days. and forcing an owner into a loaner car.

Only thought I had was they may have to line up the lettering from the full vehicle (ie grill) so they need to put the painted hood on the vehicle to place the letters and even if the paint is cured/baked they need to let the lettering adhesive set before it will hold at road speed.

Totally agree with Peter though that each dealer handles things their own way and as long as they get it done, and done right (proper repair procedure), that is what counts.... but it does make me scratch my head at times......

Totally agree with Peter though that each dealer handles things their own way and as long as they get it done, and done right (proper repair procedure), that is what counts.... but it does make me scratch my head at times......
Kind of reminds me of another brick in the wall - "If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

If everyone is following the "proper repair procedure", there shouldn't be much, if any, variance...

Hello!

I've joined the ranks of many folks who seem to be dealing with peeling and bubbling paint especially along the hood (like mine).

Has anyone had any success at getting Ford to cover it? I have an ESP but it doesn't cover paint from what I can see. There is a warranty for 5 year unlimited miles for rust / perforation damage but they are telling me I'm not covered under that.

2016 Explorer w/ ~65k miles

Hello!

I've joined the ranks of many folks who seem to be dealing with peeling and bubbling paint especially along the hood (like mine).

Has anyone had any success at getting Ford to cover it? I have an ESP but it doesn't cover paint from what I can see. There is a warranty for 5 year unlimited miles for rust / perforation damage but they are telling me I'm not covered under that.

Try a different dealership.
I had to change dealership, as the last one where I had my hood replaced flat out told me that after my bumper to bumper warranty was up, the hood will no longer be covered, if the corrosion reappeared!

Hello!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you check your Warranty Guide you will see that aluminum panels are covered for 5 years, unlimited warranty. This has also been posted in this thread several times. Good luck.

Peter

If you check your Warranty Guide you will see that aluminum panels are covered for 5 years, unlimited warranty. This has also been posted in this thread several times. Good luck.

Peter

I am well aware of that piece of the warranty but it does not cover paint or so they tell me.

I am well aware of that piece of the warranty but it does not cover paint or so they tell me.
So, call a different dealership until you find one that will help you.

Several members have had their hoods replaced with new painted ones. I doubt very much that they would just install a new hood and leave it unpainted. The paint is part of the hood which is under warranty.

Peter

EC75F6B0-48F5-49CA-82E6-4AEC44341645_zpsjqpd7kla.jpg

Add me to the list. Dealer appointment on the 15th.

[QUOTE="17 Sport, post: 3732613, member: 330182"
]
EC75F6B0-48F5-49CA-82E6-4AEC44341645_zpsjqpd7kla.jpg

Dealer replaced the hood and provided a loaner for the week with no hassle. I am satisfied

Glad I found this site. I purchased a used 2011 Ford Explorer about 5 years ago. The Hood started peeling last summer and is pretty bad along the edge. Is this something that is still under warranty, I have about 82500 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad I found this site. I purchased a used 2011 Ford Explorer about 5 years ago. The Hood started peeling last summer and is pretty bad along the edge. Is this something that is still under warranty, I have about 82500 miles.
Unfortunately, you are on your own on this issue.

Peter

Back