Adding fog lights to 2016+ Base Explorer? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding fog lights to 2016+ Base Explorer?

I've seen discussion on adding fog lamps to base model but not 2017 model. Concerned there is not
wiring already installed to hook up OEM assembly. Also, with all the different lighting types available don't want to have different color bulbs than the other headlights. Anyone have experience with this?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been moved to this one on the same topic. I believe the Base has LED low beams so if that is correct you'll want LED fogs as well.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This thread doesn't work???
I can't say for sure but I think that thread just shows the assembly and not how to install. Also, your profile shows 1996 Sport. I'm guessing that you have a 2016 Explorer? If so, please either update your profile or add the newer Explorer to a signature so members will know what you have. Thanks.
BTW, the member you quoted hasn't been active here since December 31, 2016.

Peter

I can't say for sure but I think that thread just shows the assembly and not how to install. Also, your profile shows 1996 Sport. I'm guessing that you have a 2016 Explorer? If so, please either update your profile or add the newer Explorer to a signature so members will know what you have. Thanks.

Peter
I updated to the 2017 Explorer I now own. The dealer parts guy said I would need to get a new wiring harness to plug into the main harness (which replaces the current light harness), lights, plus the switch. Then the BCM would need to be reprogrammed. If they did it all, $1500. If I did it and was successful, they would charge $100 to reprogram the BCM. I see a wiring harness on the parts.ford.com website but can't be sure if its the correct one. A part number would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know if these are the harnesses the dealer mentioned or not; Wiring Harness for 2017 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake Harness #2 mentions w/o fog lamps. I haven't been able to find anything else on the wiring. Even the fog lamps page doesn't show wiring; Fog Lamps for 2017 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
I use this site often as it shows the actual part numbers. BTW, thanks for supporting the site with your Elite membership.:thumbsup:

Peter
Wonder why they don't list the wiring harness for the fog lights....weird! Tried calling the factory CS and parts, can't hardly get through to a person, much less any valuable info. They want everything to go through the dealer....

Wonder why they don't list the wiring harness for the fog lights....weird! Tried calling the factory CS and parts, can't hardly get through to a person, much less any valuable info. They want everything to go through the dealer....

Ahhhhh! I changed vehicle on this site until I got to one that had the fog light wiring harness. Its the Platinum model.
Wire Harness - Ford (HB5Z-14290-AA)
SHOP FOR RELATED PARTS IN WIRING HARNESS
  • Other Names:Wiring Assembly
  • Description:
    3.5L turbo, with fog lamps.

Ahhhhh! I changed vehicle on this site until I got to one that had the fog light wiring harness. Its the Platinum model.
Wire Harness - Ford (HB5Z-14290-AA)
SHOP FOR RELATED PARTS IN WIRING HARNESS
  • Other Names:Wiring Assembly
  • Description:
    3.5L turbo, with fog lamps.
Just wonder if there is a difference in the harness for the non turbo.

I don't know if these are the harnesses the dealer mentioned or not; Wiring Harness for 2017 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake Harness #2 mentions w/o fog lamps. I haven't been able to find anything else on the wiring. Even the fog lamps page doesn't show wiring; Fog Lamps for 2017 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
I use this site often as it shows the actual part numbers. BTW, thanks for supporting the site with your Elite membership.:thumbsup:

Peter
I see in a previous thread where someone said they also bought "brackets" for the mounting of the lights? Does anyone know where they bought them? I have purchased the oem lights and switch. I would like to find out how to replace the switch if anyone has info oin that I would greatly appreciate. And, if there is any pics/video on installing the lights? Would love to get the wiring harness and just have the dealer program the bcm for $100!!

I can't say if the brackets are the same on the 2017 as the 2011-15, but for the early years they look like this and cost about ~50 for the pair:

(FO2602103, FO2603103)
s-l1600.jpg

Peter
PS - I also still own a 1996 Explorer Sport that has> 400k miles I use for a trash/wood hauler. How do I put both on the site?

I can't say if the brackets are the same on the 2017 as the 2011-15, but for the early years they look like this and cost about ~50 for the pair:

(FO2602103, FO2603103)
s-l1600.jpg
Thanks, but 2016-2017 totally different......

PS - I also still own a 1996 Explorer Sport that has> 400k miles I use for a trash/wood hauler. How do I put both on the site?
Click on your name at the top right of the page and from the pull down list select "Signature" and add the info there.

Peter

I picked up an 18 Explorer base model no fogs just the covers were they should be does anyone know were I can get after market? Also before I start pulling things apart will the harness be there to plug into ? Thnx

sorry i do not know and want to wait for the answer. maybe you can find in the froum or inthe web? I am new in the modifiying:confused:

hi everyone I’m new here and I need some help , I have 16 exp base looking to add the fog lights , did someone did it before , thanks guys

hi everyone I’m new here and I need some help , I have 16 exp base looking to add the fog lights , did someone did it before , thanks guys
Your post was edited and merged with this existing thread found using the 'Search' feature. Good luck.

Peter

I am also interested in this. I have a sub to Haynes if you want wiring diagrams or if there are modules that might help with this in general

I picked up an 18 Explorer base model no fogs just the covers were they should be does anyone know were I can get after market? Also before I start pulling things apart will the harness be there to plug into ? Thnx
Your thread was merged with this existing one. Hopefully there is some useful info here.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a *link to wiring diagram for the exterior lighting system on 2016-onwards.

Edit: click on link to access, not sure why it's still showing as

Back