What is this I have 2005 ford explore | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is this I have 2005 ford explore

shirley klotz

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford exploer
I seen this right after I got my vehicle, it's on diver side. but not sure what it is.

Also my gas hand can't be working right. How many miles can you go on a full tank? When it gets to 175 miles my light comes on need gas.
20181130_161312.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a switch, and it’s not from the factory. What it’s for is anybody’s guess.

Are there aftermarket lights on the truck? Is there an aftermarket alarm? Have you tried switching it?

How many gallons does it take to fill when the light is on?

Definelty an aftermarket switch as said above.

How many gallons does it take to fill when the light is on?

Definelty an aftermarket switch as said above.
@Mbrooks420
My '04 4.0 makes it to 300 miles, semi-rural driving, at which time gauge reads about 1/8. It will take 17-18 gal. to fill full. Warning lamp supposedly comes on @ 2 gal. left, never had it come on (may be NFG). Tank capacity supposedly 21 gallons. imp

@Mbrooks420
My '04 4.0 makes it to 300 miles, semi-rural driving, at which time gauge reads about 1/8. It will take 17-18 gal. to fill full. Warning lamp supposedly comes on @ 2 gal. left, never had it come on (may be NFG). Tank capacity supposedly 21 gallons. imp

I think there is a problem with the sensor level will need to be replaced. Says it's empty at only 174 miles

Its a switch, and it’s not from the factory. What it’s for is anybody’s guess.

Are there aftermarket lights on the truck? Is there an aftermarket alarm? Have you tried switching it?

I now the radio is an after market,

There is a red light that flashes when car is locked.
@Mbrooks420

What is nfg?

NFG = no good.

When it says it’s empty how many gallons does it take to FILL it? This will tell you if you have a gauge issue, or a consumption issue.

I just filled it

I'll wait till light comes on and see. It should hold 21 gallons right

You won’t get 20 gallons in unless you drive it to fumes. 19 should be pretty normal.

NFG = no good.

When it says it’s empty how many gallons does it take to FILL it? This will tell you if you have a gauge issue, or a consumption issue.
@Mbrooks420

Whew! I'm fortunate you bailed me out on that one.......forgot I may be offending someone other than the dock-workers, like me! imp

Shirley, is your Explorer a 4x4? Reason I ask is that switch may be for the "Brown Wire Mod". Just wanted to toss that into the discussion being how winter is close at hand. Best wishes,
Doc

Shirley, is your Explorer a 4x4? Reason I ask is that switch may be for the "Brown Wire Mod". Just wanted to toss that into the discussion being how winter is close at hand. Best wishes,
Doc

Yes it is 4x4 what is brown wire mod?

BWM is basically a switch cut into the brown colored wire that energizes the electromagnetic clutch which enables 4x4. Some folks don't like AUTO 4X4, the BWM overrides that feature.

BWM is basically a switch cut into the brown colored wire that energizes the electromagnetic clutch which enables 4x4. Some folks don't like AUTO 4X4, the BWM overrides that feature.

There is no clutch in my car no stick shift

There is no clutch in my car no stick shift
No this is for the automatic 4x4 function of the transfer case where it will engage the front driveshaft on slippery road conditions. Not at all related to automatic or manual transmission.

Back