• Register Today It's free!

Clear it up

deziped

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT Sport Trac 4X4
My 2003 Sport Trac 4L AT 4X4 D-LS (4:10) LTR P- dual seats Tow Pkg. needs some clarification. On three documents: State title it's listed as an XST, on CARFAX as XLT, on a Fax Vin as XLS , and then on Truck tailgate the XLT show's up again. Insignificant matter I suppose but just inquisitive. Anyone else experienced this ? Looked for hidden build Sheet (do they use them anymore) but found none.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like those systems are just trying to make sure its listed as a sport trac?
Explorer sport trac XST

XLT is an explorer thing, not sport trac
XLS is an explorer thing, not sport trac

The 2004 Explorer and 2004 Explorer sport trac are completely different trucks/platforms. IN 2002 the Explorer changed very much but the sport trac remained the same until 2005
I can see why the XST designation on your title. The other webistes, the selection of XLT or XLS is like you said insignificant

It sounds like those systems are just trying to make sure its listed as a sport trac?
Explorer sport trac XST

The 2004 Explorer and 2004 Explorer sport trac are completely different trucks/platforms. IN 2002 the Explorer changed very much but the sport trac remained the same until 2005
I can see why the XST designation on your title. The other webistes, the selection of XLT or XLS is like you said insignificant

Explorer sport trac XST

Thanks for the info. It was mfg in Louiville Oct 02 and sold as an 03 in Jan 03. May have just placed the wrong SPORT TRAC XLT (all one piece) decal on it under the Explorer decal. Obviously fairly sloppy work on the line down there as I found screws, nails, change , and other junk in the wire track under the front door sill that was causing wires to short out in the window system's. All good now.

I really doubt nails and change came from the factory.

XLS and XLT (and maybe XL?) were definitely used on the 2003-5 Sport Tracs, and may have started in late '02. The 255-70-16 tires, 4:10 gears, and the factory wheels we would call spoked (as opposed to the teardrop wheels) were part of the XLT package. You could only get that tire and gear combo on the XLT. The wheels may have been optional on the lower series.The '01 and at least early '02s weren't designated XLS or XLT, but the packages were there.

I should note the information I posted above came from the 2002 Sourcebook(?) the salesmen used. The copy I have must be from late in the 2002 model year. Obviously, things changed through the production year, so what I posted may not carry through for '03-5. My '02 has no designation (would be an XLS), nor do I recall seeing any '01s or '02s with the XLT badge/emblem on the tailgate. The bed I swapped onto my '01 last summer (2017) came off a 2002 that would have been an XLT if that designation was being used at the time it was built, but it doesn't have the XLT badge on the tailgate either. Same goes for my '01. The '01 and '02 Sport Tracs had red Sport Trac emblems on the tailgate. The '03-05 Sport Tracs had chrome Sport Trac emblems, and a lot of those said Sport Trac XLT. I don't think they used XLS emblems on the Sport Tracs.

Back