• Register Today It's free!

Battery Cables

wagonmaster69

Reaction score
City, State
Hacienda Heights, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 1999 explorer 4x4 4.0 ohv.
I need to get new battery cables for it.
Where would I need to go to get some made cause of the positive has two leads and I don't like the stock replacement terminal posts.
What type of shop would I need to go to?
I was thinking an car audio shop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A car audio shop will simply take some high dollar cable and out a distribution style terminal end in it, most likely.

I’d probably just get some wire from the auto store and a better quality lead clamp. If you don’t want a set of regular lead clamps, I’d get something like this:
3E1DF43D-4427-492F-AF71-4262517378F0.jpeg

That's what I'm using on my 99 Eddie

IMG_20181207_163010.jpg

No I cut the old ends off and stripped enough off the end to stuff in each hole. Then it closes down with a Allen key. Has 4 openings for different gauge wires.

No I cut the old ends off and stripped enough off the end to stuff in each hole. Then it closes down with a Allen key. Has 4 openings for different gauge wires.
Thanks.
Also what gauge wire should I use for the positive and negative cable?

Stock I think is 6? gauge for the main POS and neg and then 8 gauge for neg to frame. I upgraded my neg to frame to 4 guage because it pretty much was green oxidized all the way through and is very skimpy and left the rest of the stock wires.

If your redoing the whole thing I would do 4 guage all around except the wire to the alternator unless your upgrading it only because it will only fit 6? Guage terminal on the alternator POS wire itself I think unless you shave it down.

I would think it’s higher than 6. I’d run AT least 4, and probably go to 2awg.

I have a 1999 explorer... I don't like the stock replacement terminal posts.

Keep in mind that the originals lasted 20 years?

I'm probably overdue to do this myself, where did you get those or what did you search for to find them.

Put Mbrooks420's pic into google image search and it gives these links:

https://www.amazon.com/InstallGear-Positive-Negative-Battery-Terminal-x/dp/B00NQ7U982

InstallGear 2/4/8/10 Gauge AWG Positive Negative Battery Terminal Clamp... New | eBay

Back