Fuel efficiency... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel efficiency...

Warm Air Intake off the exhaust manifold maybe?

I wonder how much energy (fuel) is lost every time the lockup engages and disengages in OD. I'm often tip-toeing the throttle at 65 and every time I let off the gas, the lockup disengages, when I reapply the gas, it "plops" back into lock up. Everytime, everyday, for years and miles on end.

I figure to get the best mpg highway you need to be the slowest one on the highway. That way you can keep cruise engaged and never have to touch the brakes and be under that 50-60mph window where drag coefficient becomes more of a factor..

You basically have to be like:

"The..low..ri..der.. don't use no gas now."
"The..low..ri..der.. don't drive too fast."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ditto that where I am daily in a three lane parkway with a 35mph limit. It's a tourism mecca of left turn lanes, theaters, restaurants, and shops everywhere. I have to go just about four miles in that both ways.

It's not bad in the morning where traffic can average 45mph most of the time. In the afternoon 35-40 is about average, but you hit about half of the lights red. I try to run near what the best average can be, so half of the cars pass me, and I go by about half. Everyone is trying different lanes all of the time, it's hard to be patient and slowly work my way to the right lane where I turn.

How often do you play with the OD OFF button Don? Do you usually have od off on your route?

How often do you play with the OD OFF button Don? Do you usually have od off on your route?

Yes, I shut off OD at least 30 times a day. I shut the engine off I'd guess 40+ times during my route, we have to take the key out every time we leave the vehicle. So for every parcel that won't fit in the mailbox, we have to get out to take it some where else. I have one big NDCBU set that usually takes 10 parcels or more, so one stop get rid of 10% or more of my load. I used to have a route with a large complex that they all went to the office, and that was 15-25 packages.

I'll find time to hunt a relay that has a delay in it, and wire that into the OD switch circuit. Then it'll be off until I want to select 4th gear.

Your truck has hard service! Impressive.

Back