• Register Today It's free!

Turbo Failure Again

Shane lewis

Reaction score
City, State
Collinsville,Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
So at 132,000 miles I lose the rear turbo taking out the front turbo with it. Replace both turbos with factory replacements, flushed the intercooler, and all piping. Now 5,000 miles later again the same thing????? Both times the rear turbo losing its nut, and sending parts into the front turbo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Shane.:wave:
Did you do the work the first time or did Ford do it? Ford has a warranty on genuine replacement parts and labour. Parts are warrantied for 24 months and labour is covered if the work was done at a Ford/Lincoln dealership.

Peter

Did you do the work the first time or did Ford do it? Ford has a warranty on genuine replacement parts and labour. Parts are warrantied for 24 months and labour is covered if the work was done at a Ford/Lincoln dealership.

Peter

If an independent shop has an account with Ford and buys the parts through the dealership parts department they are also covered under that same 24 month P&L warranty. I know my shop is covered, it is why I pay $175 for a water pump from them vs $90 on rock auto with next day air.

Could you explain the failure a little more?
How do the parts from the rear turbo get to the front turbo?

Peter

Labor is also covered. Just have to submit the bill to Ford for reimbursement if under the 2yr warranty on a failed part.

Peter
I did the work, parts are from Ford, and under warranty.

Could you explain the failure a little more?
How do the parts from the rear turbo get to the front turbo?
The first time I had a grawling noise, then blue smoke, and low power. When removed the rear turbo had damaged impeller and shaft play. Both turbos lost there nuts, and turbos had been replaced sometime before I bought the Explorer. This time it was surging, and churping. Pulled the intake tube it has metal in it. Pulled both turbos the rear lost its nut, broken shaft, and destroyed impeller. The front turbo was puking oil, and has damage to the impeller.

If the nuts were the cause of the failure, wouldn't that be due to a bad installation?

If the nuts were the cause of the failure, wouldn't that be due to a bad installation?
The first set I put on were new Ford units, all I did was remove the old and install the new.

The first set I put on were new Ford units, all I did was remove the old and install the new.
Going to assume you followed the correct torque specs etc...
Could very well be a defective turbo and the extreme heat caused the failure.
Hope the dealership can replace them under warranty for you.

Going to assume you followed the correct torque specs etc...
Could very well be a defective turbo and the extreme heat caused the failure.
Hope the dealership can replace them under warranty for you.
I have the new turbos already replaced under warranty. Waiting on some seals from Ford now. I'm a little concerned with it eating turbos. I replaced all the fluids, flushed everything, new seal, gaskets, and hardware. All new Ford parts.

Is it possible you have an oil delivery issue?

What "nuts" are you referencing? The nut holding the impeller to the shaft? Did the nuts back off ont heir own or did the shaft break at/near the nut? You need to be very clear around here and provide background details, lest people jump to all kinds of conclusions that are, at best, just wrong or, at worst, WTF are they talking about...

Is everything OEM or do you have a tune (i.e. running more than standard boost levels)?

I've had a few turbos over the years. The only ones I've had that broke shafts were the ones that were run with excessive overboost and it takes it's toll on turbos. It's part of the price you pay for "moar" power.

The few others I've seen with broken/seized shafts were almost always oil related issues or other abuse. Usually the shaft breaks, sometimes at/near the nut, sometimes near the middle. I can't say I've ever seen any where the nuts have just loosened on their own though.

What "nuts" are you referencing? The nut holding the impeller to the shaft? Did the nuts back off ont heir own or did the shaft break at/near the nut? You need to be very clear around here and provide background details, lest people jump to all kinds of conclusions that are, at best, just wrong or, at worst, WTF are they talking about...

Is everything OEM or do you have a tune (i.e. running more than standard boost levels)?

I've had a few turbos over the years. The only ones I've had that broke shafts were the ones that were run with excessive overboost and it takes it's toll on turbos. It's part of the price you pay for "moar" power.

The few others I've seen with broken/seized shafts were almost always oil related issues or other abuse. Usually the shaft breaks, sometimes at/near the nut, sometimes near the middle. I can't say I've ever seen any where the nuts have just loosened on their own though.
100% stock. OEM parts all from Ford.The nut that hold the impeller onto the shaft. The nuts just backed off. And the shaft broke in the middle.

that's strange, if oil pressure is getting to the turbo so the shaft doesn't seize and the vacuum hose to the wastegate is not leaking so it isn't over revving it would be a bad turbo, but having so many failures is rare. You woudnt be able to open it to do an inspection incase they say you have tampered with it. Turbocharger Failure Analysis: What Went Wrong and How to Fix It

Only time I had that happen was on a supercharger and I accidently overtightened the shaft nut by torqueing it backwards and the impeller let go:thumbsup:

So, the truck is on its third set of turbos? Do I understand that correctly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back