PTU Problems | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't look like it, no part numbers for that on the WO.
Do you think they had to remove the coolant lines to get the PTU out?
No mention of that on my work order, but it seems my EX has started to develop a very slow coolant leak, which became noticeable after PTU and transmission replacement.

Do you think they had to remove the coolant lines to get the PTU out?
No mention of that on my work order, but it seems my EX has started to develop a very slow coolant leak, which became noticeable after PTU and transmission replacement.
Without punctuation my WO is hard to read but I'll add the comma's: "Removed PTU and coolant lines, installed new PTU with new vent, installed coolant lines." I think that's what the Tech meant.
I haven't crawled under there to look but my take is that the coolant lines are attached to the PTU and have to be removed to replace the unit. Maybe one of the experts who has done a hands-on repair can chime in about this.

The Explorer ran smooth today, fingers crossed it stays that way.

Without punctuation my WO is hard to read but I'll add the comma's: "Removed PTU and coolant lines, installed new PTU with new vent, installed coolant lines." I think that's what the Tech meant.
I haven't crawled under there to look but my take is that the coolant lines are attached to the PTU and have to be removed to replace the unit. Maybe one of the experts who has done a hands-on repair can chime in about this.

The Explorer ran smooth today, fingers crossed it stays that way.
I thought only the PIUs have a cooled PTU?

Later model EcoBoost and towing package has cooling I think.

I stand corrected.
How did he get so lucky?
My 2016 Sport, which also has the class3 towing did not get a new watercooled PTU.
Is this a standard on Platinum and PIU models?

His took a dump at 29k.. so is he really that lucky? Lol

I am trying to find that info now on what constitutes a cooled vs non cooled ecoboost ptu.

So one thing I just found out (maybe it is well known) is the cooler for the ptu is a bolt on cooler and all it does it keep the surface of the ptu cooler. Apparently the cover of the ptu is different to accept the cooler to bolt on.

Just an update on my situation. I remembered my dealer has a special for their customers where they warranty the drivetrain for 100k miles but you need to have alls scheduled services done there. I brought the explorer there but they denied me on coverage because I missed an oil change there. I was quoted $800 to fix the seal and $3k to replace the PTU if need be. They also quoted me $1200 just for the PTU... Needless to say I went to another ford dealer who sold me a PTU for $650 and brought it with me to the transmission shop where they will examine mine closely to determine if they should replace it or not. If they feel my current PTU is OK, I will just return the one I bought today since I have 30 days. So now I wait and see.

I do kind of feel I should just have the new PTU installed regardless but am I just wasting money in that sense?

@royaki
Seems like a solid plan. Prob what I would have done. It’s a tough call. I guess I would rely on judgement of transmission shop. Or if u plan to keep car for long time that may make decision to replace it easier. It’s cool they let you bring your own parts. It seems like many places force you to buy their parts at 2x mark up typically. I think it’s 4-5 hrs labor to get it out. So that’s approaching half the cost of the repair based on your $650 unit.

@royaki
Seems like a solid plan. Prob what I would have done. It’s a tough call. I guess I would rely on judgement of transmission shop. Or if u plan to keep car for long time that may make decision to replace it easier. It’s cool they let you bring your own parts. It seems like many places force you to buy their parts at 2x mark up typically. I think it’s 4-5 hrs labor to get it out. So that’s approaching half the cost of the repair based on your $650 unit.
Good advice. My WO states it was 5.3 hours for the overall repair.
You might ask the transmission shop what the difference in price is between a 'repair and refill' of your existing old design PTU and a 'remove and replace' to install the new design PTU. If you're planning on keeping that car then it might be some peace of mind with the newer/better design PTU in place if the cost difference is close.

So one thing I just found out (maybe it is well known) is the cooler for the ptu is a bolt on cooler and all it does it keep the surface of the ptu cooler. Apparently the cover of the ptu is different to accept the cooler to bolt on.
I just double checked my work order from the dealership and they also installed part# DG1Z-7251-F, but the details of the work performed did not mention anything about installing cooler lines.
I'm going to have to crawl under in the spring and see if they simply left the ports unused, as my EX does not have the plumbing from the older PTU.

I just double checked my work order from the dealership and they also installed part# DG1Z-7251-F, but the details of the work performed did not mention anything about installing cooler lines.
I'm going to have to crawl under in the spring and see if they simply left the ports unused, as my EX does not have the plumbing from the older PTU.

Well that is interesting.. here is a water cooled without the lines hooked up. Will be easy to spot... you can see how it just bolts onto the PTU so it isnt like it is one unit.

You realize we can't wait till the Spring to find out, right? Lol
W.jpg

Well that is interesting.. here is a water cooled without the lines hooked up. Will be easy to spot... you can see how it just bolts onto the PTU so it isnt like it is one unit.

You realize we can't wait till the Spring to find out, right? Lol
View attachment 165606

Well that was a bust and now I have to go home and change clothes (did it at work's underground parking and it was wet from melted snow).
I jacked up the passenger front side crawled under and can barely see the PTU as it is right above the dual exhausts and blocked by the subframe.

My Recent PTU experience:

I recently (Nov 2018) replaced the PTU on my 2013 Limited AWD with 85k miles through the dealership. Leaking the black slug referenced several times above in the thread. The dealership did not suggest refilling or other repairs. I had called Ford Care in advance to register a case number with them (this may be why it was decided to replace versus repair). Upon FOMOCO’s review of the repair and my service records, they came back and offered $270 towards the $1450 repair. I am out of warranty so I was not expecting too much, but I am also disappointed it seems to be a known issue (design?).

Side note:

I am becoming increasingly disappointed with the longevity of the vehicle as I have replaced both rear bearings, PTU and now a hearing the front bearings are getting noisy. I realize bearings are “wear” items - however I would expect more than 100k miles before failing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am becoming increasingly disappointed with the longevity of the vehicle as I have replaced both rear bearings, PTU and now a hearing the front bearings are getting noisy. I realize bearings are “wear” items - however I would expect more than 100k miles before failing.

My experience with bearings has been all over the place. Some barely made it past 60K (granted, on a car that was by then nearly 25 years old), some reached around 125K.

Back