Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models

My Sirius was basically unusable for months - I took the vehicle to Ford in Sept, who quoted me the text from the Bulletin SSM 47499 and sent me on my way. I have been checking back here regularly for updates on a fix but haven't seen anything posted. However, my Sirius has been working flawlessly for over 2 weeks now. So I was wondering if anyone heard of any fixes having been applied.. As far as contacting Sirius, i called them a few months ago and informed them that my radio was not working - they told me they would mark my account and when i call them back to let them know that Ford applied a fix - they would refund me the money for time the radio was not working.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

........ As far as contacting Sirius, i called them a few months ago and informed them that my radio was not working - they told me they would mark my account and when i call them back to let them know that Ford applied a fix - they would refund me the money for time the radio was not working.
A few members have reported that their Sirius has started working again. As for a refund, if you are on the 6 month free trial, I don't understand how they can issue a monetary refund. I could see a discount on a subscription but not money back.

Peter

A few members have reported that their Sirius has started working again. As for a refund, if you are on the 6 month free trial, I don't understand how they can issue a monetary refund. I could see a discount on a subscription but not money back.

Peter
Thanks Peter, I am past my 6 month trial and have a paid subscription now.

I just got a new 2018 Explorer limited 3 days ago. 2 days ago we noticed the "Acquiring Satellite Signal" message. It does it intermediately.

I just got a new 2018 Explorer limited 3 days ago. 2 days ago we noticed the "Acquiring Satellite Signal" message. It does it intermediately.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
So far I haven't noticed any reported issues with the 2019 Explorer.

Peter

Hi all, just spoke to a dealer a few minutes ago about this issue. Ford is aware of this problem and is currently working on a fix. He believes a TSB will be released to dealers in as little as a week. He also told me the fix is in the form of a software update but we will have to bring the car in to the dealer to have the update installed. He's supposed to call me as soon as the TSB comes in, I'll post here as soon as I have any updates.

-Tom

I have a new 2018 Ex Plat with 200 miles on it. The SiriusXM radio works...sometimes. I am often left without anything as the radio displays "Acquiring Satellite Signal", often after I have been listening for a while.

Has anyone else had a similiar problem?
Mine says the same thing. Im so irritated. They have tries twice to fix and nothing...I get the run around

Update - after having antenna replaced, Sirius refresh signal, master reset on vehicle, the problem returned yesterday and again this morning. Clear skies and no obstructions I lost the signal about 5 miles in to my morning commute. The "Acquiring Satellite Signal" notification showed on screen for over 45 minutes during my drive. I have travelled the same route for over 15 years and none of my vehicles had any type of satellite reception issues. I have scheduled another appointment with the dealer - only 750 miles on the vehicle. So sad!

Im so mad too!! I buy a brand new explorer that doesn't work properly. I dont even want it anymore now. Im over this crap. Pissed AF. I filed a claim.

I'm guessing an engineering issue with the new shark fin antenna. Remember the difference between 17 model year and 18 model year is they now have the 4G LTE antenna up there too. I bet its a shielding issue causing interference.

My 2017 Sirius is rock solid never drops unless I'm in a tunnel.

My 2018 model has an antenna not a fin but since I have had it the satellite radio hasn't been working well at all. I have took it three times to try and fix. They just give us the run around. I will not buy another Ford again. I wish I kept my Dodge Durango. At least Dodge fixed things and paid for my rental . I dont want my explorer anymore at all

My 2018 model has an antenna not a fin but since I have had it the satellite radio hasn't been working well at all. I have took it three times to try and fix. They just give us the run around. I will not buy another Ford again. I wish I kept my Dodge Durango. At least Dodge fixed things and paid for my rental . I dont want my explorer anymore at all
Welcome to the Forum Patricia.:wave:
Did you read back through the previous posts before you posted? You will see that there currently is no fix and you're wasting your time going to the dealership. The actual issue is also explained. All the info you need is already posted.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Patricia.:wave:
Did you read back through the previous posts before you posted? You will see that there currently is no fix and you're wasting your time going to the dealership. The actual issue is also explained. All the info you need is already posted.

Peter
No peter I did not read all this 8 pages of posts before I took my explorer to the dealership 3x. They told me to keep bringing it back. Plus my screen went black 2 months after owning it. I am not wasting my time, Ford is. Thank you

Hi all, just spoke to a dealer a few minutes ago about this issue. Ford is aware of this problem and is currently working on a fix. He believes a TSB will be released to dealers in as little as a week. He also told me the fix is in the form of a software update but we will have to bring the car in to the dealer to have the update installed. He's supposed to call me as soon as the TSB comes in, I'll post here as soon as I have any updates.

-Tom
Thank you for giving me the best information so far, Tom!

If you go back further, you'll see why the issue is there in the 2018.

Peter

-Tom
Wonder how he knows that the TSB will be coming out? Well sounds good to me what you are stating and hope it is true. I was just at my local dealer Thursday, November 8th and he printed out information of my vehicle and a comment with that about loosing the signal .. also showed similarities trouble with the Escape and the engineers are working on it. Good luck to all!

You have every right to be frustrated with the system, Ford has really struggled with multimedia systems.

Even people I talk to within Ford shake their head at how poorly executed MFT and SYNC3 has been.

Ford was the last of the big 3 to add 4G cellular connectivity to their multimedia system and its the one with the most significant integration issues. On* and U-Connect don't have these issues, they were also rolled out years ago, Ford had extra time to test and QC.

I just found another bug with the Navigation audio, when the SYNC3 system is broadcasting audible direction information the audio is cut off at the end often missing the street or Ave. i.e. If the audio should broadcast " Stay on I5 for 9 miles"............it will often chop to "Stay on I5 for........"

It's doing this in my 17 Explorer and my work 18 F150

Purchased a new Explorer 6 weeks ago. The radio can only acquire Sirius radio service about half the time. It keeps flashing "Acquiring Sirius Satellite".
Sometimes it comes on for a few minutes, loses service, then trys again and again before locking it in -- if at all. If you turn the ignition off, then it repeats the process again. Reported to Sirius and they said not their problem. Reported to Dealer and they took it to Ford. No customer service from Ford to date.
Anyone else having this problem?

Purchased a new Explorer 6 weeks ago. The radio can only acquire Sirius radio service about half the time. It keeps flashing "Acquiring Sirius Satellite".
Sometimes it comes on for a few minutes, loses service, then trys again and again before locking it in -- if at all. If you turn the ignition off, then it repeats the process again. Reported to Sirius and they said not their problem. Reported to Dealer and they took it to Ford. No customer service from Ford to date.
Anyone else having this problem?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

Central Florida here. Yes, just read through all the forum... New 2018 Explorer 4k miles, just started doing this. Intermittent same as everyone else. Radio worked great for first few months but has now started this issue. Dealership today says wait for the engineers to produce a mass fix, they expect it to be within a few weeks, then bring it in for the fix. Was in the radio business for 40 years, dealt with a lot of propagation issues like ducting, skip, and so on through the years for what it's worth. I'm thinking its the new antenna....someone missed the harmonic frequency interference on the multiplex receive antenna during design. Needs to have a dedicated antenna for each, OR find a way to isolate the signals and reduce interference at the head within the software, so it will probably be a sync software patch at least to start - since that is going to be a LOT less expensive if they can achieve greater isolation that way. Will keep everyone updated as I hear more. Dealer basically saying "we know its an issue, can't do anything yet". Good luck to all, keep us updated with your fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Central Florida here. Yes, just read through all the forum... New 2018 Explorer 4k miles, just started doing this. Intermittent same as everyone else. Radio worked great for first few months but has now started this issue. Dealership today says wait for the engineers to produce a mass fix, they expect it to be within a few weeks, then bring it in for the fix. Was in the radio business for 40 years, dealt with a lot of propagation issues like ducting, skip, and so on through the years for what it's worth. I'm thinking its the new antenna....someone missed the harmonic frequency interference on the multiplex receive antenna during design. Needs to have a dedicated antenna for each, OR find a way to isolate the signals and reduce interference at the head within the software, so it will probably be a sync software patch at least to start - since that is going to be a LOT less expensive if they can achieve greater isolation that way. Will keep everyone updated as I hear more. Dealer basically saying "we know its an issue, can't do anything yet". Good luck to all, keep us updated with your fix.

Thank You but the Dealer or Ford was not honest about informing their customers about the problem. Do appreciate the update .

Back