2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 65 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Same issue described throughout this thread...our 2012 Explorer gives the "Power Steering Assist Failure" warning about 1/10 times we start it up but we've always been able to turn off the car and restart it...until yesterday.
Twice when my wife has been driving, the power steering has failed...she had to pull over to the shoulder and restart the vehicle--manhandling the wheel through those failed EPAS motors is no easy task for her--a definite road hazard.
I drove it by force to the local Ford Service center this morning. They were able to replace a gear in the EPAS system under recall which for now has resolved the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same issue described throughout this thread...our 2012 Explorer gives the "Power Steering Assist Failure" warning about 1/10 times we start it up but we've always been able to turn off the car and restart it...until yesterday.
Twice when my wife has been driving, the power steering has failed...she had to pull over to the shoulder and restart the vehicle--manhandling the wheel through those failed EPAS motors is no easy task for her--a definite road hazard.
I drove it by force to the local Ford Service center this morning...three hours and no solution but they did call to tell me there was no recall on it. I'm more annoyed with the hours of labor I'll be charged for them to troubleshoot what should obviously be a KNOWN issue.

Although no recall, pretty sure all 2012s were covered for 1 free replacement and it was extended for 10yrs/150,000 miles. If not all 12s, there was a timeframe of certain built 12s. I'd research further... my 11 was covered under it.

I have a 2015 Sport with 34k miles and suffered the power steering loss along with traction control last Wednesday 200 miles from home while driving 65+. Managed to find a Ford dealer but they could not look at the problem for several hours. After the car had been off fro about 15 min. they suggested I start it up to see if it reset. It did reset and I made it home. Brought into the local dealer the next day and they put it through the diagnostics detail in the shop manual and found nothing. No error codes and all tests passed. Is it likely that this will be an isolated incident? This is our road trip car and I'm now worried about driving across country and having this problem reappear in the middle of nowhere.

It is hard to say if it was an isolated incident but I would suspect it may happen again.:(

Peter

Hello,
I own a 2015 Ford Explorer with 42576 miles. We were just told by the Ford dealer that the power steering module needs to be replaced. I have called Ford and they gave me the whole "Sorry it's outside your warranty" . Has anyone else had any success getting this covered? I don't want to have my family in an unsafe vehicle.

Mike Daddario

I have a 2015 Sport with 34k miles and suffered the power steering loss along with traction control last Wednesday 200 miles from home while driving 65+. Managed to find a Ford dealer but they could not look at the problem for several hours. After the car had been off fro about 15 min. they suggested I start it up to see if it reset. It did reset and I made it home. Brought into the local dealer the next day and they put it through the diagnostics detail in the shop manual and found nothing. No error codes and all tests passed. Is it likely that this will be an isolated incident? This is our road trip car and I'm now worried about driving across country and having this problem reappear in the middle of nowhere.
Four days after getting the car back from the dealer while driving to work I got an alarm and notice of a steering fault and I should seek service now. Called, then returned to the dealer later that after noon. That was Friday; Monday I got a call that the steering rack was being replaced. Luckily this is still covered under the 12 month extended ESP warranty put in effect by buying "certified" car.

My fiancé started having issues on Sunday with her 2016 Limited. 38K miles on the odometer, but we have the platinum ESP warranty. Dealer can't get it in until next Tuesday.

So far, the issue is only that you can hear something is off, and the wheel doesn't return to center when turning left or right. It still turns easily. I think I am going to have her drive mine until we get hers into the shop.

My fiancé started having issues on Sunday with her 2016 Limited. 38K miles on the odometer, but we have the platinum ESP warranty. Dealer can't get it in until next Tuesday.

So far, the issue is only that you can hear something is off, and the wheel doesn't return to center when turning left or right. It still turns easily. I think I am going to have her drive mine until we get hers into the shop.

I forgot to update this thread. Dealer confirmed that the rack needed to be replaced. They did it under our ESP warranty with no issue.

So I took a quick look at this thread, but it is huge... I have not had any sensor lights come on but this winter I noticed my Steering wheel gets stiff from about 20 degrees to 30 degrees left or right of center, I thought maybe y PS fluid was low until I found out I do not have a power steering reservoir. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what might be wrong since I do not seem to have the main problem that others are experiencing and I have no warning lights showing up?
Thank you

Finally got my Ex back from the dealer. Lost power steering on Thurs. 12/20. Fortunately leaving work which is right behind the dealer. Had to order new steering gear, which with the holiday didn’t arrive until yesterday. Good News is Ford covered everything!

So I took a quick look at this thread, but it is huge... I have not had any sensor lights come on but this winter I noticed my Steering wheel gets stiff from about 20 degrees to 30 degrees left or right of center, I thought maybe y PS fluid was low until I found out I do not have a power steering reservoir. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what might be wrong since I do not seem to have the main problem that others are experiencing and I have no warning lights showing up?
Thank you
Mishtar,
I didn't have any lights either. The steering just got tight, wouldn't return to center, and you could hear the pump and gears whining. Definitely get it checked out.

Mishtar,
I didn't have any lights either. The steering just got tight, wouldn't return to center, and you could hear the pump and gears whining. Definitely get it checked out.

There is no pump.

At 42K and 59K, I brought my 2015 Exp xlt to the dealership for advance track and power steering failures, losing all control of the vehicle while driving. At 62500, when the vehicle was no longer under warranty the power steering failed again and this time would not reset. They replaced the steering rack. But it cost me $1100 for the part, Ford covered the labor. This part will fail its just a matter of time.

At 42K and 59K, I brought my 2015 Exp xlt to the dealership for advance track and power steering failures, losing all control of the vehicle while driving. At 62500, when the vehicle was no longer under warranty the power steering failed again and this time would not reset. They replaced the steering rack. But it cost me $1100 for the part, Ford covered the labor. This part will fail its just a matter of time.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

You didnt say what was done at 42k and 59k. Also, you were out of warranty at 36k for power steering

There is no resetting it that fixes it. Once it fails, it needs to be replaced as it will fail again and again.

Just had my epas replaced under warranty at close to 130k... steers better (less effort and hopefully no more power assist fault), but now it has a leak in the exhaust near the flex pipe. Back it goes to the dealer on Monday..:mad2:

Mine just went out again for a 5th time driving to dinner with the family. Went about 5,000 miles since the last time it happened. I am at 138k now.

Mine just went out again for a 5th time driving to dinner with the family. Went about 5,000 miles since the last time it happened. I am at 138k now.

do you mean you've replaced it 5 times.....or had it give you trouble 5 times?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you mean you've replaced it 5 times.....or had it give you trouble 5 times?

Replaced once early one, replaced a 2nd time a few months back, went out on the way home... replaced again a 3rd time.... went out again on the way home... "wiring" was the issue and repaired... went out again pulling into my driveway.. power cable replaced that connects epas to battery or junction block.. ran fine for 2 months, went out a 5th time last night.

Sitting at dealer now as service is closed on Sundays.

Back