2018 Explorer Foot Activated Liftgate - Intermittent | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer Foot Activated Liftgate - Intermittent

Michael W

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 Explorer Platinum
I have a 2018 Platinum and I am suddenly having a regular problem getting the foot-activated liftgate to open. It has worked once in the past month.

I have looked under the rear and see no obstructions (I don't even know what the sensors look like).

I do have a light that is plugged into my hitch but even removing that does not fix the problem.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the sensors are to the right and left of the tow hitch and that is where the kicking motion should be done. My mistake initially was kicking too far under the bumper. Guessing that you are doing it correctly. I can't really say why it is intermittent. I would guess it either works or it doesn't if it was an electrical issue.

Peter

I had the opposite issue that it was over sensitive in the cold/wet, and would open whenever it wanted, even if I were walking 3 feet away from the bumper. It was never resolved and I hacked the feature to be disabled.

I had the opposite issue that it was over sensitive in the cold/wet, and would open whenever it wanted, even if I were walking 3 feet away from the bumper. It was never resolved and I hacked the feature to be disabled.
Did you have the TSB done?

Peter

Long, long time ago, sadly.

Is there a TSB for the '18?
I'm guessing it would be the same one since it was issued in 2016 for the 2016 Explorer. The TSB also states it is for those without the tow package, which you have. It is listed in the TSB thread.

Peter

Do you possibly have your phone and keys in the same pocket? If so, this WILL interfere and I confirmed it with mine and now never carry in same pocket and works 99% of the time on the first try.

I tried it with my phone in the house and it still didn't work.

Back