Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models

Central Florida here. Yes, just read through all the forum... New 2018 Explorer 4k miles, just started doing this. Intermittent same as everyone else. Radio worked great for first few months but has now started this issue. Dealership today says wait for the engineers to produce a mass fix, they expect it to be within a few weeks, then bring it in for the fix. Was in the radio business for 40 years, dealt with a lot of propagation issues like ducting, skip, and so on through the years for what it's worth. I'm thinking its the new antenna....someone missed the harmonic frequency interference on the multiplex receive antenna during design. Needs to have a dedicated antenna for each, OR find a way to isolate the signals and reduce interference at the head within the software, so it will probably be a sync software patch at least to start - since that is going to be a LOT less expensive if they can achieve greater isolation that way. Will keep everyone updated as I hear more. Dealer basically saying "we know its an issue, can't do anything yet". Good luck to all, keep us updated with your fix.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The curious thing is that for many the problem doesn't occur until quite some time after buying the Explorer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank You but the Dealer or Ford was not honest about informing their customers about the problem. Do appreciate the update .
I don't know if "not honest" is the wording to use. 'Not informative' would be a better terminology I think. Unfortunately, this lack of communications is nothing new for Ford and has been a subject here many times over the years. Also, in many cases, members of this forum have proven to have more info on certain issues than the dealers.
A post here on August 7th identified the issue as per Ford. Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models

Peter

Peter - Thanks, will wait for Ford fix to take it back in. Meanwhile, just fixed it myself today. Sat reception is great until it goes in.

Peter - Thanks, will wait for Ford fix to take it back in. Meanwhile, just fixed it myself today. Sat reception is great until it goes in.

And the fix is?

There are several ways people could get test out whats going on but they involve taking things apart...you could throw on a dash mount satellite antenna with a neutral fakra connector, if you don't want to use ford pass pull the power to the modem.... or switch the antenna connections on the modem....or pull the main antenna and move the 2nd antenna to the main leaving the 2nd antenna port disconnected.

This string about the Sirius radio stuck acquiring signal dates back to March 2018. How long should consumers wait for Ford to fix the problem before going to the press or starting a class action lawsuit now that the automaker acknowledges the problem?

This string about the Sirius radio stuck acquiring signal dates back to March 2018. How long should consumers wait for Ford to fix the problem before going to the press or starting a class action lawsuit now that the automaker acknowledges the problem?
A 'fix' depends on what the actual issue is and how to best resolve it in the current model. So far there have not been any reports of a similar issue with the 2019. But then again, most 2018 owners didn't have the issue show up, in some cases, until months after their purchase. There is nothing stopping anyone from "going to the press" if they so desire. A class action lawsuit I think would be overkill and likely never get off the ground. Ford has admitted there is a problem and is trying to resolve it. Also, just because the thread goes back to March, doesn't necessarily, mean that it was discovered to be a common issue at that time.

Peter

A 'fix' depends on what the actual issue is and how to best resolve it in the current model. So far there have not been any reports of a similar issue with the 2019. But then again, most 2018 owners didn't have the issue show up, in some cases, until months after their purchase. There is nothing stopping anyone from "going to the press" if they so desire. A class action lawsuit I think would be overkill and likely never get off the ground. Ford has admitted there is a problem and is trying to resolve it. Also, just because the thread goes back to March, doesn't necessarily, mean that it was discovered to be a common issue at that time.

Peter

Thanks, Peter. I've had the problem since May. It took me months of pounding the poor guys at the Ford dealership before Ford recognized the problem. No error code, you know. I've worked with electronics for 20 years. I knew a problem existed. You buy a car and expect everything to work. And if it doesn't work, you at least expect them to fix it. I didn't get acknowledgement from Ford that the problem existed until October. It will likely become a recall, but how long will that take. Great car, but you just want everything to work as promised.

Thanks, Peter. I've had the problem since May. It took me months of pounding the poor guys at the Ford dealership before Ford recognized the problem. No error code, you know. I've worked with electronics for 20 years. I knew a problem existed. You buy a car and expect everything to work. And if it doesn't work, you at least expect them to fix it. I didn't get acknowledgement from Ford that the problem existed until October. It will likely become a recall, but how long will that take. Great car, but you just want everything to work as promised.
Fords FIRST TSB was August 2018 ... even at that it is three months ... the thread goes back to May 2018 ... it’s not a priority and not a safety issues ... so we WAIT

I am in the same boat as all of you, 2018 Platinum where the Sirius has never worked consistently. Added to keep up to speed on what I can tell my dealership...as they are happy to sit back and wait. I make sure I send the GM, Sales Manager, and both Service Managers an email every 2 weeks. Once a fix comes out, will work on them to add more free months to this useless radio account.

Welcome to the Forum SwansonBJ3.:wave:

Peter

My media contact at Ford says to expect a fix by mid-December. ;) Happy Thanksgiving.

Mine has been working flawlessly again for the last month now. I have no clue why though. It leads me to believe it may not be a hardware issue.

So has anyone had any luck with a solution to this issue? We just bought a brand new 2018 and have been having issues with a no sinal message coming up but Sirius in not working when this happens. My wife is planning to take it in to have it looked at but not a huge priority for her right now.

So has anyone had any luck with a solution to this issue? We just bought a brand new 2018 and have been having issues with a no sinal message coming up but Sirius in not working when this happens. My wife is planning to take it in to have it looked at but not a huge priority for her right now.
If you read some of the previous posts, you will find your answers.

Peter

Well since my question was if people had luck with solutions I didn’t see any that said if it did or didn’t solve the problem.

Well since my question was if people had luck with solutions I didn’t see any that said if it did or didn’t solve the problem.
My apology. I moved your posts. I thought this was the thread you originally posted in. Your answers are all here.

Peter

Mine has been working flawlessly again for the last month now. I have no clue why though. It leads me to believe it may not be a hardware issue.

Same with my wife's truck. I'm afraid to jinx it :)

Have a 4 month old 2018 explorer Sirus issue started a month ago. No ETA to fix the problem from Ford... No wonder the stock is trading so low, bad customer service and bad product.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have a 4 month old 2018 explorer Sirus issue started a month ago. No ETA to fix the problem from Ford... No wonder the stock is trading so low, bad customer service and bad product.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your post was moved to this thread which will explain what is going on with this issue.

Peter

Back