Turbo Failure Again | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo Failure Again

Three sets of turbos failing without some external contributing factor does sound far-fetched...
I agree, but I have read many posts on the Flex forums of the same thing. With no clear reason for the failures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

100% stock. OEM parts all from Ford.The nut that hold the impeller onto the shaft. The nuts just backed off. And the shaft broke in the middle.
The threads on your impeller shaft are intact, but the nut is gone and the shaft broke in the middle. That seems odd to happen once, let alone multiple times. To me, that seems like a mfg defect (i.e. not assembled and torqued properly)

So, the truck is on its third set of turbos? Do I understand that correctly?

Three sets of turbos failing without some external contributing factor does sound far-fetched...
Wait a minute - is the truck currently on it's 3rd set of turbos or has it had 3 sets of turbos fail and is on its 4th set of turbos? This place makes my head hurt...

A set was replaced before he got it.

He’s replaced two sets.

It’s currently on its 4th set of turbos.

Seems odd to have a manufacturing defect on 6 turbos. I’m assuming the turbo comes assembled as a unit with the impeller shaft installed, so it’s not an installation error.

A set was replaced before he got it.

He’s replaced two sets.

It’s currently on its 4th set of turbos.

Seems odd to have a manufacturing defect on 6 turbos. I’m assuming the turbo comes assembled as a unit with the impeller shaft installed, so it’s not an installation error.

I thought he hadn't put the 4th set in yet, so still on the 3rd (failed) set. Even if one were to allow for the possibility that 6 turbos in one production batch were bad, the idea that all 6 would end up on the same truck seem pretty astronomical...

I thought he hadn't put the 4th set in yet, so still on the 3rd (failed) set. Even if one were to allow for the possibility that 6 turbos in one production batch were bad, the idea that all 6 would end up on the same truck seem pretty astronomical...
Only 1of2 failed, in which the first one caused metal to get sucked into the 2nd turbo causing damages.

Is there threadlock on the shaft's threads?

Me and my wife are on third set now just f.cking went out again .what is ford's malfunction

Me and my wife are on third set now just f.cking went out again .what is ford's malfunction
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
According to the posts, you are only the 2nd one to experience more than one failure so it doen;t seem to be a common issue. Perhaps it is a defective unit. That can happen. Regardless, it's a pain to have to deal with it again. Is the part still under warranty? How many miles on the part and vehicle? Good luck and please report back when fixed. Thanks.

Peter

3rd set of turbos? What else was replaced with each turbo replacement? What specifically failed in the turbos each time? Was it debris intake, bearing failure, overheating, etc? What is the oil change history? Did they change the oil feed lines or or oil return lines? Did they test oil pressure or send the oil out for analysis? Did they flush or replace any hot pipes or the intercooler? Were the replacement turbos new stock, rebuilt stock, rebuilt aftermarket, used stock, new aftermarket, etc? The probability of 6 turbos failing due to manufacturer defects is probably on par with winning the lottery! I would take a hard look at external factors causing multiple turbo failures. I'm curious to know what failed on the turbos each time.

I've had the same issues. First time was a 2013 Explorer Sport. Both turbos went out due to the impeller nut coming off and taking the engine with it. Lost compression on bank 2. Sold that car and bought a 2016 Platinum. At around 89K miles the rear turbo went out due to the nut coming off the impeller shaft. Replaced the turbo. Now we are less than 20K miles later and same thing happened with the front turbo. Both turbos replaced this time. So it's def not a rare issue.

I been on this forum for years and that is the first time ive ever heard of repeat turbo failures. Watching the ford tech channels on youtube will show that tarnished oil and clogged oil supply lines are the absolute #1 reason for turbo failures. The Ford recommended service intervals are really not that great. Oil should be changed every 3k miles on turbo car. I don't care what anyone says that oil is getting heat soaked significantly more than a naturally aspirated engine and it needs religious monitoring.

Usually incorrect torquing of the nut is not the primary cause of failure. Its more likely oil starvation. Here is a good read on it. Common turbocharger failure - loose turbo shaft nut I would also agree that factory oil change intervals are insufficient.

Back