Explorer Code P0016 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Code P0016

Jason Stockton

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I have a P0016 code and was told to replace the crankshaft position sensor on the front bank, part SU14117. Looks like it could be a number of things so my question is, is this a good first start to fixing the problem? The part is cheap enough so I thought I would try it. Where is this located? I searched both the internet and looked in the engine compartment and couldn’t find it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a P0016 code and was told to replace the crankshaft position sensor on the front bank, part SU14117. Looks like it could be a number of things so my question is, is this a good first start to fixing the problem? The part is cheap enough so I thought I would try it. Where is this located? I searched both the internet and looked in the engine compartment and couldn’t find it.
enginediagram.JPG

Well that certainly doesn’t look like something I can do in my driveway with my 130 pc tool set.

The Explorer seems to start and run fine. Is this a good indication that it might be the sensor or could it be something more serious even though It’s not showing any other symptoms?

After looking up the code it's leaning more
toward the CAMshaft and not the CRankshaft one. You have 4 camshaft sensors and 1 crankshaft one. Since there is only one code it would be safe to assume it's related to the Camshaft sensor reading being off.

Proper way to diagnose the issue is to have an oscilloscope and connect the output of the crankshaft sensor and the output of the cam shaft sensor to it and see the results.

You can try swapping the sensor but because it is variable valve timing most DIY would go for the experienced mechanic it it wasn't the sensor.

The sensor in question is labeled above as Camshaft Position 1 1. You can swap it with Position 1 2 and see if the error code changes from P0016 to P0017.

P0016.JPG

After looking up the code it's leaning more
toward the CAMshaft and not the CRankshaft one. You have 4 camshaft sensors and 1 crankshaft one. Since there is only one code it would be safe to assume it's related to the Camshaft sensor reading being off.

Proper way to diagnose the issue is to have an oscilloscope and connect the output of the crankshaft sensor and the output of the cam shaft sensor to it and see the results.

You can try swapping the sensor but because it is variable valve timing most DIY would go for the experienced mechanic it it wasn't the sensor.

The sensor in question is labeled above as Camshaft Position 1 1. You can swap it with Position 1 2 and see if the error code changes from P0016 to P0017.

View attachment 151852

Thanks for the help. I think I'm gonna leave this one to the pros. I don't see a real easyish way to get to it. Do you think it would be ok to drive about 45 miles to the mechanic or do I risk something catastrophic?

Welcome to the Forum Jason.:wave:
Sorry I can't help with the driveability question. Hopefully some other members will have a better understanding of that part.

Peter

I called my independant mechanic this morning and he said it's most likely an issue with the timing chain. He said that the Ecoboost engines have been seeing a number of issues with the chains being stretched by the turbo. A couple of other symptoms I have been experiencing such as knocking/rattling for a couple of seconds on cold start and slight missing under load and accelaration lead me to believe it is the chain.

Ford has a 5 year/60k mile power train warranty. We are 7,000 miles over that. Since it's known that the timing chain is becoming more of a problem lately my hope is that Ford works with us to cover the cost of repairs or at least helps us out. Does anyone have experience with getting repair work done by Ford close to the warranty with known significant problems like this? I'm bringing it to the Ford dealership where we got it to hopefully have them help us, but they didn't sound too enthusiastic about it. Any suggestions on what I should do? I have a bad feeling that this isn't going to work out for us, but I don't think it's acceptable to have to replace a timing chain on a vehicle that only has 67,000 miles on it.

I called my independant mechanic this morning and he said it's most likely an issue with the timing chain. He said that the Ecoboost engines have been seeing a number of issues with the chains being stretched by the turbo. A couple of other symptoms I have been experiencing such as knocking/rattling for a couple of seconds on cold start and slight missing under load and accelaration lead me to believe it is the chain.

Ford has a 5 year/60k mile power train warranty. We are 7,000 miles over that. Since it's known that the timing chain is becoming more of a problem lately my hope is that Ford works with us to cover the cost of repairs or at least helps us out. Does anyone have experience with getting repair work done by Ford close to the warranty with known significant problems like this? I'm bringing it to the Ford dealership where we got it to hopefully have them help us, but they didn't sound too enthusiastic about it. Any suggestions on what I should do? I have a bad feeling that this isn't going to work out for us, but I don't think it's acceptable to have to replace a timing chain on a vehicle that only has 67,000 miles on it.
Don't get your hopes up Jason. Found several thread on 'timing chain' using the 'Search' feature.
2011 limited stretched timing chain, weeks out of warranty.
Timing Chain Already???

Peter

I saw those too when I first started lookign for information regarding the code. I wanted to believe that my issue was a simple sensor replacement, but it's not looking like that is the case. I have to wait and see what happens I guess. Too hard to speculate what, if anything they will do or how much the repair will cost. Everyone's situation that I have run across is different so it's hard to say for sure what will be the case for us, but like you said, I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll report back when I have more details.

I saw those too when I first started lookign for information regarding the code. I wanted to believe that my issue was a simple sensor replacement, but it's not looking like that is the case. I have to wait and see what happens I guess. Too hard to speculate what, if anything they will do or how much the repair will cost. Everyone's situation that I have run across is different so it's hard to say for sure what will be the case for us, but like you said, I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll report back when I have more details.

You in warranty? 5 years / 60,000 miles?

Have an oil change recently? Where did you get your oil changed? What brand did they use? If not sure look at the oil filter and see what brand filter it is.

Have an oil change recently? Where did you get your oil changed? What brand did they use? If not sure look at the oil filter and see what brand filter it is.

I'm due for an oil change. I got it done at my independent mechanic's shop. It's a FVP filter.

I'm curious why you ask. When I brought it in for the startup knock he thought it was because the oil was needing to be changed. The oil change helped it some, but the knock came back.

Because oil viscosity impacts cam phasers. I would personally switch to Motorcraft oil and filter and stop using what the mechanic is putting in. I've never heard of FVP before.

I've always used Motorcraft oil and filters on all my Ford cars. My ranger has 250k miles and has never had and internal engine issues (yet).

I heard back from the dealer on the repair they said around $2200. Initially, Ford was not going to cover any of the repairs because I am out of warranty so I called Ford customer service and politely asked if they could at least help with the repair costs. I was pleasantly surprised when they said Ford would cover 25% and the dealer would cover another 25% of the repair costs, plus a free rental car.

I heard back from the dealer on the repair they said around $2200. Initially, Ford was not going to cover any of the repairs because I am out of warranty so I called Ford customer service and politely asked if they could at least help with the repair costs. I was pleasantly surprised when they said Ford would cover 25% and the dealer would cover another 25% of the repair costs, plus a free rental car.
Good to hear Jason. It never hurts to ask.

Peter

Have them change the water pump while they are in there. $40 part and should be no more labor since they are tearing into it already.

I've been reading about P0016, which recently surfaced on my wife's 2014 Sport. No drivability issues at all to this point. Not down on power or MPG, runs smooth. No rattle or start up noise. Everything I've read indicates this code is synonymous with timing chain (and associated hardware) replace which is a significant job. Not something I am looking forward to on this vehicle at 100k with some rust issues. Any hope of it being just a sensor?

Or should I plan on chains, guides, tensioners? Who does phasers and water pump while its apart?

I've been reading about P0016, which recently surfaced on my wife's 2014 Sport. No drivability issues at all to this point. Not down on power or MPG, runs smooth. No rattle or start up noise. Everything I've read indicates this code is synonymous with timing chain (and associated hardware) replace which is a significant job. Not something I am looking forward to on this vehicle at 100k with some rust issues. Any hope of it being just a sensor?

Or should I plan on chains, guides, tensioners? Who does phasers and water pump while its apart?
@buck91
Wish I knew, guy, but the timing related codes I'm just not "up" on (yet). imp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your thread has been moved to the existing one. This should help you out with trying the sensor first.

Back