old guy, wife said get a hobby, 94 explorer | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

old guy, wife said get a hobby, 94 explorer

Its camber
Sounds like you have some negative camber going on up front

If you decide to keep it lifted you can install some camber correction shims to bring the front end back into spec with an alignment
Do this after you decide to either lower truck or keep lifted (yeah! we love lifted explorers here)
Re gear or not and buy smaller tires or not

You know which way I would go
(keep lifted, re gear, keep 33" tires, fix 4x4, smile alot)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its camber
Sounds like you have some negative camber going on up front

If you decide to keep it lifted you can install some camber correction shims to bring the front end back into spec with an alignment
Do this after you decide to either lower truck or keep lifted (yeah! we love lifted explorers here)
Re gear or not and buy smaller tires or not

You know which way I would go
(keep lifted, re gear, keep 33" tires, fix 4x4, smile alot)
5 revolutions of drive shaft = 2.75 revolutions of rear wheel.
in neutral. both rear tires off ground only one wheeel turned
jmczzz

We want to know how many times the driveshaft goes around per ONE revolution of the tire
If you have an open diff then it will be TWO revolutions of the tire
Mark the tire, mark the driveshaft
count one more time for me

With both tires off the ground,
open diff = when you spin one tire the other spins the opposite direction
Posi or limited slip rear = other tire will not move or spins the same direction

If we look at what you did is you spun the tire 2.75 times and got 5 d shaft turns
2.75 / 5 = 1.81 revolutions per tire turn
With an open diff and two turns this gives us 1.81 x 2 = 3.62 Right in between 3.55 and 3.73.....
Your diff tag said 3.27.
It looks like somebody MIGHT have installed 3.73 for you = win win
With 3.73 and auto I would run 31" tires, still look pretty good on a 3" lifted sport!
But its only clear as mud right now......

The saga continues!

That would be a very high gear ratio. Something didn't work out right here--

Both wheels should have spun, I wonder if a rear drum brake is dragging some. do both rear wheels feel free?

If I spin a tire on my limited slip the other tire turns same direction.

Both wheels should have spun, I wonder if a rear drum brake is dragging some. do both rear wheels feel free?

no the drivers side tire requires both hands and more pressure to turn he tire than the pass side. i was underneath turning the drive shaft. I will go do it again and turn the pass side wheel one revolution and count the drive shaft revs.

We want to know how many times the driveshaft goes around per ONE revolution of the tire
If you have an open diff then it will be TWO revolutions of the tire
Mark the tire, mark the driveshaft
count one more time for me

With both tires off the ground,
open diff = when you spin one tire the other spins the opposite direction
Posi or limited slip rear = other tire will not move

If we look at what you did is you spun the tire 2.75 times and got 5 d shaft turns
2.75 / 5 = 1.81 revolutions per tire turn
With an open diff and two turns this gives us 1.81 x 2 = 3.62 Right in between 3.55 and 3.73.....
Your diff tag said 3.27.
It looks like somebody MIGHT have installed 3.73 for you = win win
With 3.73 and auto I would run 31" tires, still look pretty good on a 3" lifted sport!
But its only clear as mud right now......

The saga continues!
no the drivers side tire requires both hands and more pressure to turn he tire than the pass side. i was underneath turning the drive shaft. I will go do it again and turn the pass side wheel one revolution and count the drive shaft revs.

10-40on the recliners and naps
roscoe

@jmczzz ,

By the time you are done with everything I'll bet the wife never tells you to get another hobby!

LOL.

Watching with interest.

ok second try: 1 REV of tire = 1.60 rev of drive shaft. trans in neutral on pass wheel turns. If i put trans in park turn pass wheel forward drivers side wheel turns reverse. drive shaft DOES NOT TURN.

ok second try: 1 REV of tire = 1.60 rev of drive shaft. trans in neutral on pass wheel turns. If i put trans in park turn pass wheel forward drivers side wheel turns reverse. drive shaft DOES NOT TURN.

Enjoy it!

You worked hard for it!

waiting on new instruction... (sitting in recliner, so .......)

Good time to check for light leakage on the back sides of your eyelids...

I concur
1.6 x 2 = 3.2 or 3.27, stock gearing

With 33's!! Oh the poor auto trans.........

I concur
1.6 x 2 = 3.2 or 3.27, stock gearing

With 33's!! Oh the poor auto trans.........
so do i need to change the back diff and the front diff.and if so what is the ideal? and where do i get them?

It's a little more complex to change out both axle assemblies than one would think.

Junk yard may have them but finding (2) of the same ratio in good condition may be tough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a little more complex to change out both axle assemblies than one would think.

Junk yard may have them but finding (2) of the same ratio in good condition may be tough.
ok what are my options?

Back