Installed aftermarket hitch | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed aftermarket hitch

@ColdBloodedUSMC

Throw the hitch on and dolly it. Semper Fi Do-Or-Die!

@Mbrooks420

You are still an embarrassment to this entire forum...and you are high. :laugh:
Haha
Semper Fi
I looked into a few things and I’m seeing that as a reasonable route to go. Shouldn’t be to much for the explorer to handle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for your service. Good luck with your transport. Be safe.

C6A4C646-AF7C-46EF-B63E-F9141E7F53CE.jpeg

The total weight you have is not correct. I’m hauling a 1967 Mercury Cougar. That has a lot of lighter parts and some stuff removed but even stock it weighs just over 2k lbs. the hitch itself is aftermarket but is a class 3. The only reason ford says class 1 (2k lbs limit) is due to there not being a trans cooler and bigger brakes (from what I was told) my question pertains to asking if anyone has legitimate knowledge of the structure of the mounting point in which the hitch is bolted to. (It changes the game quite a bit of its mounted to a little aluminum panel vise the frame)

It would not be recommended.

The total weight you have is not correct. I’m hauling a 1967 Mercury Cougar. That has a lot of lighter parts and some stuff removed but even stock it weighs just over 2k lbs. the hitch itself is aftermarket but is a class 3. The only reason ford says class 1 (2k lbs limit) is due to there not being a trans cooler and bigger brakes (from what I was told) my question pertains to asking if anyone has legitimate knowledge of the structure of the mounting point in which the hitch is bolted to. (It changes the game quite a bit of its mounted to a little aluminum panel vise the frame)

It would not be recommended.

For the same reasons as stated earlier in the thread. Your truck has a rating of 2,000 pounds. Period. You have a weaker transmission, less radiator cooling capacity, possibly different gearing than a tow package rated Explorer. The Explorer is a light duty vehicle now, and for it to be able to tow anything substantial it needs to be specially equipped.

Yours isn’t. Your tow rating is 2,000.

For the same reasons as stated earlier in the thread. Your truck has a rating of 2,000 pounds. Period. You have a weaker transmission, less radiator cooling capacity, possibly different gearing than a tow package rated Explorer. The Explorer is a light duty vehicle now, and for it to be able to tow anything substantial it needs to be specially equipped.

Yours isn’t. Your tow rating is 2,000.
Yeah I know what you said, I have taken note. I want to know what HIS expertise has to offer, that’s why I asked HIM and not you again. If everyone just took one persons information and nothing else we would have a very stupid world. I am a mechanic. I have been for many years, and when I want to learn a specific on something I ask around and get a feel for multiple points of view and avenues of factual information. Something I, among many other Marine Corps leaders, take great pride in, and how many beach battles have Marines lost?? (Little fun fact, none) because we don’t just use one source for information to make an educated decision and choice moving forward.

Good news though. I have a buddy who just bought a 2017 base with tow package. We are going to do some digging and I will let you guys know once I get some facts. Probably a couple weeks before we get around to really getting into the weeds

No need. All the information is here. Just use the “ search” function, and you’ll find it without having to even open any hoods. What I’m saying isn’t an opinion. It’s entirely factual. I know it doesn’t agree with what you want to hear, so you’ll keep asking until someone tells you what you do.

Your “fun fact” is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Your tow rating is set at 2,000 pounds by a team of engineers. I’d be willing to bet more than one of them was a marine.

No need. All the information is here. Just use the “ search” function, and you’ll find it without having to even open any hoods. What I’m saying isn’t an opinion. It’s entirely factual. I know it doesn’t agree with what you want to hear, so you’ll keep asking until someone tells you what you do.

Your “fun fact” is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Your tow rating is set at 2,000 pounds by a team of engineers. I’d be willing to bet more than one of them was a marine.
Has nothing to do with searching for what I want to hear. Has everything to do with getting info from more than just some knucklehead who seems to get worked up way to easy. I like my info from multiple sources. I fix multi-million dollar F/A-18 Fighters in the Marines. I know how engineers work, I know how “limits” are set. It’s called acceptable liability and understood responsibility. If you don’t understand what that means or why I ask my questions then pick up a crayon, shut up and color...

Worked up too easy? You were the one who flew off the off the handle and went all agro like a gorilla who go into the go pills calling names and using the F word.

I fully understand the terminology. I design and re-engineer things daily. Search, and you will find the exact facts.

Your transmission is different. Fact.

Your cooling system is different. Fact.

Your tow rating is 2,000 pounds.

How many people have told you so far it’s a bad idea? Certainly enough to be “multiple sources”. Ever think it’s because they read these forums daily and understand how light duty, and ill equipped your truck actually is?

Just so everyone knows, just got done with some real digging. Wish I would have thought about this before but short story long... my buddy’s father in law works at the ford manufacturer in Michigan. Now he doesn’t build the explorer but I had reached out a while back and he finally got back to me because I bugged him a lot today... according to my VIN, (Mbrooks420, you will like this) the transmission is not different, the cooling system is not different, in fact everything the tow package has I have minus one part, engine oil cooler, which for my short trip on a dolly is nothing. If I was going cross country or using it to haul daily then it could eventually wear down enough on the engine to cause over heat and even warp if it gets bad enough. If there is other substantial evidence that anyone can prove contact or links to, please do so, I would love to bounce this off him and see if he can explain better if needed.

You’d have to compare two vehicles. What transmission do you have? How thick is your radiator? What are your gears? The VIN tells you that your Explorer has an added air duct that is only included on the towing package? I really doubt it.

You’d have to compare two vehicles. What transmission do you have? How thick is your radiator? What are your gears? The VIN tells you that your Explorer has an added air duct that is only included on the towing package? I really doubt it.
3.65 final drive. Radiator is the same on all 2017 explorers and the air duct is part of the engine oil cooling system... which I clearly stated was not installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back