Compatible Engines for 4.0 SOHC swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Compatible Engines for 4.0 SOHC swap

mrbigsexy

Reaction score
City, State
DC Metropolitan Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
Hello all,

I was looking on the forum and eBay for compatible engines for an '02 4x4 Limited Explorer (Vin: E), and I cannot seem to find a definitive indication of what is and isn't compatible. I want to minimize tinkering and messing with this and that. I saw on another thread that ANY long block will be compatible, even from a Mustang. But do the Mustangs and other Ford vehicle engines have the balance shaft as well? I saw Sport Trac engine pics and they show the intake placement, power steering and a few other things different, would it still work if I used the old intake? What about a Flex Fuel engine, would that be compatible with the existing harness and ECU? Is there somethings I should steer clear from in buying an engine that I would not be able to easily swap into my Explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any 4.0 SOHC will work. You will want an '02+ for the tensioner "upgrades". Don't worry about the balance shaft... You'll find that a ton of people have swapped non-balance shaft engines in place of balance shaft engines with no noticeable vibrations.

Thanks for the response, but I was still wondering if there is any real difference between a Flex Fuel engine and the regular one? Does the Sport Trac differ in any way from the others? Or will I really just be able to swap them out without changing any sensors, harnesses, etc.,? I am still looking for engines, so any good advice on where to get one at a good price would help too.

I have an 07 Mustang in my 04 Explorer runs great. I have found when shopping for engines you can get a Mustang engine with less miles for a better price. I bought my engine for $800 with 52,000 miles I couldn't find an Explorer engine for under $1200 with same miles. Easy swap if you are swapping engines.

So is there anything specific to look for when I buy a mustang engine? If my Explorer is automatic, should I buy an engine that was in an automatic? If I buy an older Explorer SOHC engine can I put the upgraded tensioners in it, or will they not fit?

So is there anything specific to look for when I buy a mustang engine? If my Explorer is automatic, should I buy an engine that was in an automatic? If I buy an older Explorer SOHC engine can I put the upgraded tensioners in it, or will they not fit?

I would stay away from a older Explorer engine and upgrading the tensioners. This is very complex and detail means everything. It's basically a throw away engine as they are easily available and fairly inexpensive for a DIY guy. I will take the Mustang engine every time.

upgraded timing chain related components

The upgraded camshaft timing chain related components will fit in any Ford 4.0L SOHC V6 from 1997 to 2010. The installation and timing of the camshafts normally requires the OTC-6488 timing tool kit that can't be rented but may be purchased used for about $150. The installation and timing is not difficult but is labor intensive and requires attention to detail when following specific written instructions. Incorrect installation or timing can result in the destruction of the engine (pistons striking valves) on start up.

From what I have read the main difference in the flex fuel engine is the utilization of seals that can tolerate the higher percentage of ethanol.

As far as I know there are no differences in the long block for an automatic vs a manual transmission. The automatic will have a flexplate with spacer mounted to the crankshaft while the manual will have a flywheel. There may be a difference in the starter.

Does the Mustang motor work on engines with non ETB (02-03)? 04+ Explorer have ETB, and all S197 Mustang have ETB...

long block

Does the Mustang motor work on engines with non ETB (02-03)? 04+ Explorer have ETB, and all S197 Mustang have ETB...

A long block usually consists of engine block, internals, heads, and sometimes timing cover and oil pan. It does not include intake manifold, exhaust manifold valve covers or throttle body.

There are significant differences over the years in intake manifolds, valve covers, throttle bodies, EGR configuration and probably other things I don't know about or can think of at this time. The differences would have to be transferred from the original engine to the replacement engine. Its enough work to discourage many Explorer owners from purchasing a different year or make of engine. That makes less demand for SOHC V6 Mustang engines for Explorers which keeps the selling price lower.

Would anyone know if a 2002 flex fuel engine 2 wd with 50K miles can fit into a 2005 4wd gas engine?

Would anyone know if a 2002 flex fuel engine 2 wd with 50K miles can fit into a 2005 4wd gas engine?
Any 4.0l SOHC will fit, you just need to strip it to a long block, and swap all the components over to the replacement 4.0L SOHC. The Block heads, and pans are all the same, just the window dressing is different.

Any 4.0l SOHC will fit, you just need to strip it to a long block, and swap all the components over to the replacement 4.0L SOHC. The Block heads, and pans are all the same, just the window dressing is different.

Good morning and thank you. Learned today that a bid I placed on a 2002 Explorer was to low (Copart) and I am not going to increase it. I also have learned that the 4.0 manufactured after 2002 is an improved engine over those of 2002 and earlier. Peace and go Explorer.

Good morning and thank you. Learned today that a bid I placed on a 2002 Explorer was to low (Copart) and I am not going to increase it. I also have learned that the 4.0 manufactured after 2002 is an improved engine over those of 2002 and earlier. Peace and go Explorer.
They never improved anything, Its just far easier to change the cassette on the front, because they added a half inch room in the driver side head. you can drop in the cassette without pulling the jack shaft or the pin from the cassette.

Noted, soon I am planning on tearing into this 2005 4.0 (160,000 miles) that I recently purchased and see if there is anything left to work with. Hence my search for any information about this topic. If I replace the engine and get 160K miles Ill be totally fine. My current plan is to get an engine from Powertrain Products. And take comfort in the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. But as a novice I am open to alternative ideas.

I have a 2004 Sport Trac 2wd. I found an ‘09 Explorer with a good engine. What problems should I expect if I were to transplant the ‘09 engine into the ‘04 Sport Trac?

I have an 07 Mustang in my 04 Explorer runs great. I have found when shopping for engines you can get a Mustang engine with less miles for a better price. I bought my engine for $800 with 52,000 miles I couldn't find an Explorer engine for under $1200 with same miles. Easy swap if you are swapping engines.

I have a 98 ford explorer with a 4.0 in it. Will that motor fit in my 06 mustang?

Can a 03 explorer go into a 06 mustang, engine swap? Both are 4.0

Very curious about what’s the best 4.0 to swap in

I do think there was an upgrade to timing components at some point on the 2002 4.0 SOHC. I believe this was a mid-cycle upgrade. MY 2002 is the only explorer where I,ve repeatedly seen referene yo “2002.5” MY (e.g., www.fordparts.com). If memory serves, the operative date is sometime in March 2002.

That said, many, many 2002.5 + models experience premature timing chain failure (which in my book is any failure). So the upgrade was at best a partial fix.

I do wonder to what extent infrequent oil changes or use of crappy oil filters (e.g., Victory Lane, Uncle Ed’s, or other quick lube places’ stock $0.99 filter) contribute to these failures. We’ll never really know for sure....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back